Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
IJWTS we watched the latest "Night at the Museum" for Family Movie Night. So fun! I sliced up strawberries so we could have a healthy movie snack, so what do the hubs and son do? Go grab chips lol. Yeah, the movie was silly and ridiculous, but the boys were laughing up a storm, and we were all snuggled on the bed together, and those are the moments that make me love my life :love:

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
IJWTS the Nubster is headed to a Lego Robotics competition tomorrow. He's trying to back out of it due to nerves and worrying that his team won't win. I told him that's not an option, you're part of the team, you will be there for better or worse. Besides, he balks at a lot of things, but once he's out of the house and engaged, he almost always winds up having fun.

Upvote 0

Verve

No grit, no pearl.
Apr 12, 2011
✟24,640.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
IJWTS- Sometimes the ignorance of the human race makes me feel like there is something wrong with me for seeing the cracks.

tumblr_mqo1xroCsb1sz9qdmo1_500.gif

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DZoolander

Persnickety Member
Apr 24, 2007
Far far away
✟112,634.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
IJWTS- Sometimes the ignorance of the human race makes me feel like there is something wrong with me for seeing the cracks.

tumblr_mqo1xroCsb1sz9qdmo1_500.gif

I don't disagree, but now you've got me curious about hearing an example...lol

Upvote 0

Verve

No grit, no pearl.
Apr 12, 2011
✟24,640.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I don't disagree, but now you've got me curious about hearing an example...lol

Oh, it's just that sometimes I just don't understand other women.
I've even had one friend tell me I "think like a guy" before…

That, and the following image...

superthumb.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Inkachu

Jan 31, 2008
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I just found out that my boss received a call for a job reference for me, in regards to a position I'd interviewed for last week. It's extremely close to home, but would be a slight pay cut. Then almost immediately after that, I got a call to interview for another job I'd applied for! This one is much better pay, but the same commute distance that I have now. I also worry that I'll get offered the first job before I've even interviewed for the second one (scheduled for the 12th). Help!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟217,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I just found out that my boss received a call for a job reference for me, in regards to a position I'd interviewed for last week. It's extremely close to home, but would be a slight pay cut. Then almost immediately after that, I got a call to interview for another job I'd applied for! This one is much better pay, but the same commute distance that I have now. I also worry that I'll get offered the first job before I've even interviewed for the second one (scheduled for the 12th). Help!!

I was in a similar predicament, only I was unemployed at the time. 2 companies were interested in me at the same time and had interviews about the same time. In my experience, if a company is interested in you during or after the interview, they will ask if you have any offers or are interviewing with anyone else.

I was upfront with both that I was interviewing with another company. IMO, this created a perceived demand for me. One company was a shorter commute for less money than the other, so I played that demand. They offered me $X/yr. but knowing that the second company was paying at least $10k more than that I ended up negotiating $5k more than the first company's initial offer.

My advice is to keep your options open until you have all the information you need, including any offers in writing. If the lesser paying company with the shorter commute is the best fit for you, then ask them to up their offer.

Good luck!

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Jan 31, 2008
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was in a similar predicament, only I was unemployed at the time. 2 companies were interested in me at the same time and had interviews about the same time. In my experience, if a company is interested in you during or after the interview, they will ask if you have any offers or are interviewing with anyone else.

I was upfront with both that I was interviewing with another company. IMO, this created a perceived demand for me. One company was a shorter commute for less money than the other, so I played that demand. They offered me $X/yr. but knowing that the second company was paying at least $10k more than that I ended up negotiating $5k more than the first company's initial offer.

My advice is to keep your options open until you have all the information you need, including any offers in writing. If the lesser paying company with the shorter commute is the best fit for you, then ask them to up their offer.

Good luck!

Unfortunately, the pay is non-negotiable since these are government jobs, but thanks for the advice! I was examining the calendar, and if I got offered the first job and asked for two full weeks to give notice, that would give me until March 23rd. My interview for the higher-paying job is on March 12th, and I imagine if they wanted me I'd hear something before the 23rd. So I feel a little calmer :)

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟217,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Unfortunately, the pay is non-negotiable since these are government jobs, but thanks for the advice! I was examining the calendar, and if I got offered the first job and asked for two full weeks to give notice, that would give me until March 23rd. My interview for the higher-paying job is on March 12th, and I imagine if they wanted me I'd hear something before the 23rd. So I feel a little calmer :)

Gov't jobs don't have any flexibility in pay? Bummer. Good luck anyway! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Jan 31, 2008
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Gov't jobs don't have any flexibility in pay? Bummer. Good luck anyway! :thumbsup:

Nope, at least not here. They have a "range of pay" but you always start at the bottom, and I've never heard of anyone ever getting a raise or increase in pay, ever. You stay where you are or move to another position.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am a gov FTE. I suppose it depends on WHICH government you are working for.

All US Federal positions have a range of pay with scales you move thru quickly at first and then slowly to the top of your scale; and that is the same if you are GS schedule or Z schedule. (my agency is on Z scale - I am a ZP-3) Every year at evaluations I have gotten a raise, even if it is a small one. I originally hired in as a ZP-2 (at the top of the scale) and after 1 year was eligible to put in for ZP-3 which I did.

Upvote 0

Astrid1986

New believer
Mar 22, 2012
Netherlands
Visit site
✟7,937.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
IJWTS that my husband and I just had a major financial setback. We had to pay back several thousands of euros to the revenue service (which pays for housing and care benefits in addition to collecting taxes). It's all because my husband just makes a little too uch. Today, another notice came requiring us to pay even more.

Upvote 0

bluegreysky

Can't adult today.
Sep 11, 2006
Saint Augustine, FL
✟22,012.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
ok lol i literally can't even....
No one on the chat seemed interested to hear this so Ima put it here.

I dated this bad-boy for awhile several years ago. real winner he was...
he lived in this sad, dirty old house with his brother and father even though him and his brother were like late 20's. that should have been one of many warning flags ugh.
anyways, if you look at the google street view of their house, there's a RECYCLE BIN in the front yard on the curb.
Why is that funny?
because these guys, as I would later piece together everything after I broke up with him, none of them were good guys. they lied to people, cheated, stole and did whatever they had to do to get whatever it was they wanted. They did not care who's hearts they broke or who they hurt, nor did they care to live like civilized people from the state of that house.
But they care enough to RECYCLE.
ok.

Like I said, I literally can't even.

Upvote 0