I'm a GenX dealing with modern children.

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, they're still open! When I'm feeling goofy, I'll wear 8 different earrings...but my favorite is to wear different sizes of hoops, from about 1" diameter to 3" diameter
RedPonyDriver:

Well, I'm not sure that multiple earrings is goofy now! It's something that teen girls (and their moms; some moms, at least) started doing in the late 70s. I guess it's a bit like a woman getting a little tattoo: while multiple earrings might once have been regarded as a bit edgy, yet now so many ppl do it, including grandmothers and preachers' wives, etc. (Am I not correct? :) )

Upvote 0

sdmsanjose

Jun 19, 2006
Arizona
✟23,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am a boomer and my two sons have tattoos and so does my grandson. My niece has holes all over her body including one on her tongue with a small looking steelie on top of the tongue. For those of you that are not of the boomer era or the genX, a steelie is what we called a ball bearing type marble that could knock all the marbles out of the ring. Do any children play marbles anymore?

Ok back to the youth culture of the day. Not only do my young relatives have tats and holes on their body, my doctor got a tat at age 80! His son is a tattoo artist and the doctor is as conservative as you can get. Anyway, all my relatives that have tattoos and manmade holes in their body are really very good people. So they help me to drop the stereotype that I had many year ago that Tattoos and piercings were for the Hells Angels, Prison criminals, and those wild people in Borneo that I used to see in the National Geographic magazine. Does anyone read the national geographic magazines anymore?

The tats and the piercings of my family and doctor help me to remember the great saying of “DO NOT JUDGE A BOOK BY THE COVER”

Upvote 0

Avniel

Doing my part each day by being the best me
Jun 11, 2010
Bronx NYC
✟38,941.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
HannahT: They do the tattoo thing after 18 as a sort of rite of passage.

It's a bit like how teens (and their moms) would get double / triple pierced ears 30-35 years ago.
That's still in style except now boys have them too......as well as this new skirt(oh sorry kilt) trend going on in NYC.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
this new skirt(oh sorry kilt) trend going on in NYC.
There is a difference between a kilt and a skirt. Aside from kilts having some specific construction requirements, nothing is worn underneath. (commando) So even if it is a kilt technically, it is actually a skirt if underwear is worn.

Upvote 0

Avniel

Jun 11, 2010
Bronx NYC
✟38,941.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
There is a difference between a kilt and a skirt. Aside from kilts having some specific construction requirements, nothing is worn underneath. (commando) So even if it is a kilt technically, it is actually a skirt if underwear is worn.
Noooo it's a clear skirt with leggings.....I have a daughter so trust me I am versed in what a skirt is it's crazy. There are no leather kilts, whoooooooaaaaaaa! I actually had that argument with someone. Hip Hop and the evidence of the emasculation of the black man however is a total different conversation.

People do the most far out there stuff and then cover it up and these dumb dumbs just follow behind everything.....My family is jamaican the skinny jeans looks good with the clarks....and all this high fashion stuff has been popular in jamaica.....but the skirt is where you have to say stop.

People just jump from one trend to another never finding their own swagg so when there is something weird being promoted they don't see it because they are so wrapped up in fitting in.

Upvote 0

Avniel

Jun 11, 2010
Bronx NYC
✟38,941.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
True. Often earrings come as the precursor of the first tattoo.
I know a lot of boys that are getting their earrings before they are 10. I think most of my friends with son's children have earrings.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I know a lot of boys that are getting their earrings before they are 10. I think most of my friends with son's children have earrings.
Avniel:

Yes, and these days boys tend to do both ears. These days it's a natural event for boys of all ages to go get their ears pierced.

Upvote 0

Avniel

Jun 11, 2010
Bronx NYC
✟38,941.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Avniel:

Yes, and these days boys tend to do both ears. These days it's a natural event for boys of all ages to go get their ears pierced.
Yeah at first it was two earrings meant homosexual now its one earring thats probably why you see more men wearing two. Nobody knows which ear states what so they just get both done. I believe that was the logic, that's why I got both of mine.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Avniel

Jun 11, 2010
Bronx NYC
✟38,941.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
No reason to take them out, I guess, right? :)
Only time I take it out is when I need people to forget I'm black and think about the dollars. For me it's a statement, I guess my own insecurities brought by success, sometimes makes me question my connection within the community. The earrings keeps me connected and its a good reminds me why I do what I do and that this job isn't who I am, this class isn't how I am....it's just what I'm doing for money.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Only time I take it out is when I need people to forget I'm black and think about the dollars. For me it's a statement, I guess my own insecurities brought by success, sometimes makes me question my connection within the community. The earrings keeps me connected and its a good reminds me why I do what I do and that this job isn't who I am, this class isn't how I am....it's just what I'm doing for money.
I guess earrings make you feel more confident, right?

So as a guy do you prefer to keep in earrings that are metal studs? or rings? or maybe jewels?

Upvote 0

Avniel

Jun 11, 2010
Bronx NYC
✟38,941.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I guess earrings make you feel more confident, right?

So as a guy do you prefer to keep in earrings that are metal studs? or rings? or maybe jewels?
Not confident culturally connected and not like a sellout.

Diamond gold studs the hoops are cool but to do it right pricey.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Not confident culturally connected and not like a sellout.

Diamond gold studs the hoops are cool but to do it right pricey.
Avniel:

You're a father, right? Dads with earrings need not be surprised if they have sons that he will want to wear earrings like their dads! :)

Upvote 0

Avniel

Jun 11, 2010
Bronx NYC
✟38,941.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Avniel:

You're a father, right? Dads with earrings need not be surprised if they have sons that he will want to wear earrings like their dads! :)
I don't mind it's part of his culture. :) when he comes to me I will get him some but something stylish I don't care what style he likes. Lol

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0