Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
So it's not so much learning all the rules and spending your life trying to be perfect, but accepting that God is real and despite my flaws and sins He loves me? I just need to accept that, be thankful for it, and try and love people the way Christ loves all of us?

Unsurprisingly different Christians are going to have different views of what being a Christian entails. Though the above you've written is something most Christians would arguably agree with.

I'll try to speak specifically from my vantage point as a Lutheran on some of these things.

Lutheranism makes a big deal over what we call the distinction between Law and Gospel. We usually point to a single statement Martin Luther wrote in his Heidelberg Disputation of 1518,

"The Law says 'Do this' and it is never done.
Grace says, 'Trust this' and it is done already.
"

When we talk about the Law we mean what God commands, such as the 10 Commandments or Christ's commandment that we love our neighbor, love our enemy, etc. And we then tend to speak about "uses" of the Law. Without getting needlessly theological, basically the Law reveals God's expectation out of us as human beings to live good, upright, loving, just lives before God and our fellow man. But the Law also shows us how we fail to be those good, upright, loving, just people we ought to be. Very often we seek ourselves, we pursue our own self-interests at the expense of those around us, we hurt people through our words and our actions. This missing of the mark is what we call "sin". That's actually the literal meaning of "sin" "to miss the mark".

Because of this we would say that if one attempts to live life under the opinion that if they just try hard enough, if they just work harder and harder and harder they can eventually get on God's good side, or be rewarded by God, or earn God's love through personal effort that it will lead them to despair. If we imagine that there is a ladder that we can climb up to God, or live in such a way as to receive God's blessing, we'll soon discover that in our weaknesses and foibles as sinful people that we aren't progressing, and that is despairing and depressing. We probably will start to conclude that God doesn't love us, or can't love us, that we are completely unlovable and undesirable. That's painful, and it's toxic.

Which is why we talk about the Gospel. The Gospel reveals to us the unconditional love and grace of God which He has for all of us through Jesus; that though we are sinners who fail, and fall, and trip up God truly does love us, and cares for us, and meets us right where we are in our brokenness, in our despair, in our pain, in our sin. That Christ came for everyone, in Christ God is for everyone, in Christ God loves everyone, in Christ God desires everyone. That there isn't a ladder of righteousness to climb up to reach God, because God has already come down in Christ to meet us in our unrighteousness, and to give us His righteousness. No, we can't please God by trying hard enough, but we don't have to, God already looks upon us with affection, compassion, and with fatherly love because of Christ.

That opens up a brand new world. Do I give a loaf of bread to my hungry neighbor because that will score me points with God? Or do I give a loaf of bread to my hungry neighbor because my neighbor is hungry? There's a saying we Lutherans sometimes like throw around: God doesn't need our good works, but our neighbor does.

Our position before God is established in Jesus, God loves us, God forgives us, God invites us to be children and friends; so let us trust in God's mercy--God has this worked out already. In light of this, let us freely love one another, let us freely be kind to one another. There are no divine scales, God doesn't have a score board. We aren't winning points or losing poings; we can just try and love our neighbor. And when we fail to do that, there is boundless grace and forgiveness to lift us back up, and we try again. We'll never get it perfectly right, but we don't have to. Your neighbor needs a smile, a loaf of bread, clean clothes, a shoulder to lean on. And Christ invites us to the sort of people who laugh with those who laugh and mourn with those who mourn, to share in the sufferings and joys of our neighbor in love, compassion, grace, mercy, and forgiveness. That is the great calling of the Christian Church, to bear in ourselves the cross and presence of Jesus Christ and the reality of His death and resurrection to a hurting world.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

NJA

Jan 9, 2004
Near London
Visit site
✟48,657.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So it's not so much learning all the rules and spending your life trying to be perfect, but accepting that God is real and despite my flaws and sins He loves me? I just need to accept that, be thankful for it, and try and love people the way Christ loves all of us?

The only way you can love as Christ loves is to receive something you were not born with, and cannot manufacture from your heart - the love of God.

This comes to you when you do as Chrsit and all the disciples did and receive God's Spirit.

"the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost" (Romans 5:5)

"they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance" (Acts 2:4)

Speaking in tongues is "praying in the Holy Spirit":

"he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him;
howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries ... he edifies himself" (1 Cor. 14:2, 4)

"ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,
Keep yourselves in the love of God" (Jude 20-21)

Best thing is to get to meet people that actually believe and practice this, see my previous post.

