Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't think anyone thinks that's what Christians can or should be, or are doing. However, I think they're raised more often as objections to hardline Gen 1 literalists who are distinctly non-literal when it comes to outright explicit commands. And the point is usually missed, as seen here.
Bible doctrine, whether basic or advanced, has checks and balances.

For instance, interpreting the Bible literally is balanced by Dispensation Theology.

That's why you don't have Christians out there today sacrificing lambs and goats.

Another BIG check and balance is context.

That's why you won't see Christians out there demanding the genocide of whole races of people.

Another one is knowing the right literary device to apply to a passage of Scripture.

That's why you don't see us preaching and teaching flat earth or geocentrism today.

Another one is the proper definition of terms.

That's why you don't see us out there engaged in witch hunting.

A mature student of the Word will understand and apply these checks and balances.

Atheists won't understand this --- and will blend them all together --- and end up confused as to why Christians walk and talk the way they do.

Upvote 0

Cabal

Jul 22, 2007
London
✟30,012.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

For instance, interpreting the Bible literally is balanced by Dispensation Theology.

That's why you don't have Christians out there today sacrificing lambs and goats.

That's why you won't see Christians out there demanding the genocide of whole races of people.

Another one is knowing the right literary device to apply to a passage of Scripture.

That's why you don't see us preaching and teaching flat earth or geocentrism today.

A mature student of the Word will understand and apply these checks and balances.

I agree - to a point.

So instead of dancing the usual witchhunt tango in the other thread earlier, why didn't you just point these things out?

More to the point - how is it that all these workarounds can be conveniently inserted to all these points, and yet if anyone even hints that Genesis 1 may be non-literal then they get denounced?

Upvote 0

Hespera

Dec 16, 2008
usa
✟8,850.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private

Would it be possible to identify a Christian sect that does not believe that it has the correct / mature / right literary / balanced / etc interpretation of the bible?

Just curious here.... do you ever engage with say a 7th day adventist or a mormon about who got it right?

Seriously, if there is a rational technique for figuring who has it right, i truly would like to hear it. No snarko here.

Upvote 0

Jester4kicks

Warning - The following may cause you to think
Nov 13, 2007
✟17,459.00
Faith
Taoist
Marital Status
Single

Atheists won't understand this --- and will blend them all together --- and end up confused as to why Christians walk and talk the way they do.

No... we get it. The word of god is absolute... unless it is unpopular or absolutely contradicted by reality. In which case, the word of god is subject to interpretation. In which case, only certain people know how to apply the interpretation correctly, and their interpretation is correct... unless THAT interpretation becomes unpopular or absolutely contradicted by reality.

It's a good system. :doh:^_^

Upvote 0

Hespera

Dec 16, 2008
usa
✟8,850.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
No... we get it. The word of god is absolute... unless it is unpopular or absolutely contradicted by reality. In which case, the word of god is subject to interpretation. In which case, only certain people know how to apply the interpretation correctly, and their interpretation is correct... unless THAT interpretation becomes unpopular or absolutely contradicted by reality.

It's a good system. :doh:^_^

The part that is hard to understand is just where the integrity in the system is.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,959.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Would it be possible to identify a Christian sect that does not believe that it has the correct / mature / right literary / balanced / etc interpretation of the bible?
No comment.
Just curious here.... do you ever engage with say a 7th day adventist or a mormon about who got it right?
Yes --- but not here.
Seriously, if there is a rational technique for figuring who has it right, i truly would like to hear it. No snarko here.
I just gave you four of them:

1. Dispensation Theology
  2. Context
  3. Literary Device
  4. Proper Definitions

Upvote 0

Hespera

Dec 16, 2008
usa
✟8,850.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
No comment.Yes --- but not here.I just gave you four of them:

1. Dispensation Theology
  2. Context
  3. Literary Device
  4. Proper Definitions

I guess its kind of cheap to just say "you made my case" but it seems like you did and there is nothing to add.

Upvote 0

suzybeezy

Reports Manager
Nov 1, 2004
USA
✟82,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
ADMIN HAT ON

Final notice - this thread has dertailed from the original topic and is turning into a flame-fest. Get the tread back on topic (see original post in case you forgot what the topic even was) and cease all the flaming comments to each other or it will be closed.

ADMIN HAT OFF

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TheBear

NON-WOKED
Jan 2, 2002
✟296,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Considering more people care about American Idol than the repair/upgrade of the Hubble Space Telescope your statement is 100% true. The literal fundamentalist movement and entertainment industry is going to create an America that would be years behind the rest of the world in scientific achievements.

I've been watching the Atlantis crew work on the NASA channel all day!:clap:
I've been watching the mission as well. Haven't had time to watch all the mission, but watched as they successfully grappled Hubble, their first EVA, (well, that one I caught from when they were replacing a latch on one of the Hubble access panels), and I just finished watching today's mission. This will be the last mission to Hubble. I hope we get many more good years out of it.

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Anyone come up with that list of definitively unambiguous Bible predictions that are unarguably scientifically accurate yet?
Genesis 6-9 springs to mind. A global flood? All modern life descended by a handful of individuals collected from across the globe? Good Lord.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Don't let any lack of knowledge on any given topic stop you though.

I wear my ignorance like a badge! :D

It's our faith they need to see --- not our knowledge.
:)

Matthew 21:21 Answering the Jesus said to them "verily I am saying to ye, if ever ye may be having Faith and no ye may be doubting, not only the of the fig-tree ye shall be doing, but even-ever to this the Mountain, ye may saying 'be being lifted up! and be being cast! into the Sea' it shall be becoming" [Revelation 8:8]

Reve 8:8 And the second Messenger trumpets and as-like a Mountain, great to fire burning, was cast into the Sea and became the third of the Sea blood [Matthew 21:21/Hebrew 12:18]

Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums