if you are not saved does god answer your prayers?

baptistgirl21

Nov 16, 2013
✟25,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I have asked something similar to this but I can't find it on my page so I need to ask once more. ok so if someone isn't saved has faith and also follows the bible and wants to know more about god and do things for god will he answer their prayers? I want to know what you think because I think if a sinner tries their best to follow god and listen to god then he will answer their prayers but if their rebellious and doesn't want anything to do with god and all the sudden prays then he won't answer their prayers because why would god want to listen to you if you don't even want to listen to him? it's crazy. plus their were people in the bible who were not saved and god answered their prayers. corneilious (I did not spell that right) is an example. he didn't get saved until peter preached to him. so anyways, what do you think?

Skala

I'm a Saint. Not because of me, but because of Him
Mar 15, 2011
✟27,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I have asked something similar to this but I can't find it on my page so I need to ask once more. ok so if someone isn't saved has faith and also follows the bible and wants to know more about god and do things for god will he answer their prayers? I want to know what you think because I think if a sinner tries their best to follow god and listen to god then he will answer their prayers but if their rebellious and doesn't want anything to do with god and all the sudden prays then he won't answer their prayers because why would god want to listen to you if you don't even want to listen to him? it's crazy. plus their were people in the bible who were not saved and god answered their prayers. corneilious (I did not spell that right) is an example. he didn't get saved until peter preached to him. so anyways, what do you think?

What makes you think Cornelius wasn't saved?

The Bible clearly says he was devout and feared God, before Peter met him. It sounds like Cornelius was regenerate.

Upvote 0

Avid

A Pilgrim and a Sojourner...
Sep 21, 2013
✟13,263.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I have asked something similar to this but I can't find it on my page so I need to ask once more. ok so if someone isn't saved has faith and also follows the bible and wants to know more about god and do things for god will he answer their prayers?
As was stated when this was asked before, God usually answers a prayer for mercy. If a sinner, who is interested in knowing more about God, asks to have the truth revealed to his heart, God likely would honor that as a prayer for mercy. Mercy can be extended as preventing destruction or damage, and it can be extended by giving knowledge and understanding. We are getting close to describing an extension of God's grace in that circumstance.

... I want to know what you think because I think if a sinner tries their best to follow god and listen to god then he will answer their prayers but if their rebellious and doesn't want anything to do with god and all the sudden prays then he won't answer their prayers because why would god want to listen to you if you don't even want to listen to him? it's crazy...
The confusion you are experiencing derives from a need to understand God, and to understand the word of God. You may correct this by doing exactly as suggested above. Do some reading in scripture, and ask God for understanding. I would suggest a specific formula, and do this as often and as long as your schedule allows.

If getting up early is good for you, your mind will be rested, and you may read for an hour or more. Also, things are generally quieter before everyone else wakes, and you are less likely to be interrupted. Read the following way, and pray to the LORD that He will help you with understanding.

If you are serious about this, get a King James Bible, and read the Gospel According to John the Apostle - all the way through - a number of times. Anyone seeking to be saved from self and sin should strive to know the LORD, and understand Him. Next, read all four Gospels through a number of times (Matthew, Mark, Luke & John.) As you learn about the LORD, and why you should trust Him, you will see these things for yourself. Next read the whole New Testament through a number of times. After doing this, read the Epistle of the Apostle Paul to the Ephesians a few times over. Then choose another of Paul's epistles, and do that.

It is vital for each of us to gain the understanding that only God can give us, and pray He would send His Holy Spirit to aid and guide us in seeking this understanding.

... plus their were people in the bible who were not saved and god answered their prayers. corneilious (I did not spell that right) is an example. he didn't get saved until peter preached to him. so anyways, what do you think?
Good example of what I was saying in my first section of this answer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Here's the scripture on the subject:

John 9:31 New International Version (NIV)

31 We know that God does not listen to sinners. He listens to the godly person who does his will.

And what is God's will?

John 6:29 Jesus answered, “The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent.”

John 15:13-14 New International Version (NIV)

13 Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. 14 You are my friends if you do what I command.

Upvote 0

baptistgirl21

Nov 16, 2013
✟25,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
What makes you think Cornelius wasn't saved?

The Bible clearly says he was devout and feared God, before Peter met him. It sounds like Cornelius was regenerate.

he was devout but he wasn't saved yet. acts 11:13-14 " and he told us how he had seen the angel stand in his house and say 'send men to Joppa and bring simon who is called peter; he will declare to you a message by which you will be saved, you and all your household".

that proves that Cornelius wasn't saved before he was preached to. ^_^

Upvote 0

Skala

I'm a Saint. Not because of me, but because of Him
Mar 15, 2011
✟27,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
he was devout but he wasn't saved yet. acts 11:13-14 " and he told us how he had seen the angel stand in his house and say 'send men to Joppa and bring simon who is called peter; he will declare to you a message by which you will be saved, you and all your household".

that proves that Cornelius wasn't saved before he was preached to. ^_^

But what does the verse mean by "saved" in that particular verse?

The word "saved" has several means, and it is a mistake to always assume it is referring to our legal justification and standing before God.

For example:

1 Tim 2:15 Yet she will be saved through childbearing

This verse is not saying that if you give birth to a child you will be suddenly saved in the soteriological sense.

more info on the many meanings of the word 'saved' in the bible:
Bible Food for Hungry Christians

To reiterate my argument, I think it is plain that Cornelius was born again and justified before Peter ever visited him. I know this because he could not have done anything pleasing to the Lord without being so, such as being devout and fearing God.

Upvote 0

MWood

Jan 7, 2013
✟122,541.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Before God will hear your prayer, you have to believe with your heart that Jesus is the Son of God, and you also have to believe with your heart in His death, burial, and resurrection.

For Jesus said...no one comes to the Father except by me. Then God will hear your prayers.

Reading and studying the Bible without believing in Jesus is no better than reading and studying a dictionary. From both you gain knowledge but you wont get your prayers answered.

Upvote 0