California
✟17,406.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So, I understand the concept of original sin, however I don't really understand the idea that if an infant dies without being baptized they will go to hell. Why would a just God send a baby to hell? That seems a bit overboard. I would think they would have to reach an age of reason and actually reject God to go to hell. Maybe I'm wrong but that's what I've always been taught.

Reactions: Soyeong

tz620q

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2007
Carmel, IN
✟574,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So, I understand the concept of original sin, however I don't really understand the idea that if an infant dies without being baptized they will go to hell. Why would a just God send a baby to hell? That seems a bit overboard. I would think they would have to reach an age of reason and actually reject God to go to hell. Maybe I'm wrong but that's what I've always been taught.

Here is a paragraph from the Catechism that deals with this:

1261 As regards children who have died without Baptism, the Church can only entrust them to the mercy of God, as she does in her funeral rites for them. Indeed, the great mercy of God who desires that all men should be saved, and Jesus' tenderness toward children which caused him to say: "Let the children come to me, do not hinder them," allow us to hope that there is a way of salvation for children who have died without Baptism. All the more urgent is the Church's call not to prevent little children coming to Christ through the gift of holy Baptism.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
It would have been foreign to the early believers to baptize babies, for people to put off becoming baptized until later, or becoming baptized only once. Immersion was a regular practice of Jews, which John the Baptist did not start, but new meaning was given to it with the baptism of the Holy Spirit. The Temple had many mikvahs, which is why they were able to baptize 3000 people in one day in Acts 2:41.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
there has never been the teaching that unbaptized children go to the hell of the damned

it is possible that they go to a place of natural happiness
this speculative place is called Limbo of the Infants, it is a theory, not a firm teaching of the Church

in the Bible, the Old Testament has all of the dead going to Sheol or just the grave
and Jesus speaks of "Abrahams Bosom" in the parable of the Rich Man and Lazarus
this is taken to be the Limbo of the Patriarchs or Sheol, just a place where the righteous dead waited for Jesus to free them from
the theory is that Limbo is pretty much the same (if not the exact same place) as the Bosom of Abraham

it is worth noting, that Jesus spoke of this as a parable, not a firm teaching, so to some people it might seem like a stretch
but reading it in context with the OT description of the after-life, it comes together much more

Pope Benedict XVI disliked the idea of Limbo for unbaptized children, and was a vocal supporter of leaving it to trust in the mercy and goodness of the Lord and His great saving power
but as far as I know, even though Limbo is an unpopular theory, it is still an acceptable world view for a Catholic

Upvote 0

Reader Antonius

Lector et Didascalus
Nov 26, 2007
Patriarchate of Old Rome
Visit site
✟32,048.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Pope Benedict XVI disliked the idea of Limbo for unbaptized children, and was a vocal supporter of leaving it to trust in the mercy and goodness of the Lord and His great saving power
but as far as I know, even though Limbo is an unpopular theory, it is still an acceptable world view for a Catholic

One of the beautiful things about our Holy Catholic Church is that she is able to hold under the umbrella of Orthodoxy a variety of theological opinions, speculations, and theories. She has always done this, from in the earliest centuries of Christianity to the modern day through a magnificent diversity of autonomous local Churches, each having ancient modes of understanding the One Faith. All tolerated theological constructions that have been or continue to be used in the Catholic Church however must align with defined dogma, which, we believe, as once and for all given to the Church by the Blessed Apostles and is formulated in new (but essentially the same) ways over the millennia by the Magisterium.

Limbo is one of these tolerated beliefs. It does not appear to have had a strong pedigree in terms of the Early Church, but that doesn't make it any less useful since the word "Trinity" is scarcely mentioned in the early Ante-Nicene period. It seems that in ancient times, Christians generally assumed Heaven for unbaptized children born in the confines of the Church, as it were. The Eastern Churches reflect this since they have, generally always, given full Christian burials to unbaptized children born to Christian parents.

Yet, to make this (good) assumption a general theological principle is problematic because of the dogmatic reality of Original Sin. We know this from the Bible (Romans 5:12-20). All humans (with the Divinely miraculous exception of the Blessed Virgin Mary and the Incarnation of the Son of God) are conceived in a state of spiritual death, hence the need for the baptism of infants as soon as possible. We also know however that nothing unclean (sinful) can enter Heaven (Revelation 21:27). The Blessed Apostles simply did not tell us how to "resolve" this issue (perhaps it is none of our business?), and so the Church has developed ways of speculating about the destiny of unbaptized babies who die.

St. Augustine and others believed that they cannot experience the Beatific Vision, but also that God would not consign them to eternal punishment. Therefore, they posited the idea that there is a state, or place, or both where the souls of unbaptized infants go to experience the absolute fullness of natural happiness possible without seeing God. "Limbo" as it were.

Other theologians, particularly in the East, did not agree so quickly to this as Western theologians did (though they did not say it was not possible). In recent years, most theologians have abandoned the theory of St. Augustine (which may actually be factual, we just have no way of knowing) in favor of a more "agnostic" position; that is, we don't know what happens to unbaptized infants who die before becoming Christians – no more than we know what happens to unbelievers who never had the opportunity to hear the Gospel. We say however with St. Abraham our father: "Far be it from thee to do such a thing, to slay the righteous with the wicked, so that the righteous fare as the wicked! Far be that from thee! Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?" (Genesis 18:25). We trust that God, who is truly just and good, will deal gently and lovingly with all babies who, through no fault of their own, do not get to receive baptism before they die.

This newer (and, I think, better) understanding has been so overwhelming adopted by the Catholic Church that, to my knowledge, all the liturgical rites of the Church (including the Western Roman Rite) allow performance of Christian burials to unbaptized infants of Christian parents.

There are other theological dogmas under-girding this understanding (i.e. "baptism of desire" and the external application of faith to those who cannot believe), and so the International Theological Commission at the Vatican gave this document as what we might call the normative (but not exclusive) understanding at current.

Hope that helps! :D :crossrc:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Reader Antonius

Lector et Didascalus
Nov 26, 2007
Patriarchate of Old Rome
Visit site
✟32,048.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
It would have been foreign to the early believers to baptize babies, for people to put off becoming baptized until later, or becoming baptized only once. Immersion was a regular practice of Jews, which John the Baptist did not start, but new meaning was given to it with the baptism of the Holy Spirit. The Temple had many mikvahs, which is why they were able to baptize 3000 people in one day in Acts 2:41.

There are some inaccuracies in this statement; please allow me to provide some feedback. *bows*

We have clear evidence from some of the earliest days of the Church that believers were baptizing infants. It certainly would also not have been foreign even for Jewish converts, since ha-Sheliach ha-Qadosh Sha'ul makes the clear connection between ha-brith and ha-mikwaloth in early Christian usage (Colossians 2:11-12) and as you say above regarding the revelation of Ha-Ruach Ha-Qadosh.

As for the idea that Ha-Beth Ha-Mikdash had enough mikwaloth to baptize the 3,000 at Shavu'ot, I am not so sure that the Sanhedrin would have allowed Ha-Sheliach ha-Qadosh Kepha to baptize them there. More likely it was done by pouring using local sources of water; however, your proposition is an interesting theory and one worth more research.

As a former Messianic, I appreciate your thoughts and hope mine were helpful. Shalom aleichem.

Last edited:
Upvote 0