in the instance you were put in the position to which Bill Gates currently occupies?

zuchipeviewk

Jan 9, 2015
✟142.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
and a stranger gave you a king james bible as a random act of kindness?? how would you incorporate such an exchange into your personal/professional outlook??? assuming you're in the shoes of microsoft founder/business mogul Bill Gates and no external conditions/outlying variables are at hand...????

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,064.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I usually tell the gentleman who attempts to give or sell me religious writings that I am illiterate. It works a charm.

I read them so I could get better ideas about taking care of kids. Some have good ideas. If they don't have anything about children and to better yourself I toss them in the trash.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,064.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
and a stranger gave you a king james bible as a random act of kindness?? how would you incorporate such an exchange into your personal/professional outlook??? assuming you're in the shoes of microsoft founder/business mogul Bill Gates and no external conditions/outlying variables are at hand...????

If someone gave me a King James bible. I might give it to some one else, since I have a Bible. I'm more likely to get Mormon or Jehovah witness stuff, then a Christian stuff.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟730,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I'm still unsure about the point of the question.

1) I assume by "Bill Gates' position" is meant if I had the same wealth, power, social status (etc) as Bill Gates.

2) I don't know to which relevance it is that I'd be handed a King James Bible. Is the translation arbitrary and I'm just to focus on being given a Bible?

3) Is Bible-giving and generosity necessarily linked? Is there something specifically generous about Bible-giving in this scenario?

In addition, I don't understand how these are intended to come together.

Am I to perceive the person's generosity in principle and then contemplate my own behavior in response? Namely, I see someone generous toward me, and given my theoretical status as a Bill Gates-esque person maybe I should likewise be generous. Well, sure, but then I believe I should be generous anyway, regardless of how little or how much I have. Generosity is good in and of itself.

Is there something in particular about that I was given a Bible (or, again, specifically a King James Version of the Bible) that I should reflect upon? I usually operate on the assumption that the average person living in the Western world either owns or has owned, or at least has browsed a Bible before. The Bible is ubiquitous in the Western world. In this scenario am I still me? That is since I am in actuality a Christian does that remain true in this scenario; and likewise for those who aren't Christians but something else, does that remain true for them? And does that matter here?

I am almost certainly over-thinking things. But the scenario presented seems bizarre to me, and I don't know where it's coming from or where it's going. Some direction would be helpful.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟160,762.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

I would hand him a copy of the ESV, and explain to him that some words have changed in use over the years. KJV can be pretty, but it can also be:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8SLT5fmreU

Upvote 0

Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
The question seems flawed to me. It seems like the premise depends on you, as Bill Gates, never having heard of Christianity so "hearing about it" would change your life. Instead, Bill Gates is apparently Roman Catholic and does, at least occasionally, takes his family to Mass -- therefore I don't understand what difference it would make, to his personal/professional outlook, since he already knows and uses the Bible.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums