I'm starving.

clep

May 1, 2010
✟7,852.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I go to church every week and I love it. I pray daily, multiple times a day. I find I only listen to faith based music now. I feel like I don't know where to gain any other knowledge about my relationship with God. I saw a post on here once with daily readings and don't remember where I saw it. If anyone knows please direct me to that place.

What else can I do to learn and grow more in my faith. I feel like I am starving. I have so many questions before I can think of one another one arises. Is there a good place to go as a consistent resource for my never ending questions?

I find the bible confuses me. I don't feel like I understand it well, and interpreting it. Is there some study guide or something that will aid me in going through all of this?

heymikey80

Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur
Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, can I suggest one book of Scripture -- for some questions, it'll cause more questions. But the big questions, it'll answer.

Romans.

Ancient writing was organized, it just wasn't organized the way we think of it (paragraphs and such). So it'll be a little confusing at first, but really, you can catch it for sure. Just remember: chapters aren't always subject changes. Paragraphs don't always mean the subject's shifting. They're guesses.

Look for the "because"s, the "so"s, the "therefore"s for the real connections in thought.

If you're having trouble with the 'religious' words not having a very deep meaning -- I had that problem, too. Some pointers:

"righteousness" / "justification" and their related words are all the same word in Greek. "justify" does not mean you're made into something perfectly good; it actually means to evaluate someone and find he's righteous, like it's a verdict in a court of law. Someone who's perfect is obviously righteous. But someone can be "justified" and thus be righteous, simply by a verdict in a court of law. Or a court of Caesar, who would grant justification for the offenses of quickly submissive subjects in newly conquered lands.

"faith"/"believe" are all the same word in Greek. The word generally means something more like "rely" or "trust" or "depend" in common American English.

"work"/"works" are a tough call, but they really do mean "actions", "what we do". A hint: Paul isn't saying "Don't do good things." He's saying, "Don't think they cause your salvation, they're a result, not a cause." (Ep 2:8-10)

Upvote 0

Peripatetic

Restless mind, peaceful soul.
Feb 28, 2010
✟22,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Daily devotions are a great way to feed the hunger. This is a good place to start:

Daily Devotionals and Bible Devotions, Free Online, Christian Study

I also find Christian podcasts to be a great supplement (especially when driving to and from work). Another great resource is:

SermonAudio.com

Here, you can look up certain subjects or chapters of the Bible that interest you, and you listen to sermons that dig deeper into it.

Upvote 0

Hotpepper

Charis Dia Pistis
Jun 14, 2010
Oregon
✟8,314.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I also find Christian podcasts to be a great supplement (especially when driving to and from work). Another great resource is:

SermonAudio.com

Here, you can look up certain subjects or chapters of the Bible that interest you, and you listen to sermons that dig deeper into it.

Nice link Vertigo :clap:

I sure do enjoy hearing as many perspectives as possible. Thanks for sharing! I have one similar here:

http://godscharacter.com/index.php?topic=Genesis

Clep, I would not be afraid to gather as many perspectives as you possibly can and decide for yourself (using the Word of God as your standard of measure) and not lean on any certain theology/denomination as infallible. Only the Word of God is infallible. As you increase in your understanding (through the Holy Spirit) you may even change your mind about several things along the way. I'm not talking about the gospel of Christ or salvation but rather the things that do not pertain to these, such as when to worship, ordinances, whether or not to watch rated R movies etc... none of which nessesarily jeopardizes salvation or diminishes the deity of Christ Jesus. Keep an open mind and PROVE EVERYTHING with PLENTY of SCRIPTURE before committing any thought or idea to belief. Never take anyone's word for anything but demand to see it for yourself in the bible clearly. If it isn't crystal clear, leave it open for other perspectives and just say that you don't know but it could be this, this or this... I pray that the Lord gives you all the nourishment that you need and all the patience needed to find it. :prayer:

Upvote 0

SavedbyGod12

Apr 12, 2010
✟188.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
I go to church every week and I love it. I pray daily, multiple times a day. I find I only listen to faith based music now. I feel like I don't know where to gain any other knowledge about my relationship with God. I saw a post on here once with daily readings and don't remember where I saw it. If anyone knows please direct me to that place.

