Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
So true, but in general, I've been seeing more and more calvinist baptists coming out. In most cases the calvinist baptist I speak to were calvinist the whole time, it wasn't until someone labeled them calvinist that they knew what they were.

I use to hate being called a calvinist, I don't care anymore what people say.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟746,824.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
BT said:
In general I'm seeing less Ind. Baptists who are calvinists or calvinistic in their beliefs. The more they learn and the more good solid preachers get out into the field, the less I see.
BT, I take that comment as an insult. You’re basically saying that I as well as other calvinists are unlearned and haven’t had solid instruction. You mentioned you weren't anti-calvinist/doctrines of Grace, but it seems you're drawn to every post that mentions calvinism and then you attack it.

I recently read an article on the net about how the number of calvinist Baptists has increased over the last 10 years…the article was written by an Arminian and it was ‘how to deal with calvinist students.’ I’m looking for the link right now.

SP :sigh:

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good Day, All

I guess it all depends on who you talk to, I for one attend a Independant Baptist church where the pastor is not a Calvinist "YET", but while talking with most members they tend to be Calvinist in their belief. I have heard of whole independant Baptists Churches being Calvinistic, after years of "misunderstanding" what Calvinism was and I was among those IMHO.

For His Glory Alone! :clap:

Bill

Upvote 0

BT

Fanatic
Jan 29, 2003
Canada
Visit site
✟3,880.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Street Preacher said:
BT, I take that comment as an insult. You’re basically saying that I as well as other calvinists are unlearned and haven’t had solid instruction. You mentioned you weren't anti-calvinist/doctrines of Grace, but it seems you're drawn to every post that mentions calvinism and then you attack it.

I recently read an article on the net about how the number of calvinist Baptists has increased over the last 10 years…the article was written by an Arminian and it was ‘how to deal with calvinist students.’ I’m looking for the link right now.

SP :sigh:
Sorry SP I didn't mean it as an insult. I didn't mean that you and other calvinists are unlearned and haven't had solid instruction. The number of Independent Baptist churches which see calvinist teachings decrease is because of the education that they are receiving in Baptist Seminaries. A large number of the calvinistic preachers who come out of seminary go into reformed Baptist churches or the like. That's all I meant.

I am not anti-calvinist/grace in that I don't think you're going to go to hell or anything ridiculous like that. I do not believe the doctrine is true though. I would not attend a reformed Baptist church whose focus was on this.

I think you are getting too upset over this issue. Are you not drawn into every post that speaks of calvinism? Does that make you a hyper-calvinist? I am hardly attacking calvinism...

Has the number of Baptists calvinists increased? I wouldn't be surprised. Has the number of Independent Baptist calvinists increased? I would be surprised.

You don't need to send the link for me. I'm not Arminian, feel free of course to send it for others to look at.

Let's not fight over this ok? It's not worth it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Harry the Heretic

guitly of zealotry
Jun 8, 2004
Harvard Il.
✟445.00
Faith
Christian
Thanks everyone, in your opinions has the independent movement remained strong in the past twenty years or has it wained. I'm curious about IB because my wife is fed up with the church in our area. You would call me a dreaded Campbellite. In my area the congregations are weak in regards to Titus 2:3-4. We homeschool, and have a quiverfull mindset, my wife does not work (well at least for money) but we seem to be alone in these views, as well as others, and she is discouraged.
From what I have read, independant Bapstists could be an alternative, for us.

Upvote 0

TwinCrier

Double Blessed and spreading the gospel
Oct 11, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟24,768.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Harry the Heretic said:
Hello everyone,

A couple of quick questions.

Are all or most independant Baptist strict Calvinist, in regards to predestination?

And do independant Baptist recognize or fellowship with Ana Baptists, ie. Mennonites, Quakers etc.

Thanks in advance.
In answer to your first question, I am an IB and Predestination is the one part of Calvinism I totally disagree with and the one most often preached against when the subject comes up.
Second, while I certainly recognize those denominations and fellowship on a personal level with them but I strongly disagree with their pacifistic views. And before it comes up, yes, I know I am speaking for myself. :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Harry the Heretic said:
Thanks everyone, in your opinions has the independent movement remained strong in the past twenty years or has it wained. I'm curious about IB because my wife is fed up with the church in our area. You would call me a dreaded Campbellite. In my area the congregations are weak in regards to Titus 2:3-4. We homeschool, and have a quiverfull mindset, my wife does not work (well at least for money) but we seem to be alone in these views, as well as others, and she is discouraged.
From what I have read, independant Bapstists could be an alternative, for us.
I can speak from several of the areas you address. I belong to a Independent Baptist church and just graduated from Homeschooling. Most Independent Baptist are very open to homeschooling, and quiverfull families. Depending on the area you are from depends on reactions you will get. I live in a large Homeschooled populated area. You'll find Homeschooled families from all faiths.
Go visit one or several churches in your area and have a talk with the pastors there.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.