• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

I'm in the diagnostic stages, but here's my story, to be told in intervals. Is it AS?

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
My medical doctor suspects AS, but I have to see the psychiatrist for a proper diagnosis.

Later I will cover my social and work life.

Home/Personal Life:

I'll start with textures and sounds. Certain textures and sounds are very distressing for me. For example, I can't walk across a carpet barefoot. The feeling of the carpet is unbearable. If, for some reason, I do walk across a carpet barefoot, I'm forced to either get my feet wet to take away the nasty feeling or stand on a smooth surface, or both. Other examples include the inability to touch certain fabrics, such as clothing, which limits what I can wear. Hoodie strings and the feeling and sound they make when being adjusted are horrifying. Construction paper, wooden pencils, rough wooden surfaces, cardboard boxes, yarn, paper towels, certain furniture, and many other everyday things make my list of untouchables. If I touch something like this, I have to lick or lightly spit on the area that was affected so as to wash the feeling away, or again, touch a smooth surface. As for noises, loud noises are unsettling. They cause me to lash out and retreat to privacy. As a child the worst noise was vacuum cleaners; as an adult, screaming and yelling people, as well as lawn mowers are the worst noises. Certain textures that I dislike also come with noises that I cannot handle, and the combination of feel and sound is temporarily crippling. For example, wooden pencils. I hate the feel of wooden pencils, but also the sound they make when being used on paper. It causes my mouth to twist up and my body to shiver.

I'm married with three children. Despite this fact, I spend most of my time alone. I don't like being near people; no, not even my own family a lot of the time. I love them with all my heart and soul, but it's just simply impossible for me to be around people for too long. I prefer my privacy. I find people annoying and difficult to understand. If my wife tries to show too much affection, especially at the wrong time, I get flustered and upset and irritated; I feel like my space is being violated. If my children act like children and ask too many questions or pester me too much, I get upset and tell them to leave me alone. I then retreat upstairs to be by myself. My wife gets upset with me when I can't force myself to leave the house and go places. The world just isn't for me; I like my world, alone. I often think of divorce so I can just be alone. If my wife doesn't tell me at least one day in advance about plans to go somewhere, it's so upsetting. I didn't have any time to mentally prepare.

I make hardly any facial expressions and I'm usually monotone; that is, of course, until I get angry. I have sudden fits of unexplainable anger. Eye contact is difficult for me. If I can make it, I can't keep it. I'll be talking to the floor or the wall behind the person, rather than to the person.

My opinions are extreme. I love something or I hate it. I don't have many interest, but the couple I do have are obsessive and consuming. When I was a child it was ancient Egyptian history; as an adult it's Christianity and church history, as well as scripture and theology. I spend hours and hours researching and reading. I don't have any interest in objects and things. My area in my bedroom is bare; decorations and material objects and novelty items are nothing to me. I simply don't care for things. I want to, but I don't and can't. My clothing is the same bland clothing: black, white, or gray t-shirts and jeans. That's it. I hate formal attire, or dressing up of any kind.

I love reading and writing. What is interesting, though, is that I've always been highly advanced in reading and writing. As an eighth grade student, I had the reading and writing level of college freshman. Let's use the bible for an example: it's easier for me to read and understand the KJV, than, say, something like the NLT. I'm a perfectionist in most things. Let's use writing for an example: if I'm writing and I so much as cross a t or dot an i imperfectly, the whole sheet/paper is trash and I have to start all over.

This goes for all people, but since my wife is my primary contact, I'll use her here: I have a difficult time listening to what my wife is saying. She will have my attention, but soon I drift off into my own world and miss what she is saying. It makes me look careless and insensitive, but it's not the case at all.

I repeat conversations I have with people hours after I have them. I also repeat sentences I say. Not always, but I do. I'll say something and then find myself muttering the sentence again under my breath, sometimes over and over again. I also make clicking and whistling noises in my throat at all times of the day. I have a "tick" I guess, in that I'm constantly moving my eyebrows up and down, or bringing them together.

I can ramble on about history or topics I like, but I get upset when someone tries to share that interest with me. I feel ownership over my interests, and it makes me feel like people are trying to take them from me.

I have difficulty with sleep. My mind won't stop racing, making it hard to drift off. I wake up all throughout the night, causing me to get up earlier than I should. I think a lot of the problem is, I can't stop thinking about my obsessions.

There's much, much more. As I find time, I will also cover my social life and the anxiety I feel, and the difficulties I have in the job field. I suppose the point of this thread is for me to share what is happening in my life, and to see if anyone connects with my struggles at all, and if this sounds like Aspergers. Thanks for reading.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Social Life:

I have almost no social life. I am a hermit. Most of my interaction with people comes from forums and Facebook. I have severe social anxiety. I cannot talk to strangers at all. It's distressing and my face flushes uncontrollably, a condition known as Idiopathic Craniofacial Erythema. If I'm in a store and a stranger asks me a question or says hello, it's as if I've been shot. It's that bad. Even if I know the person, and they say something to me without me seeing it coming, it's bad. If I see someone I know coming my direction, I bolt so I don't have to interact with them. My wife has to take care of most things for me that involve being social; such as returning something to a store, asking someone a question, etc.

I can't begin or hold a conversation. If the other person can't keep small talk going, I sit or stand there awkwardly. They soon realize something is different and make an excuse to get away from me; it's like I'm a freak. And of course, little to no eye contact. A lot of my problems have to do with not fully understanding what is being communicated to me, and I struggle to communicate what I mean, what I'm trying to say. I hate talking. My tone is monotone and my face expressionless. I know this. I don't have a good sense of humor. Most of the time I fail to laugh at jokes, for I didn't realize they were joking, and if I did, it's simply not funny. That makes for many awkward situations. I have ONE good real life friend, who has been my best friend since kindergarten, but these days we only speak or hang out once a month or so. As I grow older, the desire to keep or maintain relationships is diminishing.

There was a time in my life where I began to abuse alcohol. Alcohol numbed my feelings, my thoughts, my sensations. It made me appear normal, capable of going out. That was temporary, though. Eventually alcohol stopped helping, but I continued to abuse it in self pity. Already being angry and frustrated with my life, my struggles and people failing to believe and understand that everyday is a battle that is incomprehensible to them, it fueled outrages. I would fight people stone cold drunk. The worst and final case was when I snapped on my mother. She had always failed to understand me and that I was different. I resent her for throwing me out and not listening to me. I resent her for not believing me, for throwing me and my brother away like unwanted dogs. I was drunk one night and went to her house. She told me to leave. That was it for me. The rage from feeling like a failure and an idiot, the rage of being different, of being thrown out by the person I love most in this world and want nothing but acceptance from, caused me to lose my mind and break out window. That was when I knew I had to give the alcohol up. It wasn't helping my problems, but making them worse.

Work Life:

I can't hold a job. I work for 6 months, then I'm off for 6 months. To even get myself to an interview is the battle of my life. When I am able to land something, I'm always the best worker. My bosses and coworkers love my work. I'm focused and hard working. I lose track of time just doing my job. Things quickly grow sour, though. My social anxiety keeps me from forming friendships at work. I don't talk to coworkers unless forced to. I can't participate in meetings, and I hate working in groups or with a partner. Everything just goes wrong and gets messed up when people are involved in my work. I don't speak to them, so they assume they can take the lead on my work and it makes me mad. I get an attitude. Soon everything appears grim. My coworkers hate me, my work isn't good enough, nobody compliments me enough anymore. Am I wanted? I don't think I'm wanted... And then I quit. Wash, rinse, repeat. Made worse, I can only get jobs where I'm not working with the public AT ALL. Simple jobs like a cashier are not possible for me. It also has to be guaranteed that I won't work with people often. Finding a suitable job is extremely difficult.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
I self medicate with marijuana. Nothing helps with social situations, like going to the store, and helping to get control over my flushing, like marijuana. I also find that I'm able to focus on conversations and my surroundings more with marijuana. Places where it is legal, and if you don't have convictions over the use of it as a Christian, I'd consider it. It helps me in some areas. I also sleep well with it, but anyone would. I don't want this post to distract from the point of the thread, but I had to say this because it could help someone.

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Thank you for sharing!

When are you going to get your diagnostic from the doctor?

I hope you get some feedback from someone with Aspergers.

I still have to see the psychiatrist.

Upvote 0

KnowHisJoy77

blessed
Sep 14, 2014
Georgia USA
✟46,558.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I do not have Aspergers but I can relate with somethings you go through.. after my divorce 7 years ago because of the trauma, betrayl, much stress I became clinical depressed, highly anxious, lots of phobias, isolate myself, became agorohobic. Took me years to get better a day at time..but I am not the person I used to before my burnout. The brain is an incredibly organ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KnowHisJoy77

blessed
Sep 14, 2014
Georgia USA
✟46,558.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
A diagnosis would mean the world to me.

Why is that? To make sense inside yourself or to explain to others? Or other reason?

Since I had my burnout out I can't concentrate much and need to be explained things in some detail but with simplicity, if too complicated I dont understand things.

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Why is that? To make sense inside yourself or to explain to others? Or other reason?

Since I had my burnout out I can't concentrate much and need to be explained things in some detail but with simplicity, if too complicated I dont understand things.

You can't work towards progress without knowing the problem.

Upvote 0

KnowHisJoy77

blessed
Sep 14, 2014
Georgia USA
✟46,558.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I have always had most of these things. The anger is a more recent one. Otherwise I've always been this way.

I think psychologists say that anger has to do with fear and frustration, you might be frustrated, life has lots of pressures...I learned that my anxiety has to do with control..I am learning at newlife.com tv site..they have counselors explaining issues and I am learning with them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
I don't want to be made fun of here for sharing some of what I'm about to share. No judging either. It just... Happens.

Back to not understanding people, it's often a misinterpretation issue. Tones and body language. Ok here goes... Almost every female around my age that shows kindness to me, or shows any kind of interest in me, I always misinterpret their body langue and tone, and their kindness and interest in me, to mean that they want to have sex with me. They want to have a relationship with me. They want me.

On the other side of that, and kind of going back to my work woes, I frequently misinterpret body language and tone to mean that people hate me, they're criticizing me and attacking me. They think I'm stupid and ugly.

I also always react inappropriately to bad news or others sorrows by smiling as if it's funny to me, but it isn't. That's just my reaction. Sometimes it's a huge cheesy disrespectful grin. I have no idea why. That's always disturbed me. I never actually find it amusing at all.

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
With the seeing everyone around me as criticizing me, hating me, thinking horrible thoughts about me, there's no talking me out of it. I just know. They hate me, they think bad things about me. I can just tell. Look at them. Don't you hear it?

^ That's what it's like for me. I will express this to my wife, and she, seeing things the way they truly are, will try to tell me they didn't mean it that way, or they're not attacking me. But there's just no talking me out of it.

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
I don't want to be made fun of here for sharing some of what I'm about to share. No judging either. It just... Happens. Back to not understanding people, it's often a misinterpretation issue. Tones and body language. Ok here goes... Almost every female around my age that shows kindness to me, or shows any kind of interest in me, I always misinterpret their body langue and tone, and their kindness and interest in me, to mean that they want to have sex with me. They want to have a relationship with me. They want me. On the other side of that, and kind of going back to my work woes, I frequently misinterpret body language and tone to mean that people hate me, they're criticizing me and attacking me. They think I'm stupid and ugly. I also always react inappropriately to bad news or others sorrows by smiling as if it's funny to me, but it isn't. That's just my reaction. Sometimes it's a huge cheesy disrespectful grin. I have no idea why. That's always disturbed me. I never actually find it amusing at all.

Let me expand on this issue a little more. I don't go around sexing it up and trying to get involved in affairs. These are thoughts and interpretations that are happening in my head, making for awkward social interaction --- as if it wasn't bad enough as is.

Upvote 0

KnowHisJoy77

blessed
Sep 14, 2014
Georgia USA
✟46,558.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Let me expand on this issue a little more. I don't go around sexing it up and trying to get involved in affairs. These are thoughts and interpretations that are happening in my head, making for awkward social interaction --- as if it wasn't bad enough as is.

Than your brain makes the connection about female kindness means they desire you but if men are kind to you does your brain interprets as regular kindness or other emotion ?

Making facial expressions not expected for the occasion or that doesn't look the emotion to react to the situation at our faces must be difficult! But can you empathize with the person in front of you or your brain does not capture what's going on and then your heart doesn't get involved to and you are clueless to the other person struggle?

For example when you are watching movies or tv news, are you touched by other people stories?

It must be hard to think and feel others are hating you and they really are not. It must feel heavy on you to carry the hate and you cannot change your mind about that. It is settled inside of you.

Upvote 0

grandvizier1006

I don't use this anymore, but I still follow Jesus
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟664,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't want to make a clear-cut diagnosis, but I have Asperger's. You sound like an Aspie to me. Alienation? Check. Social difficulties? Check. Sensory challenges? Check. Eye contact issues? Check. Depression as a result of one's failures? Check. Communication issues? Check. Obsessions? Check. Dislike of change? Check. Chances are you're one of us. And even though it might be hard to live with, everything will be ok in the end. :hug:

Asperger's Syndrome varies in terms of severity. Autism-related disorders aren't called autism "spectrum" disorders for nothing.

I'm afraid that your AS is more severe than mine. I have social difficulties, too, but I can talk to strangers and interact with them if I set my mind to it, even though I may not like it. I've haven't had any major sensory issues, although I do have a few unpleasant things like chocolate, sudden loud noises, temperature, etc.. I just sort of manage since they're not that severe.

I also misread some things and misinterpret what others say, but not with your level of severity.

When you get your diagnosis, have some professionals assess you so you can figure out what you can improve on. What I'd suggest right now, though, is:

1. Get some books to help you with strategies to manage your condition.
2. Work on spending time with your family.
3. Work on acquiring a rudimentary set of social skills. You won't be able to ever gain the sociability of a "normal" person, but you do need to learn how to cope with social situations. And quite honestly, you're farther away from that than I am. I know that might sound kind of condescending, but I'm saying that based on all of your posts.
4. Find some people who share your interests. Since you're interested in theology, you've got an easy obsession to work with. Hopefully your local church has people you can interact with, and once you start working on that you'll be able to find ways to use your obsession productively, if you haven't done so already.

Feel free to ask me for more help. God bless! :)

Upvote 0