Upvote 0

rachelcatherine

Jun 1, 2015
✟7,680.00
Faith
Christian
Exactly. God comes and lives inside us (sounds weird, I know, but stay with me) and he fills that emptiness when our spirit rests in his. Can anyone explain that differently for me? I don't think I explained it very well :/ haha

Upvote 0

rachelcatherine

Jun 1, 2015
✟7,680.00
Faith
Christian
The only way you can love as Christ loves is to receive something you were not born with, and cannot manufacture from your heart - the love of God.

This comes to you when you do as Chrsit and all the disciples did and receive God's Spirit.

"the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost" (Romans 5:5)

"they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance" (Acts 2:4)

Speaking in tongues is "praying in the Holy Spirit":

"he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him;
howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries ... he edifies himself" (1 Cor. 14:2, 4)

"ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,
Keep yourselves in the love of God" (Jude 20-21)

Best thing is to get to meet people that actually believe and practice this, see my previous post.
Just for clarification, speaking in tongues is something that I've personally never witnessed, (I do go to a Baptist Church - mind you, it doesn't sound anything like the church you've experienced) so if you never speak in tongues it does not mean you are not praying correctly etc. It's kind of like how some people receive visions from God, from my understanding.

Upvote 0

NJA

Jan 9, 2004
Near London
Visit site
✟48,657.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Just for clarification, speaking in tongues is something that I've personally never witnessed, (I do go to a Baptist Church - mind you, it doesn't sound anything like the church you've experienced) so if you never speak in tongues it does not mean you are not praying correctly etc. It's kind of like how some people receive visions from God, from my understanding.

Hi Rachel, if you understand what you say when you pray, that's "praying with the understanding", which is correct, but,
there is this new type of prayer, not found in the Old Testament wherby the Holy Spirit leads you according to the perfect will of God,
into the love, joy and peace that pass understanding.

"if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.
What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also:
I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also" (1 Corinthians 14:14-15)

"the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought:
but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered" (Romans 8:26)

Best thing is to chat to people that have this ability & then pray with them.

Upvote 0

rachelcatherine

Jun 1, 2015
✟7,680.00
Faith
Christian
Hi Rachel, if you understand what you say when you pray, that's "praying with the understanding", which is correct, but,
there is this new type of prayer, not found in the Old Testament wherby the Holy Spirit leads you according to the perfect will of God,
into the love, joy and peace that pass understanding.

"if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.
What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also:
I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also" (1 Corinthians 14:14-15)

"the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought:
but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered" (Romans 8:26)

Best thing is to chat to people that have this ability & then pray with them.
Oh ok, I see. But are there are also other ways the spirit can move you to pray?

Upvote 0

NJA

Jan 9, 2004
Near London
Visit site
✟48,657.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Oh ok, I see. But are there are also other ways the spirit can move you to pray?
I don't know any and I never found any in the New Testament.
If you get that way you will experience what Jesus said about having a well within and never thirsting again!

Upvote 0

Drew Jones

Jun 8, 2015
✟7,656.00
Faith
Christian
Dear OP, I cannot only answer from what I know at the moment. Which isn't much. But a couple things stood out.

Regarding your emptiness. As a former Christian myself, having since dropped it, I too feel empty. The reason is actually very simple; life offers an overwhelming amount of choice. Following Jesus offers a single one.

One the one hand, you have so much choice in the secular world, it can become confusing and leave you not knowing which direction to head, or what to claim as your purpose. This is where I am.

On the other, your directive is to rejoice in Him and spread His word and teachings.

This is why you feel lost.

The other topic, is one of LGBT. This one may get sticky and may cause debate, which we cannot do here, so I offer this as my opinion only, though it is based in scripture.

Neither God, nor Jesus, specifically prohibited the coupling of same-sex relationships. He only said that "unnatural" or "unclean" sex is wrong. (Read oral/anal here.) There's a difference between being in-love with a same-sex partner, and engaging in sex with them. Or, as scripture put it "laying with another man as he would a woman". In fact, loving everybody unconditionally is a prime component of being a Christian. What you have to realize here is that I, like God, make a distinction between love and sex, the latter of which is primarily a tool of procreation.

At least, that was my interpretation of it. I may be wrong. I've been wrong before.

Upvote 0