Interested in Visiting Orymylia

N

Nik0s

I have contemplated going to Greece someday for a vacation. I have learned a bit about Mt. Athos and that Orymylia is a convent affiliated with that monastery. My question is if being Orthodox would be a requirement to visit?

I enjoy studying the Byzantine Empire and appreciate the beauty of icons.
Welcome to TAW! I assume you mean the monastery of the Annunciation in Ormylia. (In Orthodoxy, the word for a female monastic/ monastery is the same as male) Mount Athos is a monastic community with many monasteries, the Annunciation monastery in Ormylia is associated with Vatopedi monastery on Mt. Athos. To my knowledge, you wouldn't need to be Orthodox to visit, but I'm not 100% sure. You could always try calling them! :)

thessaloniki / Visiting Ormylia

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,167,733.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The convent at Ormylia is beautiful. Many of the sisters there are highly educated and many are from English speaking backgrounds (Australia, UK, etc.) so communication won't be an issue. We were always among the last visitors to leave each time we went and from there we would always go immediately to the nearby monastery of St Arsenios for the evening service.
At the convent there is a courtyard with tables and chairs where refreshments are brought out to visitors and one of the sisters will sit with you to answer any questions. Next time we go to Greece my wife will arrange to stay there a few days while my son and I visit Mt Athos.
The convent puts a lot of effort into looking after visitors so I know you will be welcomed very warmly. It is probably our favorite place in all of Greece.

Upvote 0

Solace Girl

May 6, 2004
Illinois
✟324.00
Faith
Catholic
Thank you for the warm welcomes! My knowledge of Eastern Orthodoxy largely comes from studying history. It is nice to be be able to learn about this church in the modern world.

I suppose I should ask about the surrounding area. Would I have to get lodging far away? The only other country I have been to so far is China; and there were hotels in most of the towns I visited.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,456,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
if you have time, why not check a Church out here in the states first. the services would prolly be in English (or mostly in English), so that way you would have a better idea when you go to Greece. plus it is one thing to see a service in a book, it's something else to see it in person.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
if you have time, why not check a Church out here in the states first. the services would prolly be in English (or mostly in English), so that way you would have a better idea when you go to Greece. plus it is one thing to see a service in a book, it's something else to see it in person.

That's very good advice.

If possible, even more than one service. I went to quite a few and always followed along in the book or printed part (since much of the service is in Greek) but the one time I didn't have the right printed guide so I just stood there and LISTENED without reading - it was like heaven. It would have been a while before I experienced that, I'm sure, if it hadn't happened by mistake. I'm thankful I didn't have the guide.

With such a wonderful opportunity, I would hope you can take full advantage of it. :)

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,167,733.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for the warm welcomes! My knowledge of Eastern Orthodoxy largely comes from studying history. It is nice to be be able to learn about this church in the modern world.

I suppose I should ask about the surrounding area. Would I have to get lodging far away? The only other country I have been to so far is China; and there were hotels in most of the towns I visited.

There are actually hotels quite nearby on the waterfront between the village of Vatopedi and the town of Metamorphosi. I'll see what I can find out for you. The monastery of St Arsenios is visible from there as well. There is another convent dedicated to St John the Baptist not far from Metamorphosi also. In fact there are at least 20 monasteries that I am aware of within one hours drive from Thessaloniki. It is probably the one thing I miss the most about not living there any more.

If you hire a car to get around, make sure the car has a good (not flat) spare tyre and it has a functioning car jack with all the necessary tools. Oh, and make sure the spare tyre is also one that fits the car. I speak from experience. If you can hire from a place that also includes roadside assistance, all the better.

Upvote 0

GoingByzantine

Seeking the Narrow Road
Supporter
Jun 19, 2013
✟92,845.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I agree with Matt, you should definitely try to go to a church here in the states first, it would probably be a wonderful experience. There are also a number of Orthodox monastic communities here in the states as well, plus some Eastern Catholic ones.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums