• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

I'm addicted to message boards, can you help me?

A

ajm122188

Hello. I have a very bad problem and was wondering if anyone could relate to me, give me advice, or pray for me.

This has now been going on for 2 and a half years. It all started back in August of 2002 when I joined a message board community. At first, I loved the idea. If I had known how much pain this would have cost me, I would have never joined. After about 2 months of posting, I would come home after school, glue myself to the computer, and not be able to get off. It was like a never-ending convorsation, and I always felt the need to see where it would go next. My problem kept going downhill as time progressed. I lost interest in haning out with real friends, the message board was my social life. Do you know that feeling you get when you're at home? You know, the feeling like you can be you. Well, I didn't have this feeling anymore when I was in my house.. I didn't get that "home" feeling until after I had logged in to the message board..

The community that I was a member of is what I call an anarchy message board. The admin rarley showed up. And when he did, he didn't delete the posts that should've been deleted nor ban the people that should've been banned. The majority of the posters there were either trolls, flamers, or a bit of both. Everyone was a member of a certain clique. If you weren't in a clique, you usually would have one or two really good friends that would support you. Usually, all the cliques tried to outflame or outwit the other. Everyday, it was a game to us. I liked the idea.. but everyone, including myself always had to come back, no matter how good or bad their position was. I guess it was a pride and addiction thing. I quit posting on that message board in January of 2004. I now go to other ones, but not the anarchy type.

Did any good come out of this? Absolutley. I now have a huge amount of wit. I can outwit and outflame pretty much anyone I want, and I've done it too. I now have all the characteristics needed to become a lawyer or politician.

Anyway, I haven't been speaking much about the negative affects it's having on me. Everyday when I get home, I feel the need to get on and check the boards. If I don't, then I'm so distracted that I absolutley cannot think.. The first thing I do on weekends when I get up is get on the message boards, and don't log off for about an hour. Remember how I was talking about the "home" feeling earlier? I remember on my birthday, my Dad took me and my friends out to the movies and the arcade. I was so distracted thinking about replying and immersing myself into the message boards, that I didn't even feel like celibrating my birthday nor did I feel like I was having as much fun as I potentially could. Because of message boards, I've lost interests in playing sports, hanging out with friends, and playing video games.

Normally, I'd convince my parents to get rid of the internet so I wouldn't even have the ability to log on. I have a 14-year-old brother who's considered attractive by many girls he goes to school with. He has a good social life and he's always talking to them via AOL instant messanger. I don't want my brother to not be able to talk with his girls..

Did you know that I've actually taken medication to help me get off message boards? Anti-depressents would work for this. I've taken paxil, wellbutrin, zoloft. They work at keeping down my compulsions of worrying too much about my messages, but the pills still don't berid of my mental addiction.

Am I going to be stuck like this until I can finally move out in the next two years?

C

Changed

Well I am sure many others are going through this as well! I myself have times where I am on alot, then I go thru phases where I hardly want to be on. Lets face it-talking real time with real ppl is much more interesting/entertaining than watching TV! I think if you took away "how to flame ppl' you didn't really get anything beneficial out of it! If you are bringing encouragement,truth and enlightment you are doing a good thing. Do yo have friends? In sports? I'd look for things to do,to keep you occupied with real life ppl. If you don't want to even leave the house for fear of "missing" something-you are definetley addicted! Pray and find accountability partners going thru the same thing. There could be worse adictions,but no addiction is healthy in and of itself!

Upvote 0

TheMainException

Senior Veteran
Jun 13, 2004
In my universe
✟19,228.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
My brother....you need to start setting rules for yourself....say, like, okay, only two hours total tonight...only four hours on Saturday...and make yourself go out and do something active....read a good book, etc. And stick to these rules....hard, I know...I've had addictions too....but you've got to stick to the rules. Try it....you might not like it at first...but it will get easier eventually...also, up the rules as you complete each step. HOpe this works for you, Lauren

Upvote 0