If You Don't Celebrate Christmas, Why Not?

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
As I said upthread, the sins of the Pentecostals tend to be against the Spirit, because the Spirit is where their focus is - Where they're likely to be pushing the envelope.

I don't see that at all, in general. Pentecostals feel like they are on the front lines (and they are), and wish that the other disciplines would join the battle (which they won't).
Can you show me where it says in the Bible that all people are given the same gifts of the Spirit? Because my understanding is the at the Holy Spirit decides who get's which gifts, not mankind.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
In that the Bible says the gifts of the Spirit are how to identify the Church proper, the Pentecostals are right in saying the other branches are dead. The gifts naturally follow where the Spirit is.
I don't think that is how it works. Can you show me in scripture where you see this? Because I think this is wrong.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I don't think ANY discipleship is without their braggarts, not a single one. And I'll defend the Pentecostals wrt Evangelicalism - Assemblies of God sports a huge missionary outreach - Especially in South America and China.
Now we do agree on this. But again, I was trying to tell you what I hear from the other side, the Non-pentecostals and non-charismatics. And I wasn't saying that you do not evangelize, but that others feel it is less in certain churches. Less is not not at all. No one can say that. We all do our best.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
To a degree, I will agree. Different strokes. My mother requires the staid and steady conservatism of the Presbyterians. She is a fish out of water in the highly charged praise-based non-denom Evangelicals or the Spirit-based Pentecostals... She's a Covenant gal, and will die that way. But my eldest son needs that praise environment. My younger sister is leaning Pentecostal, with her advocacy of Calvary or SBA Baptist groups... And I prefer the pasture to the pens, and even the wilderness beyond the pasture. Where the Shepherd leads, I will follow (or rather, strain at the leash, barking at skwerls... It's my thing.).

But there is only ONE Body. That much of Christendom now boldly stands *for* that which the Bible calls abominations, is all the sign I need to show me that Christendom is quickly becoming the very thing it was raised up to fight against. The goes-along-gets-along homogeneity of modern Christianity is not the Gospel... This is not the light of the world. That light flickers and gutters, nearly smothered by the mundane beige of the borg..,

It is doom.
I have less issues with demoninations. As the Bible said Christ is the head of the Church, but not all the members are hands, or feet, or legs. I don't necessarily think that Christ is not having His will done through them all in different ways.

If we are all serving Christ in the way in which we have been called by the Holy Spirit, then each of us is doing what God is calling us to do. Each of our callings is different. God has a lot of sinners out there that He wants to come to Him and there are only so many of us. So I don't know that it is a bad thing.

We all have the same Lord and the same Bible if we go back to Hebrew or Greek and not depend on translations. Each of us has strengths and weaknesses so maybe someone else has a strength, like you said people more in the Spirit with the things they are doing and others in other areas.

I don't think we could all agree upon everything to be in one denomination. That may be ok. I'm not sure, but I feel like it is ok.

Upvote 0

roamer_1

Jan 12, 2016
Northwest Montana, USA
✟23,570.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't think that is how it works. Can you show me in scripture where you see this? Because I think this is wrong.

I think it self evident - Necessarily, when I see sign from a wolf on the ground, I know a wolf passed thereby. Likewise, the gifts give signs certain that the Spirit of the Living God is in that house - be it a gathering or a dwelling.

What of 1 Cor 12-14 is found in the modern church AT ALL?
Where are the apostles? Where the prophets? Miracles, Tongues?
All but literally absent.

But in my walk, I see miracles all the time. The Ruach HaKodesh moves with clarity and frequency. Shall I then abandon that which most call heretic, or that which the Spirit clearly shows to be the right path?

It is a no-brainer to me.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I think it self evident - Necessarily, when I see sign from a wolf on the ground, I know a wolf passed thereby. Likewise, the gifts give signs certain that the Spirit of the Living God is in that house - be it a gathering or a dwelling.

What of 1 Cor 12-14 is found in the modern church AT ALL?
Where are the apostles? Where the prophets? Miracles, Tongues?
All but literally absent.

But in my walk, I see miracles all the time. The Ruach HaKodesh moves with clarity and frequency. Shall I then abandon that which most call heretic, or that which the Spirit clearly shows to be the right path?

It is a no-brainer to me.
Well what Jesus says is when two or more are gathered in my name, I am there with them also.

So evidently, Jesus is attending these poor dead churches that you are talking about where all of His Beloved Children are worshipping and praising Him and reading His Word. Now how do you think Christ feels when you are calling His Churches dead?

This is exactly what I was talking about when I say those who have the gifts of the Spirit are self righteous.

Jesus said that those who are not humble and self righteous will be least in the Kingdom of God. You may want to repent and seek humility.

You proved my point perfectly.

~ peace.

Upvote 0

roamer_1

Jan 12, 2016
Northwest Montana, USA
✟23,570.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have less issues with demoninations. As the Bible said Christ is the head of the Church, but not all the members are hands, or feet, or legs. I don't necessarily think that Christ is not having His will done through them all in different ways.

Right on, and like I said, I agree to a certain degree.
But there is also the harlot, whom we are bid to come out of. She looks like a church of Yeshua, but is not. She is capable of a great deception.

How do you tell, which is which?

If we are all serving Christ in the way in which we have been called by the Holy Spirit, then each of us is doing what God is calling us to do. Each of our callings is different. God has a lot of sinners out there that He wants to come to Him and there are only so many of us. So I don't know that it is a bad thing.

Rock on! but the thing is, the harlot's deception looks right.. 'feeeeeels' right. How do you know?

We all have the same Lord and the same Bible if we go back to Hebrew or Greek and not depend on translations. Each of us has strengths and weaknesses so maybe someone else has a strength, like you said people more in the Spirit with the things they are doing and others in other areas.

Again, right to a degree. But who then are those who worked in Yeshua's name that he calls workers of lawlessness that he never knew? That is shocking, or should be.

Careful. The witch's magic is very strong and enticing.

For me, I see the people of Yeshua to have his testimony and keep YHWH's commandments. The closer to true between those two constants, the more powerful the message. And it is in those places and peoples that I see the Ruach Hakodesh moving with certainty, and in power. That is a pretty powerful bellwhether.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Right on, and like I said, I agree to a certain degree.
But there is also the harlot, whom we are bid to come out of. She looks like a church of Yeshua, but is not. She is capable of a great deception.

How do you tell, which is which?

Rock on! but the thing is, the harlot's deception looks right.. 'feeeeeels' right. How do you know?

Again, right to a degree. But who then are those who worked in Yeshua's name that he calls workers of lawlessness that he never knew? That is shocking, or should be.

Careful. The witch's magic is very strong and enticing.

For me, I see the people of Yeshua to have his testimony and keep YHWH's commandments. The closer to true between those two constants, the more powerful the message. And it is in those places and peoples that I see the Ruach Hakodesh moving with certainty, and in power. That is a pretty powerful bellwhether.
If you study God's Word and pray that the Holy Spirit will teach and lead you to truth, you will be fine. Most of the people that are lead into false theology are people that do not know God's Word. If you want to study and stay on CF, participate in good threads and always look up and research scripture you will be fine.

The witch is when people are inticed to listen to the teachings of other people over the teaching that God gives us in His Word.

The people that Jesus will say that He never knew are probably most likely those who do not pray, worship and maintain their relationship with Christ. Christ died so we could be with God again, but a lot of people don't talk to God, worship God or read His Word which are all important things in growing in Godly wisdom.

Most people that do not understand or read the Bible are the ones who are lead astray because they believe what people 'tell' them is in the Bible instead of finding out for 'themselves' what is really in the Bible. The Bible and prayer our are two key areas that keep us on the right track with God.

Upvote 0

GodB4S

Jul 21, 2015
✟10,515.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I'm only going to say that the last word balloon in the altered Peanuts cartoon you posted contains wholly anachronistic language in its Jer. 10:1-5 quote. It's highly doubtful the original Hebrew text would have contained words like "Christians" and "Christmas tree," and as I mentioned in another comment, it's far more likely the prophet was referencing Asherah poles.
The tree could be a Asherah pole but I did not see that in the verses mentioned but the word heathen was used...I do see people bringing in trees into the house and deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not. They are upright as the palm tree, but speak not...soooooo...heathen do this? Christians means Christ like...would Jesus do this? And Israel is the olive tree...we that are grafted in are wild olive trees, could God be talking to us here too? Could God be talking about poles and trees, to not be like the heathen but to be God liked?

Upvote 0

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 17, 2016
macon ga.
✟17,229.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi again James,

We happily celebrate Christmas. Not because it was Jesus' exact birthday necessarily, but because it is the chosen day (corporately) to celebrate His birth. I'd be more than happy to celebrate any day of the year. And I agree that pagan origins are not consequential; what matters is the heart of giving and thanksgiving.

But beyond that, it's just a good day to get together with family and give gifts to each other, or play some games together, or just eat a good meal. It's especially fun for the kids... Presents!!!! :)
I myself don't observe a day like Christmas or Easter it's only the tradition of men that human beings observe these days. There is no commandment in the scriptures that we should observe Christmas or Easter.

However I disagree with someone saying pagan origins don't matter when it comes to Christmas or Easter because there origins do come from pagan gods. So these days are associated with the false gods the pagans believed in. So whenever a person is speaking about false gods, these are idols which means you're speaking about Demons. The scriptures make it clear that as Christians we should have nothing to do with demons. They have nothing in common with the true God so a servant of the true God should have nothing to do with what comes from demons.

As far as getting together as a family to play games or eat a meal, why should it take some kind of special day to happen for the family to come together to play games or eat a meal. Why can't they do it simply because of the love they have for their family. I think gifts should be given simply because you love the person you give a gift to, not because of some special day.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I myself don't observe a day like Christmas or Easter it's only the tradition of men that human beings observe these days. There is no commandment in the scriptures that we should observe Christmas or Easter.
You are wrong...

1 Corinthians 5:7-8
"Clean out the old leaven so that you may be a new lump, just as you are in fact unleavened. For Christ our Passover also has been sacrificed. Therefore let us celebrate the feast"

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

However I disagree with someone saying pagan origins don't matter when it comes to Christmas or Easter because there origins do come from pagan gods. So these days are associated with the false gods the pagans believed in. So whenever a person is speaking about false gods, these are idols which means you're speaking about Demons. The scriptures make it clear that as Christians we should have nothing to do with demons. They have nothing in common with the true God so a servant of the true God should have nothing to do with what comes from demons.

As far as getting together as a family to play games or eat a meal, why should it take some kind of special day to happen for the family to come together to play games or eat a meal. Why can't they do it simply because of the love they have for their family. I think gifts should be given simply because you love the person you give a gift to, not because of some special day.

You're under no compulsion to celebrate any days on the Christian calendar, but two points I'd like to raise:

1) Just because God doesn't command something doesn't mean it's wrong. I'd encourage you to take the time to read through what Paul says in, for example, Romans 14 concerning Christian freedom on matters of days and food.

2) The "pagan origins" argument for Christmas and Easter are, to put it mildly, nonsense. I know that if one goes onto the internet there's no shortage of websites, or discussion forums, or blog posts all talking about how Christmas is based on Saturnalia, or that Easter celebrates a fertility goddess who had rabbits and eggs as her symbols.

But you should know that all those claims have no basis in fact. It's like the claim that Columbus proved the earth was round because everyone in Europe that the world was flat. Or the claim that George Washington chopped down a cherry tree and then said, "I cannot tell a lie".

In other words, people made something up, then other people repeated it, and then repeated it again, and more people came along and repeated it. And now you have people who talk about these things as though they are "common knowledge". But, from the get-go, it's all false. So no matter how many times it's been repeated, no matter how frequently you see it--it's still false.

Let's take one claim: "Easter is based on a fertility goddess whose symbols were rabbits and eggs". There should be evidence for this claim if it's true, right? We should be able to find some sort of documentation that shows that there was a goddess of fertility with rabbits and eggs and that somehow Easter should be connected, right? If there's no evidence for that, if there's no documentary evidence, no archeological evidence, if there's nothing. If it's just what some people on the internet are saying, then why believe it, right?

So let's take a deeper dive into that for a moment.

In the 7th century an Anglo-Saxon Christian monk by the name of Bede wrote a work attempting to talk about the right way to calculate the Christian Paschal Feast (what in English we usually call "Easter"). Bede undertook this work to talk about different calendars used by different people. In one section of the work he talks about the Anglo-Saxon calendar, the calendar used by his ancestors. Bede describes the twelve months of the Anglo-Saxon calendar, their names, and offers an etymology for the name of the month.

Bede's introduction tot he Anglo-Saxon calendar, taken from the Faith Wallis translation of The Reckoning of Time,

"In olden time the English people--for it did not seem fitting to me that I should speak of other nations' observance of the year and yet be silent about my own nation's--calculated their months according to the course of the moon. Hence, after the manner of the Greeks and Romans, [the months] take their name from the moon, for the moon is called mona and the month monath.

