I'm an outsider in need of a Baptist perspective.

timberwallace

Feb 10, 2015
✟15,179.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm working on a YouTube channel about the Bible and it's something I'd like to make accessible to people from other traditions. I very much want my show to be useful for a broad group of people, so I'm trying to keep the emphasis on the raw content of the Bible and not my preferences or opinions. I'm also trying to keep it fun.
I would be very grateful if you'd take a look at some of what I've done and tell me how it comes off to you. I'm eager for feedback on my tone, style, and theology. If there's stuff you see that I could do to make this more useful for you, I'm all ears and grateful.
To find my channel, just search "The Ten Minute Bible Hour" on YouTube.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Matt

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
If you are trying to get an hour worth of lessons in ten mins don't bother. you should spent as much time as you feel called to do, but if your roots are not deep you will fall away. So how much time does it take to get deep roots? You can not study God unless you love Him, and if you love God you will love His word. So would i say i'll try to fit an hour worth of reading of my favorite book into ten min, no I would spend the hour because I enjoy it. Sometimes i spend the time because i am carrying my cross for God. Like my teacher reminded the class this week. Studying God may not be convenient but this is when we carry our cross for God. We can not follow God unless we take up our cross.

That said first thought change the title. and if that is the theme change the whole site.

Upvote 0

timberwallace

Feb 10, 2015
✟15,179.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the feedback and for taking a minute to check it out. I personally have an appetite for hours on hours of study per week, but I'm trying to connect with an audience that hasn't developed that appetite just yet. That's the reason for the time frame I've chosen.
In your opinion could the format I've chosen be useful for people you've met who are newer in their faith but interested in understanding the Bible better?

Upvote 0

mikedsjr

Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Timber, as a YouTube watcher, and as one always looking for a Biblical lessons that aren't BOORING on YouTube, you did a good job. Quite honestly I was hoping for a bit more humor to go along with the education you brought. But impressed for what you did. Have you considered a co-host, even for possibly recap shows? Someone your so comfortable with you could add more hilarity and keep the education?

You've done well. I really only have one other YouTube Christian show I'll watch and he is Lutheran Priest. Unlike uptight outspoken Baptist warriors, Lutherans are just grumpy about evangelicalism but love love love to have educational good times.... beer optional. I love Jonathan Fisk's YouTube show.

Upvote 0

timberwallace

Feb 10, 2015
✟15,179.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks so much for the reply and the thoughts mikedsjr. I appreciate the sentiment you threw out regarding the Bible and boringness. I don't fancy myself to be the most engaging or entertaining person, but I'm hoping that some dashes of my dry sense of humor might make it easier for viewers to stick with me. I'm glad you weren't worn out by it and I'll remember your remark about being up for even a bit more the next time I edit.
I love your suggestion about bringing on a co-host from time to time, and I think doing that with recap episodes would be a great place to start. I will definitely incorporate that advice.
Thanks for helping me make this better.

Upvote 0

PrincetonGuy

Veteran
Feb 19, 2005
U.S.A.
✟108,918.00
Faith
Baptist
I'm working on a YouTube channel about the Bible and it's something I'd like to make accessible to people from other traditions. I very much want my show to be useful for a broad group of people, so I'm trying to keep the emphasis on the raw content of the Bible and not my preferences or opinions. I'm also trying to keep it fun.
I would be very grateful if you'd take a look at some of what I've done and tell me how it comes off to you. I'm eager for feedback on my tone, style, and theology. If there's stuff you see that I could do to make this more useful for you, I'm all ears and grateful.
To find my channel, just search "The Ten Minute Bible Hour" on YouTube.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Matt

I watched your first two episodes and I believe that, if you keep your present format, methodology, and objectives, your audience with grow and benefit substantially from your program. The Bible does not rely upon humor to keep its audience, and I do not believe that you should either. However, it is your program and the Holy Spirit will speak much more to your heart about it rather than to mine or anyone else’s. Feedback can be helpful, but it can also be distracting. My suggestion to you: stick to what God has shown you to do rather than what other people may tell you to do.

Upvote 0