Feb 11, 2015
Oklahoma, USA
✟16,471.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Why do some Christians believe in OSAS?
I haven't read much into with what other people said, but in my eyes, if you believe in the ability to lose your salvation you basically to some extent believe your salvation is dependent upon you. John Macarthur said once, "If you could lose your salvation, you would." If we could lose our salvation by sinning, we would lose it on a daily basis. But Jesus didn't die multiple times, did He? He died once and for all... literally... if you're saved, you were elected... before God created this earth He knew you.. I don't think/believe sinning now would "stump Him" or cause you to lose your salvation simply because Jesus died approx. 2000 years ago (give or take a few)..He had you on His mind when He died for you... wouldn't it make sense if He knew every sin you commit in your life?...

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The NT has great harmony with the OT. IT is a continuation and update of the OT. Both testaments were written by Jews. Most of their audiences were Jewish (including the NT) But that cannot be seen if approached from a Greek/Roman mindset. The NT can only be properly understood and appreciated if one has a firm grasp on the OT. Then and ONLY then can one say with the author of Hebrews: "He is also the mediator of a better covenant, which has been enacted on better promises." (8.6) How do you really know its better? (at a gut level, not an intellectual one)
Not really. The NT Epistles are written to Gentile churches except Hebrews. It doesn't matter if they were Jews or not, because they all preached the New Covenant. First to the Jew, then to the Gentile.

So, the audience were not Jews in the NT.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Fulfill does not mean abolish.

Rabbi Hillel in the previous century said the exact same thing. Hillel and Shammai started the 2 main schools of Pharasaism in Jerusalem in the late first century bc. It was said that a Roman Centurion came into Shammai's school and ordered him "Teach me your Torah while I stand here on one foot." (Torah = 5 books of Moses) Shammai threw him out of the house. So he went to Hillel and demanded the same. Hillel looked at him for a moment and then said "Love God with your whole mind, soul and strength; and Love your neighbor as yourself. The rest is just commentary."
I'm not praising nor saved by Rabbi anyone, nor Hilel of Shammai. Nor Torah, nor Tannak.

I only live the Bible. Jesus crucified. His blood, the Lamb of God. The One every Old Testament prophet and patriarch pointed to. That Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I haven't read much into with what other people said, but in my eyes, if you believe in the ability to lose your salvation you basically to some extent believe your salvation is dependent upon you. John Macarthur said once, "If you could lose your salvation, you would." If we could lose our salvation by sinning, we would lose it on a daily basis. But Jesus didn't die multiple times, did He? He died once and for all... literally... if you're saved, you were elected... before God created this earth He knew you.. I don't think/believe sinning now would "stump Him" or cause you to lose your salvation simply because Jesus died approx. 2000 years ago (give or take a few)..He had you on His mind when He died for you... wouldn't it make sense if He knew every sin you commit in your life?...
Excellent post; and if I may say so shows a lot of maturity in understanding.

In any case, Romans 8.38-39 is clear about the truly born again believer's eternal security.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So, the audience were not Jews in the NT.
Who made up the leaders in the congregations Paul started? Jews. He ALWAYS started in the synagogues until they kicked him out.So - Jews. New Covenant believing JEWS.
The NT Epistles are written to Gentile churches except Hebrews.
Read the header for James, for both of Peter's letters, Jude, .... All written to Jewish believers.

As far as is known, the congregation at Rome (which Paul did NOT start) was about 50/50 Jews and Romans.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Who made up the leaders in the congregations Paul started? Jews. He ALWAYS started in the synagogues until they kicked him out.So - Jews. New Covenant believing JEWS.
You need to brush up on your New Testament. The leaders in those congregations were not Jews.

Where is Phillipi?
Where is Collasae?
Where is Rome?
Where is Corinth?
Where is Ephesus?
Where is Galatia?
Where is Thessalonica?

Not Jewish leaders my friend. Not even Jewish countries.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Not Jewish leaders my friend. Not even Jewish countries
No, but all the great cities of the Roman world had Jewish quarters or ghettos and it was to the Jews in those cities that the early Christian evangelists went first. Obviously, the people most likely to be attuned to talk of the Messiah would be the Jews.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
No, but all the great cities of the Roman world had Jewish quarters or ghettos and it was to the Jews in those cities that the early Christian evangelists went first. Obviously, the people most likely to be attuned to talk of the Messiah would be the Jews.
Paul started all those churches. Paul was the apostle to the gentiles. That was a designation by Jesus.

Which churches did the other apostles start? Gentile churches? Maybe I missed it.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Paul started all those churches. Paul was the apostle to the gentiles. That was a designation by Jesus.

Which churches did the other apostles start? Gentile churches? Maybe I missed it.
You're saying that these were congregations in Gentile lands. The Jews were certainly not confined to Palestine or off-limits to Christian missionaries.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
You're saying that these were congregations in Gentile lands. The Jews were certainly not confined to Palestine or off-limits to Christian missionaries.
So what you are saying is that there is a strong reason to believe because of something written in the Bible that there were a considerable number of Jewish people living in Greece and other Mediteranean countries and that these were the leaders chosen by Paul and Barnabas to be the elders of these churches. Please include the verses you are referencing

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
So what you are saying is that there is a strong reason to believe because of something written in the Bible that there were a considerable number of Jewish people living in Greece and other Mediteranean countries and that these were the leaders chosen by Paul and Barnabas to be the elders of these churches. Please include the verses you are referencing
For one thing, we know this from history. From the historical record. For another, there is absolutely no reason to presume that Paul did not evangelize among both Jews and Gentiles (in Gentile lands). There is nothing, to my knowledge, in Scripture that teaches us that Paul avoided all contact with the Jewish populations of the cities he visited throughout the Mediterranean world.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
For one thing, we know this from history. From the historical record. For another, there is absolutely no reason to presume that Paul did not evangelize among both Jews and Gentiles (in Gentile lands). There is nothing, to my knowledge, in Scripture that teaches us that Paul avoided all contact with the Jewish populations of the cities he visited throughout the Mediterranean world.
Can you share some of the historical resources that you know of. I don't see most Jewish people leaving the Holy Land on their own to move to the gentile nations of Greece and other countries, which I believe they considered pagan. Leave the promised land for pagan lands. I don't see it.

Not saying it could not have happened, but I do not see that as happening with any regularity unless they were driven out of their homeland. It was part of their culture. That land was given to them by God.

That's why I believe the other apostles primarily stayed in the Israel area. Because that is where the Jewish people were. First to the Jew, than to the Gentile.

Please note the word 'primarily'. I am not saying every, but most.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Can you share some of the historical resources that you know of. I don't see most Jewish people leaving the Holy Land on their own to move to the gentile nations of Greece and other countries, which I believe they considered pagan. Leave the promised land for pagan lands. I don't see it.
I was just checking sources, and the point is mentioned all over the place. It should take you no time at all to verify this history from an online search, but, in particular, in the case of Paul (and Barnabas). Here's just one example: "The Evangelization strategy used by the two apostles was: first address the local Jewish community. Overseas Jewish communities were scattered all over the Roman Empire. And afterwards Evangelize the Gentiles."

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I was just checking sources, and the point is mentioned all over the place. It should take you no time at all to verify this history from an online search, but, in particular, in the case of Paul (and Barnabas). Here's just one example: "The Evangelization strategy used by the two apostles was: first address the local Jewish community. Overseas Jewish communities were scattered all over the Roman Empire. And afterwards Evangelize the Gentiles."
I'll look into it over the next couple days and see if that is what I find. I'll let you know. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

Hi Albion/ToBeLoved, I just finished talking with another another Judaizer (who was also anti-Pauline) in another thread, and showed him, principally via Acts, that when St. Paul turned to the Gentiles (Acts 13:44-48, I think), he hardly turned away from the preaching/evangelizing of his own people .. ever (though he did stop preaching to the Jews .. exclusively). Acts 14 to the end of the Book is replete with examples showing that his ministry focus was to the Greeks, as well as to the Jews, throughout all three of his missionary journeys. For instance, immediately after he "turns" from the Jews in Acts 13:46, here's how Acts Chapter 14 begins:

"...they (Paul and Barnabas) entered the synagogue of the Jews together...........and they spoke in such a manner that a large number of people believed, both Jews and Greeks" Acts of the Apostles 14:1

Chapters 15 & 16 are not quite as helpful with this, but beginning again in Acts 17 we read:

Berea:

The brethren immediately sent Paul and Silas away by night to Berea, and when they arrived, they went into the synagogue of the Jews. Acts 17:10

Athens:

While Paul was waiting for them at Athens, his spirit was being provoked within him as he was observing the city full of idols.
So he was reasoning in the synagogue with the Jews and the God-fearing Gentiles, and in the market place every day with those who happened to be present." Acts 17:16–17

Corinth:
1 After these things he left Athens and went to Corinth.
2 And he found a Jew named Aquila, a native of Pontus, having recently come from Italy with his wife Priscilla, because Claudius had commanded all the Jews to leave Rome. He came to them,
3 and because he was of the same trade, he stayed with them and they were working, for by trade they were tent-makers.
4 And he was reasoning in the synagogue every Sabbath and trying to persuade Jews and Greeks.
5 But when Silas and Timothy came down from Macedonia, Paul began devoting himself completely to the word, solemnly testifying to the Jews that Jesus was the Christ. Acts 18

11 And he settled there a year and six months, teaching the word of God among them.
12 But while Gallio was proconsul of Achaia, the Jews with one accord rose up against Paul and brought him before the judgment seat,
13 saying, “This man persuades men to worship God contrary to the law.”
14 But when Paul was about to open his mouth, Gallio said to the Jews, “If it were a matter of wrong or of vicious crime, O Jews, it would be reasonable for me to put up with you;
15 but if there are questions about words and names and your own law, look after it yourselves; I am unwilling to be a judge of these matters.” Acts 18

Ephesus:

19 They came to Ephesus, and he left them there. Now he himself entered the synagogue and reasoned with the Jews. Acts 18

8 And he entered the synagogue and continued speaking out boldly for three months, reasoning and persuading them about the kingdom of God.
9 But when some were becoming hardened and disobedient, speaking evil of the Way before the people, he withdrew from them and took away the disciples, reasoning daily in the school of Tyrannus.
10 This took place for two years, so that all who lived in Asia heard the word of the Lord, both Jews and Greeks.
Acts 19

And as St. Paul clearly tells us in Romans 1: "I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek." Romans 1:16

There is much more, of course, but I hoped this helped a bit.

--David

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Matthew Twentyfour

Take up your cross daily, and follow Me. Luke 9:23
Jan 19, 2015
✟8,141.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
if you believe in the ability to lose your salvation you basically to some extent believe your salvation is dependent upon you.

Yes, that's correct. Your salvation is completely dependent upon you, your choice, your free will. You decide if you want to accept Christ as your Lord and Savior. You decide if you want to apostate from the faith and lose your salvation. God wants (desire) all of us to be saved, 1 Timothy 2:4. But notice the word "desire" in the verse. It means He wants us to decide also. We have a choice. We're given free will to decide for ourselves too. Two of the biggest reasons why we have free will is because God wants a relationship with each of us, and He wants to be loved back.

1 Timothy 2:4 who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.

Now Jesus told us what we must do in order to be save: keep My commandments.

He showed us how to keep His commandments when He comes to judge everyone in Matthew 25:31-46. Those saved have demonstrated good works by loving others: Matthew 25:34-36. Those with no work to show for are casted away into hell: Matthew 25:41-44.

Now Hannah. Read the scripture below in any translation, even in the original greek. It does not reveal we'll be judged by our belief, it's all based on works (labor of love). It's even shown in the GWT judgment in Revelation. God will also judge everyone by their works. Revelation 20:12.

