If you had a chance to meet God in person..

Lord Herdsetk

What were they thinking?
Dec 4, 2010
Alabama
✟16,810.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Would that change your faith?

Before you chime in and say yes, let me elaborate.

There are several times throughout the Bible where people experience God, and by extension Yeshua / Jesus 's miracles. However, there always seems to be a select group of people that still does not believe in YHWH or refuses to accept YHWH even in when seeing these spectacular events in person. For crying out loud, Thomas got his nickname for constantly having doubts about Jesus.

Can you accept life as we know it being an act of God, or would you need proof that God does exist and did create all that we see? If so, what kind of proof would be adequate? If enough proof was given, would you be willing to follow God, or would you still want to go on your own way?

I've been asking myself these questions a lot lately. Even though I've had what some would call a "God moment", I'm still not certain. I have some belief, but its hard for me to believe in spite of the infinite amount of other views about who or what God is, if those viewpoints even agree with there being a god.

I am like the rich young man who couldn't give away his wealth to follow Jesus. I have faith, but there are some things, some ideas that I just can't seem to let go of. I will admit that I can be naive at times, and I've been burned pretty badly by someone I thought was a great man of faith. But I still don't think that God existing and being who he says he is is false. Its the personal experiences of those who claim to follow God that really cause me to question my faith. So many personal tales of their experiences with God seem to contradict each other.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there are so many different viewpoints about who God is, where God is, what God wants us to do and not do, that I fear we as followers of God are attempting to put Him inside a catbox. Its like we're observing Schrodinger, attempting to guess whether or not the cat is really alive or dead. Only, instead of finding out the answer inside the box, the cat was never in there to begin with. Am I making sense?

Anyone struggle with this here?

kevlite2020

rawr means I love you in dinosaur!
Sep 11, 2008
Florida
Visit site
✟35,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Yes, I think a lot of us, if not all of us do to varying degrees.

I always think about when God lead the Hebrews out of Egypt. The Hebrews saw all these incredible miracles... They heard all the things that Moses said and taught... Nobody should have a stronger faith than those people had. But they go and cross the red sea which God parted for them, and end up on the other side, unharmed and free.

Anyone catch what happens next? Moses goes up to talk to God and receive the commandments... The people freak out and immediately make a new god. Then they start partying and going wild. They had first hand experience with God's power and sovereignty and they still went that route.

So the question to ask myself is, am I any better than those people? I really don't think so. God has done some incredible and powerful things in my life, and I have done some changing from when I was a non-believer. Yet, I'm not living my life and acting like I truly 100% believe in Him, even though I do. It's like, I have no problem letting God into my life, but I do have major problems changing my life to be more obedient to Him.

Upvote 0

GoodNewsJim

Senior Veteran
Aug 2, 2006
Visit site
✟20,152.00
Faith
Presbyterian
I do know God is real for a fact. He let me know he is real. And yes it changed my life, I can lead my life with this knowledge. This means I can serve God with great joy knowing that servitude is a privilege. God doesn't need to use us, but he chooses to use us as an honor for us. When you know God is real, you know there is no greater honor than to be used for God's purpose.

Reactions: Revived
Upvote 0

HazelWings

There is no one like our God
Apr 17, 2011
Oregon
Visit site
✟18,056.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
For a simple answer, I accept this life as the one God has made. How can a person look at something as small as a flower or a tree or something as large as the ocean or the mountains and not see God's handwork in it? The proof I need is all around me.

Upvote 0

Revived

Fighting the good fight of faith.
Mar 25, 2009
Planted by the water
Visit site
✟30,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I do know God is real for a fact. He let me know he is real. And yes it changed my life, I can lead my life with this knowledge. This means I can serve God with great joy knowing that servitude is a privilege. God doesn't need to use us, but he chooses to use us as an honor for us. When you know God is real, you know there is no greater honor than to be used for God's purpose.

I could not agree more. This is perfectly stated in my opinion.

Upvote 0

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟381,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'm not sure how I would react. Existence (creation) is sufficient evidence for me. Although I've interacted with God over the years, I don't require what most call miracles in order to have faith. That doesn't mean I don't think they're real, it just means that I think they're targeted toward a slightly different demographic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Thunder Peel

You don't eat a peacock until it's cooked.
Aug 17, 2008
Missouri
✟40,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I already believe God exists. Seeing Him would only confirm what I already know, though I can't deny that it would be a pretty incredible (and frightening) experience. The Bible even states that during the end times people will see Jesus and still refuse to believe. Some hearts are hardened to the point where they don't want to accept anything and that's their business.

I don't need to see something to believe it exists. I can't physically see my heart or my lungs or air but I know that they are real and that they work. If our faith was based solely on what we could see it wouldn't require the patience and fastidiousness that helps us grow.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,161,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If I saw Jesus I would believe, not necessarily worship him but believe lol *though with the threat of hell I'd have to start faking it*, but it would have to be something more concrete than some feeling in my heart.

Upvote 0

Im_A

Legend
May 10, 2004
✟35,359.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Would that change your faith?

Before you chime in and say yes, let me elaborate.