The first month, which the Latins call January, is Giuli; February is called Solmonath; March Hrethmonath; April, Eosturmonath; ...
"

So notice that Bede says that the Anglo-Saxon month that approximately corresponds with the Roman calendar month of April is called Eosturmonath. So let's skip ahead to what Bede has to say about Eosturmonath,

"Eosturmonath has a name which is now translated 'Paschal-month', and which was once called after a goddess of theirs named Eostre, in whose honour feasts were celebrated in that month. Now they designate that Paschal season by her name, calling the joys of the new rite by the time-honoured name of the old observance."

That's everything Bede tells us. There's simply nothing else besides this short paragraph.

So let's look at that closely, the Anglo-Saxons had a month called Eosturmonath, corresponding to the Roman month of April. The month was named after a goddess named Eostre, which before their conversion to Christianity the Anglo-Saxons worshiped and celebrated feasts dedicated to her in that month. But since the conversion of the Anglo-Saxons the month is now understood to be "Paschal-month", and the word "Eostre" was used not to refer to a goddess, or to any celebrations of that goddess, but instead had come to exclusively refer to the Christian celebration of Jesus' resurrection.

So there we have it, definitive proof of Easter's pagan origins, right? Wrong.

All we've established here is where the word "Easter" comes from in reference to the long and established Christian observance of a celebration of Christ's resurrection. The word "Paschal" is derived from the Greek Πάσχα (Pascha), itself a transliteration of the Hebrew word פֶּסַח (Pesach), "Passover".

That Christians honor the Pesach/Pascha/Passover in a new Christian way is ancient. St. Paul writes in 1 Corinthians 5:8,

"Let us therefore celebrate the feast, not with the old leaven, the leaven of malice and evil, but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth."

This isn't a call to observe the Passover in the old way, but in a new way--a Christian way, as the verse directly preceding this says, "For Christ, our Passover lamb, has been sacrificed."

When should Christians celebrate this feast? Well, two traditions emerged in the 2nd century, both traditions claimed to be apostolic in origin. And, initially, these two traditions co-existed without much controversy.

Eusebius of Caesarea in his Church History tells us of an episode where the Anicetus, the bishop of Rome visited Polycarp the bishop of Smyrna (probably around 160 AD). In their meeting together they basically practiced everything the same way, the one thing that differed however was that the Christians in Rome always celebrated the Paschal Feast on the first day of the week, basically the first Sunday after the Jewish Passover. Whreas in Smyrna the Christians there celebrated the Paschal Feast on the 14th of the Jewish month of Nisan.

In the next couple centuries the practice of Christians celebrating Pascha on the 14th of Nisan slowly fell out of disfavor. By the time of the Council of Nicea in 325 AD it was basically non-existent. But there still wasn't a a universal standard of when Christians should celebrate the Paschal Feast. So while the Council of Nicea met to chiefly address the Arian controversy over the nature of Christ, one of the side-issues it addressed was to create a standardized way to calculate the Paschal Feast so regardless of where Christians worshiped, they still be celebrating at the same time of the year. The computus, or way to calculate the Paschal Feast which Nicea presented is still what virtually all churches today still use.

So when Bede talks about the Anglo-Saxons calling the Paschal Feast "Easter", what he is saying is that the name of the month, essentially, became a local way for the Christian Anglo-Saxons to speak of the Paschal Feast. It would, as though, we called the Paschal Feast "April", calling it by the time of the year--the calendar month name. The Germans (or some Germans) likely were influenced by the Anglo-Saxons; as the German name for the Paschal Feast most familiar is Ostern, but historically and in some dialects, it is e.g. Paisken, similar to how in Dutch it is Pasen or Frisian Peaske, because the most common names for the Feast are directly taken from Greek Pascha.

What about eggs and bunnies? Well, nothing.
What about other ancient documents or material evidence from archeology? Nothing there either.

Bede is literally the only source. Let me repeat that: Bede is the ONLY SOURCE we have. Everything else about a goddess named Eostre you have read about or heard anyone mention about is either made up or, at best, an educated guess.

And when I say Bede is the only source, I mean we don't have any corroborating evidence that anybody, at any time, ever worshiped a goddess named "Eostre". There is no Eostre mentioned in any myths or stories of Germanic mythology. Literally nothing exists outside of Bede's small paragraph quoted above.

This fact has led a lot of scholars to challenge Bede's account, that perhaps Bede is actually wrong about the etymology. And have offered alternative conjectures, such as that Eosturmonath probably means "Dawn-month", that "Eostur" isn't a goddess at all, but a reference to the sun rising earlier in the morning in the East. While other scholars disagree, and think Bede's account is basically accurate, we still are at a complete loss for any information or evidence to corroborate or give us additional information.