Matthew 25:31-46
31 “When the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the holy angels with Him, then He will sit on the throne of His glory. 32 All the nations will be gathered before Him, and He will separate them one from another, as a shepherd divides his sheep from the goats. 33 And He will set the sheep on His right hand, but the goats on the left. 34 Then the King will say to those on His right hand, ‘Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: 35 for I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; 36 I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink? 38 When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? 39 Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’ 40 And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.’

41 “Then He will also say to those on the left hand, ‘Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels:42 for I was hungry and you gave Me no food; I was thirsty and you gave Me no drink; 43 I was a stranger and you did not take Me in, naked and you did not clothe Me, sick and in prison and you did not visit Me.’

44 “Then they also will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to You?’ 45 Then He will answer them, saying, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.’ 46 And these will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

Revelation 20:12
And I saw the dead, small and great, standing before God, and books were opened. And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. And the dead were judged according to their works, by the things which were written in the books.

John Macarthur said once, "If you could lose your salvation, you would." If we could lose our salvation by sinning, we would lose it on a daily basis. But Jesus didn't die multiple times, did He? He died once and for all... literally...

You're correct Christ died once and for all, for everyone.

You have to understand how God will judge us by our sins. Just like babies and children, we're not judge by our sins we have no knowledge of or unconsciously commit them. We'll be judged by what we know to be sin and if we willfully continue to commit those sins. Example Hebrews 10:26-30.

Hebrews 10:26-31
26 For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, 27 but a certain fearful expectation of judgment, and fiery indignation which will devour the adversaries. 28 Anyone who has rejected Moses’ law dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. 29 Of how much worse punishment, do you suppose, will he be thought worthy who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace? 30 For we know Him who said, “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,” says the Lord. And again, “The Lord will judge His people.” 31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

Notice it said "if" we willfully sin after we received the knowledge of the truth. Here Paul is telling us "if" we continue to sin that same sin after knowing it's a sin, even Christ's sacrifice on the cross will no longer cover that sin.

Christians can easily comment sins everyday without realizing it. Example of a sin everyone did not know till Christ revealed it in Matthew 5:27-28.

Matthew 5:27-28
27 “You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ 28 But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

So the next question would be "how does a Christian become righteous before God since we can unknowingly sin?" The answer is in 1 Peter 4:8. Christ told us how to love others in Matthew 25:35-36. This is your good works (labor of love).

1 Peter 4:8 And above all things have fervent love for one another, for “love will cover a multitude of sins.”

Matthew 25:35-36
35 for I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; 36 I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.’

And Christ told us how much righteousness we need in order to go to heaven. Our good deeds have to exceed people like our pastors, Matthew 5:20.

Matthew 5:20
For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven.

Do you see why good works is vital to your salvation? Why your salvation is also based on what you do? Accepting Christ as savior is only the first part. The most important part is to show you've accepted Him by doing what He said in the bible.

Christians aren't exactly saved by merely accepting Him as Lord and Savior. The way it works is something like this. You live in a world filled with desires (temptations of the flesh). You're obese and drowning in fat, ready to die. You've tried everything, all kinds of diets, exercise and gimmicks (other religions) and nothing's working. Once you accepted Christ as your savior, He becomes your personal fitness instructor. He tells you these are the steps to get back in shape, this is what you eat, this how you train, how to resist all the temptations every time you see cake, pie, pastries etc that's causing you to die in fat.

You end up doing one of two things: 1) You take His advice, doing what He told you, you begin to go through a transformation over time and eventually become a new you (born again of the spirit). Or 2) You heard His advice but do nothing. You're still the same person, nothing's changed. You're still dying. You think you're being saved but you don't feel saved or fell any difference is because He already told you what to do but you haven't done it yet. You seek advice from others and the message you get is wait on God, while God is telling you to do as He already told you how to lose weight.
Does this pattern sound familiar? See Christ's gift of salvation is His advice. The advice He gave us starts with what He told us in the bible. Do you believe what He said to be true? If so, just do it and you'll see a world of difference in your life.

You have a choice. It's conditional. He gave us free will. "If" you take My (Christ) advice, you will be saved!

if you're saved, you were elected... before God created this earth He knew you.. I don't think/believe sinning now would "stump Him" or cause you to lose your salvation simply because Jesus died approx. 2000 years ago (give or take a few)..He had you on His mind when He died for you... wouldn't it make sense if He knew every sin you commit in your life?...

Let's take the passage Aiki used about predestination in Romans 8:29-30.

It is always the heretic who is quickest to accuse others of heresy. I guess you have not read these verses:

Romans 8:29-30
29 For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren.
30 Moreover whom He predestined, these He also called; whom He called, these He also justified; and whom He justified, these He also glorified.

You have to read everything, the entire chapter to understand what Paul spoke of. Reading everything carefully, you can see Paul was describing the elects as those who by their own will decided to follow the spirit and become righteous. Notice Paul uses the word "if" numerous times. The word "if" is conditional, based on your choice, your free will. Keep in mind Paul is writing to all Christians, not believers vs non-believers.

Romans 8:1-30 NCV
1 So now, those who are in Christ Jesus are not judged guilty. 2 Through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit that brings life made you free from the law that brings sin and death. 3 The law was without power, because the law was made weak by our sinful selves. But God did what the law could not do. He sent his own Son to earth with the same human life that others use for sin. By sending his Son to be an offering for sin, God used a human life to destroy sin. 4 He did this so that we could be the kind of people the law correctly wants us to be. Now we do not live following our sinful selves, but we live following the Spirit.

5 Those who live following their sinful selves think only about things that their sinful selves want. But those who live following the Spirit are thinking about the things the Spirit wants them to do. 6 If people’s thinking is controlled by the sinful self, there is death. But if their thinking is controlled by the Spirit, there is life and peace. 7 When people’s thinking is controlled by the sinful self, they are against God, because they refuse to obey God’s law and really are not even able to obey God’s law. 8 Those people who are ruled by their sinful selves cannot please God.

9 But you are not ruled by your sinful selves. You are ruled by the Spirit, if that Spirit of God really lives in you. But the person who does not have the Spirit of Christ does not belong to Christ. 10 Your body will always be dead because of sin. But if Christ is in you, then the Spirit gives you life, because Christ made you right with God. 11 God raised Jesus from the dead, and if God’s Spirit is living in you, he will also give life to your bodies that die. God is the One who raised Christ from the dead, and he will give life through his Spirit that lives in you.

12 So, my brothers and sisters, we must not be ruled by our sinful selves or live the way our sinful selves want. 13 If you use your lives to do the wrong things your sinful selves want, you will die spiritually. But if you use the Spirit’s help to stop doing the wrong things you do with your body, you will have true life.

14 The true children of God are those who let God’s Spirit lead them. 15 The Spirit we received does not make us slaves again to fear; it makes us children of God. With that Spirit we cry out, “Father.” 16 And the Spirit himself joins with our spirits to say we are God’s children. 17 If we are God’s children, we will receive blessings from God together with Christ. But we must suffer as Christ suffered so that we will have glory as Christ has glory.

18 The sufferings we have now are nothing compared to the great glory that will be shown to us. 19 Everything God made is waiting with excitement for God to show his children’s glory completely. 20 Everything God made was changed to become useless, not by its own wish but because God wanted it and because all along there was this hope: 21 that everything God made would be set free from ruin to have the freedom and glory that belong to God’s children.

22 We know that everything God made has been waiting until now in pain, like a woman ready to give birth.23 Not only the world, but we also have been waiting with pain inside us. We have the Spirit as the first part of God’s promise. So we are waiting for God to finish making us his own children, which means our bodies will be made free. 24 We were saved, and we have this hope. If we see what we are waiting for, that is not really hope. People do not hope for something they already have. 25 But we are hoping for something we do not have yet, and we are waiting for it patiently.

26 Also, the Spirit helps us with our weakness. We do not know how to pray as we should. But the Spirit himself speaks to God for us, even begs God for us with deep feelings that words cannot explain. 27 God can see what is in people’s hearts. And he knows what is in the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit speaks to God for his people in the way God wants.

28 We know that in everything God works for the good of those who love him. They are the people he called, because that was his plan. 29 God knew them before he made the world, and he chose them to be like his Son so that Jesus would be the firstborn of many brothers and sisters. 30 God planned for them to be like his Son; and those he planned to be like his Son, he also called; and those he called, he also made right with him; and those he made right, he also glorified.

What the bible meant by those being predestined and elected are based on our own choice, our own free will to decide if we wish to follow the spirit and not the flesh. The Christians that decided to follow the spirit, God already knew who we are. Those that decided to follow the spirit are chosen to be like Christ (Romans 8:29). It means God will continue His good work in us to perfect us to be like Christ at the end because we decided to follow the spirit and not the flesh. God will only work with those who wants to be good and do righteous. He won't force His good works on those who wants to follow sin. That would be like encouraging a bad son to be worst. His good works is to encourage those wishing to be good becoming more like Jesus. This is the bible's version of elect and predestine.

Now here's the John Calvin version of elect and predestination. Notice the website I'm quoting is written by a Calvinist. So this is from their mouth.

http://www.calvinistcorner.com/tulip.htm

Unconditional Election:
God does not base His election on anything He sees in the individual. He chooses the elect according to the kind intention of His will (Eph. 1:4-8; Rom. 9:11) without any consideration of merit within the individual. Nor does God look into the future to see who would pick Him. Also, as some are elected into salvation, others are not (Rom. 9:15, 21).

This is talking about certain groups of people predestined to go to heaven while others go to hell the moment they're born. The elect goes to heaven even if they don't pick God.

This is what some Christians are telling you as being predestined. Our free will, our ability to choice and or desire to connect with God does not affect our salvation. These Christians don't have to be a Calvinist to believe this. But many have accepted this concept and they tell you "you accepted Christ, you're His elect and you're predestined for salvation no matter what you do in the future because Christ's blood is strong enough to cover all sins." This idea is not the bible, it's John Calvin's version of salvation they've accepted.

Now it is true Christ's blood can and will cover all your sins in the future but the message has been twisted by some telling you it cannot be lost regardless of your actions. His blood is good only if you continue to walk in the spirit with Him mentioned in John 15:4. If one decides to turn and continue committing the same sin, Christ's blood will not cover it as mentioned in Hebrews 10:26-31. It's also covered in Ezekiel 18:21-24. You turn away, you lose your salvation.

Ezekiel 18:21-24
21 “But if a wicked man turns from all his sins which he has committed, keeps all My statutes, and does what is lawful and right, he shall surely live; he shall not die. 22 None of the transgressions which he has committed shall be remembered against him; because of the righteousness which he has done, he shall live. 23 Do I have any pleasure at all that the wicked should die?” says the Lord God, “and not that he should turn from his ways and live?

24 “But when a righteous man turns away from his righteousness and commits iniquity, and does according to all the abominations that the wicked man does, shall he live? All the righteousness which he has done shall not be remembered; because of the unfaithfulness of which he is guilty and the sin which he has committed, because of them he shall die.

Hannah, you have to be very very careful who you listen to. Even many pastors have been lead astray by this reformed doctrine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unconditional_election

Unconditional election is a reformed doctrine relating to Predestination that describes the actions and motives of God in eternity past, before He created the world, where he predestinated some people to receive salvation, the elect, and the rest he left to continue in their sins and receive the just punishment, eternal damnation, for their transgressions of God's law as outlined in the old and new Testaments of the Bible. God made these choices according to his own purposes apart from any conditions or qualities related to those persons.[1]

The counter-view to unconditional election is conditional election, the belief that God chooses for eternal salvation those whom he foresees will have faith in Christ in part through an act of human free will.

