Galilee63

Dec 14, 2013
Australia
✟43,924.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Only if I drink a coffee or tea after 3pm Bill.

If I stay off caffeine and tea after 2 or 3pm and exercise daily (my Elderly Mother is the same) then sleep like a baby after praying The Holy Rosary to Jesus and Mother Mary.

A walk or swim for 30 minutes a day is key to sleeping more soundly.

You probably do this anyway!

Upvote 0

s_gunter

Contributor
Supporter
Sep 29, 2003
Visit site
✟59,965.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Only if I drink a coffee or tea after 3pm Bill.

If I stay off caffeine and tea after 2 or 3pm and exercise daily (my Elderly Mother is the same) then sleep like a baby after praying The Holy Rosary to Jesus and Mother Mary.

I'm the same way with caffeine. I allow myself the indulgence of coffee in the morning, and maybe some sweet tea with the evening meal (if the evening meal isn't too late in the day). Otherwise, I drink water, or else I'm either wide awake all night, or if I do manage to sleep, I have very vivid dreams that are very weird and unsettling. I don't classify them as nightmares since they aren't gruesome or too terribly violent. It's just enough to make me very uncomfortable.

Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,586,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Being a night owl is one thing, but this late-night stuff is for the birds :(

Anyone else have problems w/this sometimes?
I do. I can be exhausted and my mind just keeps going. Then there is the classic 15 minutes of dozing off and then you are wide awake. Not fun at all.

Upvote 0

bill5

Jul 30, 2011
✟63,199.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I do. I can be exhausted and my mind just keeps going. Then there is the classic 15 minutes of dozing off and then you are wide awake. Not fun at all.
Been there a time or hundred. :( Hope it's rare for you.

Caffeine really hits me too, so I only have a cup or 2 and can't have it after about 11 AM. I should say (knock on wood) this isn't nearly as bad as it used to be. Still hate it though. My dog isn't crazy about it either. :)

uhhhhh.........

Yeah, that's the ticket

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟798,634.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Sorry to hear you're still having problems. For a while there, my bedtime was 6 am. But, I started praying the Rosary at night and that helped. I've scaled it down to 3 am. At least I'm headed in the right direction.

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The thing with insomnia is that I don't believe that there are any quick fixes or anything that works universally.

Most of the advice for how to get to sleep comes from people who define having trouble getting to sleep as not getting to sleep in twenty minutes or so. They haven't had nights where they've lied in bed for four or more hours straight with no sleep, and they don't realize that much of their advice is either useless or impractical for people who actually have insomnia. (In particular I loathe the piece of advice that you should get up and read a book or something if you aren't asleep in ten minutes or so; if I did that I would get far less sleep than I do now since I almost never get to sleep in less than a half hour, even when I am extremely tired).

You might like this from Home Movies if you've encountered a lot advice from people without insomnia:

Of course, this means that I don't really want to give you direct advice since I don't think that most of what works for me would work for you. The only thing I will say is that you might want to check to see if you have any medical issues which might be bothering you more than you realize. I have had frequent heartburn and I now realize that that was a big factor in the worst nights of sleeplessness (though it wasn't the sole cause of my sleeplessness) but I never really thought about it until it got unbearably bad because I was focusing more on the fact that I couldn't sleep than how I felt when I couldn't sleep. When I asked doctors about insomnia they usually didn't ask about other health concerns but instead just suggested I use either of the counter sleep aids (which don't work for me) or prescription sleep aids (which give me bad side effects and are too expensive). Since they didn't think it was related to some other issue, I didn't look into it either. Treating the heartburn has made the insomnia somewhat less severe. Of course, sometimes it really is just that your body has trouble falling asleep so that advice may or may not help.

Upvote 0

bill5

Jul 30, 2011
✟63,199.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Sorry to hear you're still having problems. For a while there, my bedtime was 6 am.
Wow - I hope you work a swing shift. I was that bad once but I was also unemployed, so little incentive to care. I hope I don't go back to that ever. g/l, glad you're getting better on it.

I don't really want to give you direct advice
Thanks, as I didn't ask for any ;) I don't mind advice actually, but it's usually not severe and I think I usually know what causes it to some degree or other.

Drugs are the last thing I would do and no offense but bad advice. They should be a last resort, not a first.

Upvote 0