Claiming fertility rituals, or bunnies and eggs as symbols for a pagan goddess aren't based in evidence. They are made up.

And like I said at the beginning, this is just one example of the "pagan origins" claims being false. The same is true also when we look at things like Christmas, and even Halloween. Yes, even Halloween. Halloween doesn't have any pagan origins either--that is also made up.

-CryptoLutheran

• Informative
Reactions: JSRG
Upvote 0

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 17, 2016
macon ga.
✟17,229.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
ViaCrucis said,
Just because God doesn't command something doesn't mean it's wrong. I'd encourage you to take the time to read through what Paul says in, for example, Romans 14 concerning Christian freedom on matters of days and food.[/QUOTE\]

When traditions of men, which are what the celebration of Christmas and Easter are, become more important than what God's inspired word says, then what tradition of men say is always wrong, not God's inspired word. Why do I say that? Because Jesus Christ himself gave the day and way to remember him, it's called the memorial of Jesus Christ. It has to do with his death, not birth. That day and way that Jesus says how he wants you to remember him should be the most important day in a Christians life, because it's the day and way Jesus said to remember him, not Christmas or Easter. But when it comes to Christmas and Easter these days that do come from traditions of men, have become more important to the majority of those in Christendom than the day and way Jesus himself says to remember him. The days of Christmas and Easter come with much celebration and are so much more popular than any other day. When a person asks those who are Christians what of the most important days associated with Jesus the majority say, Christmas and Easter not the memorial of Jesus Christ death.

Upvote 0

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 17, 2016
macon ga.
✟17,229.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You are wrong...

1 Corinthians 5:7-8
"Clean out the old leaven so that you may be a new lump, just as you are in fact unleavened. For Christ our Passover also has been sacrificed. Therefore let us celebrate the feast"
I'm not wrong, there's nothing in these scriptures that teaches people or commands people to observe Easter. Paul was comparing the pure unblemished life course of Christians to observing the Festival of unleavened Bread.(1Corinthians 5:7-8) So Paul wasn't telling people to observe one day of the year such as Easter, he was telling christians that their life course as Christians they are to continue keeping what is leaven(sin) out of their life's and that those taking the lead in the congregation (Elders) are to make sure that the congregation remains clean and that if any Christian is following a sinful course and are unrepentant, they are to remove from the congregation the one who continues to follow that sinful unrepentant course so that the congregation is without sin(leaven) but instead is clean(unleavened) in God's eyes.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I'm not wrong, there's nothing in these scriptures that teaches people or commands people to observe Easter. Paul was comparing the pure unblemished life course of Christians to observing the Festival of unleavened Bread.(1Corinthians 5:7-8) So Paul wasn't telling people to observe one day of the year such as Easter, he was telling christians that their life course as Christians they are to continue keeping what is leaven(sin) out of their life's and that those taking the lead in the congregation (Elders) are to make sure that the congregation remains clean and that if any Christian is following a sinful course and are unrepentant, they are to remove from the congregation the one who continues to follow that sinful unrepentant course so that the congregation is without sin(leaven) but instead is clean(unleavened) in God's eyes.
Yes, you are wrong. It is quite clear that he says THEREFORE LET US CELEBRATE (KEEP) THE FEAST. Pascha, as well as Pentecost, has been kept from the beginning of the Church (directly linked to Pesakh and Shavuot). You obviously do not know Church history.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The birth of Jesus did not have pagan origins. But there have been pagan origins, since then, of how people have celebrated Jesus Christ's birth.

But there have been Christian ways of celebrating the birth of Jesus. People came to see Him and worship Him. People brought Him gifts. Such celebration has not been pagan.

Jesus came in the flesh in order to save us from our sins. So, we celebrate this by being saved from our sins. This works well when God corrects our character so we stop sinning however He succeeds in this.

And love the way we can love, instead. As we so fulfill the purpose of Jesus being born here, we celebrate His birth. God so celebrates, with us.

There are Christmas gifts that bless us on and on all through the year and years after. And all we give to Jesus is used by God even for eternity, I would say.

If we give ourselves to Him, how will we turn out . . . for eternity? And in this life, how do we turn out because we have given our wills to Him, for Him to live in our wills?

"for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure." (Philippians 2:13)

Jesus was in Mary's womb, because she obeyed God. And she and Joseph and others celebrated His birth, including in the temple where the old man and old women were so glad to see Him.

And now ones of us have obeyed so we have Jesus in our hearts and wills. He was in Mary's womb . . . for a while . . . and now in our hearts, for longer than He was in Mary's womb.

So, we can celebrate constantly how Jesus has been born in our hearts and wills.

The Bible tells us plenty about how to celebrate Jesus coming to live in us > we do this as His family, including what Colossians 3:1-15 says to do.

Reactions: YorkieGal
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
It's just another day on this pointless planet

How do you reckon that it's just another day, and that this planet is pointless?

This world is God's good creation. And having days dedicated to drawing our attention to Christ and our redemption in Him are good for us.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

nightmares

Jul 20, 2023
London
✟16,915.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
How do you reckon that it's just another day, and that this planet is pointless?

This world is God's good creation. And having days dedicated to drawing our attention to Christ and our redemption in Him are good for us.

-CryptoLutheran

Oh sure from God's viewpoint there's a reason

But from a human viewpoint what exactly is gained by the endless struggle for money food and drink

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
ViaCrucis said,
Just because God doesn't command something doesn't mean it's wrong. I'd encourage you to take the time to read through what Paul says in, for example, Romans 14 concerning Christian freedom on matters of days and food.[/QUOTE\]

When traditions of men, which are what the celebration of Christmas and Easter are, become more important than what God's inspired word says, then what tradition of men say is always wrong, not God's inspired word. Why do I say that? Because Jesus Christ himself gave the day and way to remember him, it's called the memorial of Jesus Christ.

Your claim that Jesus gave a day called "the memorial of Jesus Christ" isn't found in the Bible. It sounds like you're confusing the Lord's Supper with a day of observance. But the Lord's Supper isn't a day, it's a sacred means of grace (aka a Sacrament). Scripture teaches that whenever we come together to partake of the Supper of bread and wine we partake of Christ's body and blood (1 Corinthians 10:16) and proclaim His death until He comes (1 Corinthians 11:26).

It has to do with his death, not birth. That day and way that Jesus says how he wants you to remember him should be the most important day in a Christians life, because it's the day and way Jesus said to remember him, not Christmas or Easter.

Again, it sounds like you're talking about the Lord's Supper, which is not a "memorial day", but a a sacred means of grace by which we receive and partake of the body and blood of Jesus Christ. This we do for the anamnesis of Him. Anamnesis is not a "memorial", the idea of remembrance here isn't memorialistic, but is embedded in the Jewish understanding of remembrance. Anamnesis is a drawing of the past into the present.

So, for example, when our Jewish neighbors gather together on Passover for the Seder meal they are not having a memorial of their redemption from slavery from Egypt; but rather as in some forms of the Haggadah the opening words said are Avadim Hayinu, "We were slaves". Jewish identity is not merely that one is descended from a people freed from Pharaoh, but that one is of the free people, redeemed from slavery.

In Christ, our Paschal Lamb, the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world; we are not merely eating and drinking to have little memorial of His death. We are partaking of His sacrifice (1 Corinthians 10:18), for His body broken for us, and His blood shed for us on Golgotha is received and partaken here in the elements of bread and wine means we partake also of His sacrifice. In this we proclaim His death--His atoning death and victory by His death over and against sin and death itself (by His resurrection)--until He comes again.

Thus this Supper, this Thanksgiving (Eucharist), is not a memorial, but a means of grace, a sacred act and activity from God by which He gives us, through the tangible elements of bread and wine the precious realities of what these things indicate: Christ's body and blood, His sacrifice, and the precious benefits of all that was accomplished. It is not mere bread or mere wine; but indeed Christ Himself bodily present in, with, and through the bread and wine, for us.

So if your argument is that we can't celebrate Christmas and Pascha/Easter because it takes away from the Lord's Supper, that's an obviously and demonstrably false charge.

But when it comes to Christmas and Easter these days that do come from traditions of men, have become more important to the majority of those in Christendom than the day and way Jesus himself says to remember him. The days of Christmas and Easter come with much celebration and are so much more popular than any other day. When a person asks those who are Christians what of the most important days associated with Jesus the majority say, Christmas and Easter not the memorial of Jesus Christ death.

Again, the Lord's Supper is not a memorial day. Jesus never gave us a day to memorialize Him. He gave us bread and wine, declared they are His body and blood, and said that when we eat and drink we do it for the anamnesis of Him.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0