What else can I do to learn and grow more in my faith. I feel like I am starving. I have so many questions before I can think of one another one arises. Is there a good place to go as a consistent resource for my never ending questions?

I find the bible confuses me. I don't feel like I understand it well, and interpreting it. Is there some study guide or something that will aid me in going through all of this?

The Spirit of Truth works for me.

Upvote 0

DoctorJosh

Jun 7, 2010
United States of America
✟564.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

The most important thing for Hungry or New Christians is to stick with Matthew, Mark, Luke, John and Revelations because the rest of Paul's letters that were added only confuses people. If it something in the Old Testament, it important to remember it is a diary of events, trials and tribulations, and how they rose with God and how others fell away from God. What is really fun to do is look up some Lexicon websites and see the difference between our translated Bible today and what the wording can really mean. There is both the Hebrew Lexicon for the Old Testament and Greek Lexicon for the New Testament. Some websites have the original documents with the most precise translation. When you go through each chapter and verse, you actually have fun learning more about the Bible, the Word, and the Lord Jesus or God the Father. For those who are hungry as well to just research the History of the Bible and understand who put the books together at what times and why certain books were entered and those others were not. What I found an awesome study was finding out what books were in the first Bible ever made and how the first Christian Church was built. I also got hungry to know who saw and documented Jesus being Crucified (politicians or others) and this was also a great study. (I had to know this anyway for my past courses.) Still even today, I keep digging, reading and searching for more great awesome historical documents that also help me with others bring more light to the Bible and offer solid proof when needed. Also, just keep talking with the Lord Jesus through Prayer, share your life with Jesus and live your life for the Lord Jesus and drink from the water of life from the Lord Jesus till you are full. God Bless. Bible Lexicon

Upvote 0

laconicstudent

Sep 25, 2009
✟16,224.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

Wells Marsh

Apr 21, 2010
Georgia
✟8,342.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Dear Clep,

The Word of God (The Bible), with the Holy Spirit as your teacher, is the only infallible source of instruction. Ingesting the Word of God will bring you from a diet of milk to a diet of meat.

I would suggest you obtain several versions of the Bible. Or, you could study your Bible with Biblegateway.com open on your computer.

Ask the Holy Spirit to reveal the scriptures to you. Study the verses and do not be concerned with how many you do. Often times other translations add clarity. Try to determine who is speaking and who is being spoken to.

As a new believer, I would focus on the New Testament (New Covenant). The Old Testament (Old Covenant) should be read later and in light of the New Testament. This is how you lay a foundation for your spiritual growth.

Obtaining answers to your questions is another tool to gain understanding of The Word. Use a good concordance and learn to navigate your Bible. Try to find three good scripture passages to support each answer to a question. Biblegateway.com helps in this effort also.

Meanwhile, keep your focus on Jesus and His finished work at the cross. His glory will flow into you and transform you.

Romans 5:17 For if by the one man’s (Adam’s) offense death reigned through the one, much more those who receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness will reign in life through the One, Jesus Christ.)
2 Corinthians 3:18 But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord.

Blessings,
WM

Upvote 0

sbbqb7n16

Veteran - Blue Bible Dude
Jan 13, 2002
Texas
Visit site
✟25,010.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Are you a new Christian? Sometimes with new endeavors we rush forward and give all that we are - I must caution not to burn yourself out, though, and to keep it a healthy degree so that you actually thrive more.

On the bible study - the best advice I can give you is a free online bible software like e-sword or my favorite, Bible Explorer 4. They include free commentaries with the free bibles there. Some have daily studying plans and other free books. This may help you in the right direction. Please PM me if you have further questions on any of the programs.

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

There are 1000's of ministries with guidebooks for any topic.
Someone mentioned Charles Stanley....a great source for insights.
Chuck Swindoll....my all time favorite.
James Kennedy
And many more.

Upvote 0

alan650

Oct 19, 2006
✟25,263.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you everyone!!!!!! I now have a wealth of information and all I need to no longer starve.

You mentioned earlier that the Bible confuses you. What version are you reading? The New International Version has everything in plain English for you to read.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums