✟90,072.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
And Serbian Orthodoxy no less!

I often see a lot of frustration and criticism posted by Orthodox on the Internet. I don't get to post very often, but thought I would share a more positive experience.

I had the pleasure of meeting a couple of weeks ago a priest who helped to re-establish the brotherhood at the Decani Monastery in a mostly Muslim area of Kosovo. He is a former actor from Belgrade who, after having visited a monastery years ago, realised that he needed to change his life and decided to seek monastic tonsure and then ordination to the priesthood. He and his brothers spoke out against the violence and politics of both sides during the conflict in the 90s.

I was blessed to be able to spend several days with this monk. I have rarely been around someone so imbued with Scripture; listening to him was like hearing a paraphrased version of the Bible. "You know", he would say, "where there are a couple or three people congregating in the name of Jesus, there He is". Speaking to this Serbian Orthodox monk completely recharged my spiritual batteries.

He spoke of conversions in Serbia and the problem of phyletism. He noted that true conversion occurs when we begin to love Christ and our Christian brothers more than our Serbian (or other) nationality.

He invited me to come visit Kosovo, which I am sure I will do (God willing). I reflected after meeting him on how privileged I feel to have met Godly Orthodox monks, priests and bishops. I have communed in Antiochian, Serbian and Russian parishes (and I shall be at a ROCOR parish this weekend). I have been blessed by them in innumerable ways. I cannot imagine now being without their grace, kindness and wisdom.

Perhaps some of you have visited Decani already. I would love to hear about the experience.

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,592.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
That's really excellent. I'm so happy to hear that Serbian Orthodoxy is continuing and being upheld in Kosovo. I have not heard very much about its current status, but from what I understand it's a tough place to be Orthodox these days. Lord have mercy.

Here is a documentary on the monastery (in Serbian only, but you can still enjoy the amazing visuals and wonderful chant in some segments): https://vimeo.com/66283527

Hopefully the version with English-synchronized audio will be available soon, as mentioned in the blurb on the page.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Wonderful to hear about! I would love to have an opportunity to meet and talk with someone like that someday. Please do let us know if you get the opportunity to visit Kosovo!

Upvote 0

Joseph Hazen

The Religious Loudmouth
May 2, 2011
The Silent Planet
✟17,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
God bless the holy men and women who we meet. Sometimes those who have that spiritual closeness to God which they shed around them are like drinks of water that we didn't realize we need until we're given some. It's an example and an assistance up the ladder. The Fr. Arseny books do that for me sometimes, and to anyone who hasn't read them I heartily recommend them.

Upvote 0

fat wee robin

Jan 12, 2015
✟47,420.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
And Serbian Orthodoxy no less!

I often see a lot of frustration and criticism posted by Orthodox on the Internet. I don't get to post very often, but thought I would share a more positive experience.

I had the pleasure of meeting a couple of weeks ago a priest who helped to re-establish the brotherhood at the Decani Monastery in a mostly Muslim area of Kosovo. He is a former actor from Belgrade who, after having visited a monastery years ago, realised that he needed to change his life and decided to seek monastic tonsure and then ordination to the priesthood. He and his brothers spoke out against the violence and politics of both sides during the conflict in the 90s.

I was blessed to be able to spend several days with this monk. I have rarely been around someone so imbued with Scripture; listening to him was like hearing a paraphrased version of the Bible. "You know", he would say, "where there are a couple or three people congregating in the name of Jesus, there He is". Speaking to this Serbian Orthodox monk completely recharged my spiritual batteries.

He spoke of conversions in Serbia and the problem of phyletism. He noted that true conversion occurs when we begin to love Christ and our Christian brothers more than our Serbian (or other) nationality.

He invited me to come visit Kosovo, which I am sure I will do (God willing). I reflected after meeting him on how privileged I feel to have met Godly Orthodox monks, priests and bishops. I have communed in Antiochian, Serbian and Russian parishes (and I shall be at a ROCOR parish this weekend). I have been blessed by them in innumerable ways. I cannot imagine now being without their grace, kindness and wisdom.

Perhaps some of you have visited Decani already. I would love to hear about the experience.

I agree that when two or theree are gathered together in His name ,in love of Him ,one can often 'feel ' His presence.:bow:

Upvote 0