1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you are a creationist.

Discussion in 'Creation & Evolution' started by consol, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Philothei

Philothei Love never fails

Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    Mod hat on:

Stay on topic please. Do not flame other members or the thread will be closed.

Mod hat off

2. Hespera

Hespera Junior Member

Faith:
    Buddhist
    deleted for possible thread irrelevance

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  3. AV1611VET

AV1611VET SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bible doctrine, whether basic or advanced, has checks and balances.

For instance, interpreting the Bible literally is balanced by Dispensation Theology.

That's why you don't have Christians out there today sacrificing lambs and goats.

Another BIG check and balance is context.

That's why you won't see Christians out there demanding the genocide of whole races of people.

Another one is knowing the right literary device to apply to a passage of Scripture.

That's why you don't see us preaching and teaching flat earth or geocentrism today.

Another one is the proper definition of terms.

That's why you don't see us out there engaged in witch hunting.

A mature student of the Word will understand and apply these checks and balances.

Atheists won't understand this --- and will blend them all together --- and end up confused as to why Christians walk and talk the way they do.

4. Cabal

Cabal New Member

Faith:
    Atheist
    I agree - to a point.

So instead of dancing the usual witchhunt tango in the other thread earlier, why didn't you just point these things out?

More to the point - how is it that all these workarounds can be conveniently inserted to all these points, and yet if anyone even hints that Genesis 1 may be non-literal then they get denounced?

5. Hespera

Hespera Junior Member

Faith:
    Buddhist

Would it be possible to identify a Christian sect that does not believe that it has the correct / mature / right literary / balanced / etc interpretation of the bible?

Just curious here.... do you ever engage with say a 7th day adventist or a mormon about who got it right?

Seriously, if there is a rational technique for figuring who has it right, i truly would like to hear it. No snarko here.

6. Jester4kicks

Jester4kicks Warning - The following may cause you to think

Faith:
    Taoist
    No... we get it. The word of god is absolute... unless it is unpopular or absolutely contradicted by reality. In which case, the word of god is subject to interpretation. In which case, only certain people know how to apply the interpretation correctly, and their interpretation is correct... unless THAT interpretation becomes unpopular or absolutely contradicted by reality.

It's a good system. :doh:^_^

7. Hespera

Hespera Junior Member

Faith:
    Buddhist

The part that is hard to understand is just where the integrity in the system is.

8. AV1611VET

AV1611VET SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No comment.
    Yes --- but not here.
    I just gave you four of them:

1. Dispensation Theology
    2. Context
    3. Literary Device
    4. Proper Definitions

9. Hespera

Hespera Junior Member

Faith:
    Buddhist

I guess its kind of cheap to just say "you made my case" but it seems like you did and there is nothing to add.

10. suzybeezy

suzybeezy Reports Manager Supporter

Faith:
    Christian
    ADMIN HAT ON

Final notice - this thread has dertailed from the original topic and is turning into a flame-fest. Get the tread back on topic (see original post in case you forgot what the topic even was) and cease all the flaming comments to each other or it will be closed.

ADMIN HAT OFF

11. TheBear

TheBear Free Agent

Faith:
    Atheist
    I've been watching the mission as well. Haven't had time to watch all the mission, but watched as they successfully grappled Hubble, their first EVA, (well, that one I caught from when they were replacing a latch on one of the Hubble access panels), and I just finished watching today's mission. This will be the last mission to Hubble. I hope we get many more good years out of it.

12. TheBear

TheBear Free Agent

Faith:
    Atheist
    Actually, the societal interest in idols and celebrities is a worldwide phenomenon. Walk into any bookstore worldwide, and you'll see for yourself.

13. LightHorseman

LightHorseman New Member Supporter

Faith:
    Catholic
    Anyone come up with that list of definitively unambiguous Bible predictions that are unarguably scientifically accurate yet?

14. Wiccan_Child

Wiccan_Child Contributor

Faith:
    Atheist
    Genesis 6-9 springs to mind. A global flood? All modern life descended by a handful of individuals collected from across the globe? Good Lord.

15. NewUser123

NewUser123 New Member

:)

Matthew 21:21 Answering the Jesus said to them "verily I am saying to ye, if ever ye may be having Faith and no ye may be doubting, not only the of the fig-tree ye shall be doing, but even-ever to this the Mountain, ye may saying 'be being lifted up! and be being cast! into the Sea' it shall be becoming" [Revelation 8:8]

Reve 8:8 And the second Messenger trumpets and as-like a Mountain, great to fire burning, was cast into the Sea and became the third of the Sea blood [Matthew 21:21/Hebrew 12:18]

AV1611VET likes this.