✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
oh+really+baby-001.jpg

Yeah really. What caught my eye was the title. Since I'm interested in the Dark Night I took a quick look but the thread didn't seem to be about what I know as the the Dark Night, I quickly lost interest.

I first started reading The Dark Night shortly after I was confirmed Catholic. It's frightening and difficult to understand but St. John of the Cross talks about the journey of the soul and the sensual and spiritual dark nights that one may experience.

It was interesting because the sensual dark night talks concerns loosing any recompense from our spiritual devotions or that even food becomes tasteless. In other words the sumptuousness I experience with the faith was all going to go away some day. The morning after I read that, I was truly concerned. I didn't want it all to go away. I was serving weekday mass that morning, and as I entered the sanctuary the whole church appeared to be lit up in technicolor. It was then that I had the idea that I might skip this 'dark night'.

I feel the same way about having a crisis of faith. For one, I had such a strong conversion experience that all I have to do is remember those early days of grace to realize that, no, this Catholicism thing isn't all made up. The other thing is once I committed to Catholicism, there has been no lack of people who have tried to plant seeds of doubt. If I've prevailed this long, then there must be something to this Catholic faith.

And so, I'm not having a crisis of faith.

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Yeah really. What caught my eye was the title. Since I'm interested in the Dark Night I took a quick look but the thread didn't seem to be about what I know as the the Dark Night, I quickly lost interest.

I first started reading The Dark Night shortly after I was confirmed Catholic. It's frightening and difficult to understand but St. John of the Cross talks about the journey of the soul and the sensual and spiritual dark nights that one may experience.

It was interesting because the sensual dark night talks concerns loosing any recompense from our spiritual devotions or that even food becomes tasteless. In other words the sumptuousness I experience with the faith was all going to go away some day. The morning after I read that, I was truly concerned. I didn't want it all to go away. I was serving weekday mass that morning, and as I entered the sanctuary the whole church appeared to be lit up in technicolor. It was then that I had the idea that I might skip this 'dark night'.

I feel the same way about having a crisis of faith. For one, I had such a strong conversion experience that all I have to do is remember those early days of grace to realize that, no, this Catholicism thing isn't all made up. The other thing is once I committed to Catholicism, there has been no lack of people who have tried to plant seeds of doubt. If I've prevailed this long, then there must be something to this Catholic faith.

And so, I'm not having a crisis of faith.

Thank you for your thoughtful and generous response.

The title of the thread that you are referencing is perhaps misunderstood, in that i was not referencing St John of the Cross's writings. it's regarding a darkness of the soul, and the darkness of a night time when Light is absent, and most notably the grace of God is absent.

A description of the inside of a tomb may be an apt comparison, if one were to be in one, enclosed in a coffin, with no escape, but just the deepest of darknesses thick and smothering and oppressive.

There may be other ways to describe it, however these descriptions come to mind.

Dark.
Night.
Soul.

I don't know what might cause one to sweat great drops of blood, however Jesus Christ did. It is written that Jesus suffered all that we have, do, and will suffer. Further, because He was on a journey to die for us, in our place, that it was suffering in the nth degree, beyond what any of us could've endured. And as He hung on the cross and cried out, asking God why He had forsaken Him, that He was experiencing His own dark night of the soul.

Thank you kindly.

Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for your thoughtful and generous response.

The title of the thread that you are referencing is perhaps misunderstood, in that i was not referencing St John of the Cross's writings. it's regarding a darkness of the soul, and the darkness of a night time when Light is absent, and most notably the grace of God is absent.

A description of the inside of a tomb may be an apt comparison, if one were to be in one, enclosed in a coffin, with no escape, but just the deepest of darknesses thick and smothering and oppressive.

There may be other ways to describe it, however these descriptions come to mind.

Dark.
Night.
Soul.

I don't know what might cause one to sweat great drops of blood, however Jesus Christ did. It is written that Jesus suffered all that we have, do, and will suffer. Further, because He was on a journey to die for us, in our place, that it was suffering in the nth degree, beyond what any of us could've endured. And as He hung on the cross and cried out, asking God why He had forsaken Him, that He was experiencing His own dark night of the soul.

Thank you kindly.

There does seem to be some misunderstanding. The third line in the first stanza of the Dark Night even says "ah, the sheer grace!", The dark night is not a time when grace is absent. So, your thread is about something else besides the Dark Night which we know as Catholics. Maybe it's about trials, or spiritual dryness, I don't know. All I know is the only time I felt like I was struggling with my faith was when I wasn't being faithful to the Church. All I had to do is go to mass once, and it was all over. But I'm thinking, if it weren't for the mass, the sacraments, holy tradition or the communion of Saints I'd probably be struggling with my faith as well. I feel for those guys. It must be tough.

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There does seem to be some misunderstanding. The third line in the first stanza of the Dark Night even says "ah, the sheer grace!", The dark night is not a time when grace is absent. So, your thread is about something else besides the Dark Night which we know as Catholics. Maybe it's about trials, or spiritual dryness, I don't know. All I know is the only time I felt like I was struggling with my faith was when I wasn't being faithful to the Church. All I had to do is go to mass once, and it was all over. But I'm thinking, if it weren't for the mass, the sacraments, holy tradition or the communion of Saints I'd probably be struggling with my faith as well. I feel for those guys. It must be tough.

Perhaps its not a matter of struggling in faith but rather struggling with how others define faith for you. People tend to be less than gracious which isn't edifying. People sometimes edify themselves at the expense of others. Gods grace however empowers us as we grow in it, and we learn to find the lords strength in all situations, growing up in Christ who is the author and finisher of that faith. The end result is glorious and liberating, as we boldly say, the Lord is my helper, what can man do to me? Sweet liberty. Let he who boasts boast in the Lord, amen.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

Thank you for sharing your perspective. The thread is not about St John of the Cross. It is more akin to what Godly men throughout biblical history endured (Job, Jabez, David, Elijah, etc.) Jesus Christ Himself experienced a dark night of the soul, so to speak.

In the thread there are portions where there is much encouragement and support. It is written that we (God's children) endure suffering and pain so that we can minister to, encourage, and be the lifter of each others heads, just as our heavenly Father is to each of us:

"But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head." ~Psalm 3:3

It is unfortunate that there has been a misunderstanding on the purpose of the thread. It is in the "Deeper Fellowship" Forum; a place that is for this exact purpose.

I hope that this provides some clarity.

Thank you kindly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,402.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
My crises of faith are never caused by God. They are almost always caused by other people, often the ungodly "Godlier than thou's." It makes me think of one of my favorite praise and worship songs, "The Heart of Worship." Thanks to TLT, I have a place where I can take refuge :)

Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
My crises of faith are never caused by God. They are almost always caused by other people, often the ungodly "Godlier than thou's." It makes me think of one of my favorite praise and worship songs, "The Heart of Worship." Thanks to TLT, I have a place where I can take refuge :)

I really have never had a crisis of faith. I guess since I converted at the height of the priest sexual abuse scandal if a bunch of pedophile priests haven't scared me off, nobody will. My life on the ground is very good. I'm a happy and healthy practicing Catholic. The internet, for me, just extends the parish experience. I'm grateful to TLT too. It most closely reflects my real life experience than any other forum I've been on.

Beautiful song. Thanks for sharing.

Upvote 0