Hannah, please ask me if you have any questions, but above all, only trust the bible.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Where is Corinth?
Or more to the point: Where did the congregation meet in Corinth?

Right next door to the synagogue.

Acts 9:20 and immediately he began to proclaim Jesus in the synagogues, saying, “He is the Son of God.”

Acts 13:5 When they reached Salamis, they began to proclaim the word of God in the synagogues of the Jews; and they also had John as their helper.

Acts 13:14 But going on from Perga, they arrived at Pisidian Antioch, and on the Sabbath day they went into the synagogue and sat down.

Acts 14:1 In Iconium they entered the synagogue of the Jews together, and spoke in such a manner that a large number of people believed, both of Jews and of Greeks.

Acts 17:1 Now when they had traveled through Amphipolis and Apollonia, they came to Thessalonica, where there was a synagogue of the Jews. 2 And according to Paul’s custom, he went to them, and for three Sabbaths reasoned with them from the Scriptures,

Acts 18:1 After these things he left Athens and went to Corinth. 2 And he found a Jew named Aquila, a native of Pontus, having recently come from Italy with his wife Priscilla, because Claudius had commanded all the Jews to leave Rome. He came to them, 3 and because he was of the same trade, he stayed with them and they were working, for by trade they were tent-makers. 4 And he was reasoning in the synagogue every Sabbath and trying to persuade Jews and Greeks. .... 7 Then he left there and went to the house of a man named Titius Justus, a worshiper of God, whose house was next to the synagogue. 8 Crispus, the leader of the synagogue, believed in the Lord with all his household, and many of the Corinthians when they heard were believing and being baptized.

Acts 19:1 It happened that while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul passed through the upper country and came to Ephesus, and found some disciples. .... 8 And he entered the synagogue and continued speaking out boldly for three months, reasoning and persuading them about the kingdom of God.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Or more to the point: Where did the congregation meet in Corinth?

Right next door to the synagogue.

Acts 9:20 and immediately he began to proclaim Jesus in the synagogues, saying, “He is the Son of God.”

Acts 13:5 When they reached Salamis, they began to proclaim the word of God in the synagogues of the Jews; and they also had John as their helper.

Acts 13:14 But going on from Perga, they arrived at Pisidian Antioch, and on the Sabbath day they went into the synagogue and sat down.

Acts 14:1 In Iconium they entered the synagogue of the Jews together, and spoke in such a manner that a large number of people believed, both of Jews and of Greeks.

Acts 17:1 Now when they had traveled through Amphipolis and Apollonia, they came to Thessalonica, where there was a synagogue of the Jews. 2 And according to Paul’s custom, he went to them, and for three Sabbaths reasoned with them from the Scriptures,

Acts 18:1 After these things he left Athens and went to Corinth. 2 And he found a Jew named Aquila, a native of Pontus, having recently come from Italy with his wife Priscilla, because Claudius had commanded all the Jews to leave Rome. He came to them, 3 and because he was of the same trade, he stayed with them and they were working, for by trade they were tent-makers. 4 And he was reasoning in the synagogue every Sabbath and trying to persuade Jews and Greeks. .... 7 Then he left there and went to the house of a man named Titius Justus, a worshiper of God, whose house was next to the synagogue. 8 Crispus, the leader of the synagogue, believed in the Lord with all his household, and many of the Corinthians when they heard were believing and being baptized.

Acts 19:1 It happened that while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul passed through the upper country and came to Ephesus, and found some disciples. .... 8 And he entered the synagogue and continued speaking out boldly for three months, reasoning and persuading them about the kingdom of God.
And.....

They were told by Christ to focus on Jews. Just because Paul spoke to Jews has nothing to do with us. That was his job. That proves nothing about the Gentiles and those churches.

Jesus and the apostles fulfilled scripture. They Jewish people had been preached to.

Last edited:
Upvote 0