There are several times throughout the Bible where people experience God, and by extension Yeshua / Jesus 's miracles. However, there always seems to be a select group of people that still does not believe in YHWH or refuses to accept YHWH even in when seeing these spectacular events in person. For crying out loud, Thomas got his nickname for constantly having doubts about Jesus.

Can you accept life as we know it being an act of God, or would you need proof that God does exist and did create all that we see? If so, what kind of proof would be adequate? If enough proof was given, would you be willing to follow God, or would you still want to go on your own way?

I've been asking myself these questions a lot lately. Even though I've had what some would call a "God moment", I'm still not certain. I have some belief, but its hard for me to believe in spite of the infinite amount of other views about who or what God is, if those viewpoints even agree with there being a god.

I am like the rich young man who couldn't give away his wealth to follow Jesus. I have faith, but there are some things, some ideas that I just can't seem to let go of. I will admit that I can be naive at times, and I've been burned pretty badly by someone I thought was a great man of faith. But I still don't think that God existing and being who he says he is is false. Its the personal experiences of those who claim to follow God that really cause me to question my faith. So many personal tales of their experiences with God seem to contradict each other.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there are so many different viewpoints about who God is, where God is, what God wants us to do and not do, that I fear we as followers of God are attempting to put Him inside a catbox. Its like we're observing Schrodinger, attempting to guess whether or not the cat is really alive or dead. Only, instead of finding out the answer inside the box, the cat was never in there to begin with. Am I making sense?

My reaction would be the same as when a scientist is proven wrong by another scientist...teach me.

Forget the whole disappointment with reality that one would have to face. No longer could the fantasies lead to depression because reality would affect faith.

I would just simply ask to teach me why the things I have gone through have been the way it was. I would bring up my side at all extent. Why did my family have to go through the things they had to go through. What lessons are worth years of hell in some sort of agonizing need to learn 'lessons' we already know? Why is it when I drive by the ghettos of the city I live in, those people have to suffer because they don't have the same opportune of chance that I have? Why my best friend of over 10 years had to watch his mother die of cancer, then now watch his father die of cancer but abandon the family for some woman wanting a green card in California and now he has to follow shoes that I have had to follow for 16 years, a brother who plays father at all times, no matter if I am far away in distance or in the same house as well? An unavoidable condemnation that one actually loves because they will fulfill it at the cost of their own lives if it means that their family member will come out ok in the end.

This stuff wouldn't be pointing the finger at God either. It wouldn't be like, "Screw you!" and it wouldn't be like the time I flipped off my father. It would be, "Help me understand even at the mere slightest clue that I can be a better part than what I already am and the rest, well, just be there and may your will be done". I am one non-believer that ended faith with a prayer, "May your will be done".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lord Herdsetk

What were they thinking?
Dec 4, 2010
Alabama
✟16,810.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Honestly guys, I feel the same way as all of you. Some days I can believe easier than others, some days I have serious doubts.

I guess when it comes down to it, you still have to make a choice about whether or not you believe and accept God. Even if you were to see Him with your own eyes, you still have to choose if you want to follow Him. I don't really like this answer, but its probably the most sound. Whatever life throws at you, you are ultimately the one that chooses whether or not you believe. Some people have better opportunities than others to learn about God. Some people go through hell to learn about God. Some don't even have a chance to hear about Him.

I just hope that God is understanding enough to know why I feel both ways. Life's pretty crappy at times, but it has its moments :)

Upvote 0

er72

May 6, 2011
Nowhere
✟648.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
You're right, you do have a choice to make about believing or not. It's something only you can do.

As for other people, they all have their own path to walk, you have yours. Everyone is different. I've met God and I know God is real, yet I've also had doubts. Those come from the enemy, never God. God wants people to believe in Him, not doubt Him. So the enemy will use all the natural mind to get you to doubt and reason away God's existence.

But God is faithful. He promised those who seek Him will find Him and to call upon Him and He will show you great and mighty things you know not. It's up to you to appropriate those promises, believe them and act on them. I guarantee God will find a way to speak to you and show up in your life, but you have to trust that will happen and not reason away at every little thing as some sort of strange "coincidence". If you do that, you'll never find God.

The truth is, God is everywhere and all around us. He's closer than your next thought and more intimate to you than your dearest friend or mate. But most people never acknowledge Him in their lives, and go through the motions of religion until they die. What a sad way to live life, rather than taking steps to know the True God.

You are right though, men always try to put God into a box. It's not that God is not in the box, it's that He transcends the box. Religion is man's attempt to define the Alpha and the Omega. They try hard, and get some hits and some misses. For some, religion works beautifully at describing God, for others, it is a temporary thing to learn about God, but to grow beyond the confines of what an organized faith teaches about God. There is no right or wrong answer, as long as it is bringing you closer to knowing who God really is. He's not distant or far off, but is right there with you even now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MacFall

Agorist
Nov 24, 2007
Western Pennsylvania, USA
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I've already had a crisis of faith and come out on the other side a believer. And I would still be stubborn and proud, and I would still have my flesh to deal with after meeting God. In fact, I don't know how it would be very different from other spiritual experiences I've had, seeing how I can't describe those experiences in any other way than that I met God. So it would probably be one more event leading me to greater maturity, but not very different from those I've already had.

Upvote 0