London
✟30,012.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Because Americans are becoming entertainment junkies instead of taking an interest in modern science.

This discussion reminds me somewhat of people not giving a rat's backside about the Apollo 13 mission until it went wrong.

Nevermind that a frackin' LUNAR MISSION was planned.

Upvote 0

Cabal

Jul 22, 2007
London
✟30,012.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Okay if I remind you what BS said?

I don't see how that relates to what else one COULD derive from watching the mission, but knock yourself out.

Now, all of a sudden, the Hubble is the Lord's creation?

Well, that wasn't quite what I meant, but on reflection, the Earth is His, and everything in it. I'm assuming that includes the works of man.

I thought you said us scientists took credit too often? Which do you want?

I don't think he said he was watching space --- he said he was watching the Atlantis repairing the Hubble.

Right. Which is also in space. Which is awe-inspiring. Involving a machine that has taken some awe-inspiring shots.

I'm sure you could derive a lot more about God from watching that than watching some pop "music".

Upvote 0

Cabal

Jul 22, 2007
London
✟30,012.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Can't we take a break after giving you guys computers, the telephone, the light bulb, the telegraph, the phonograph, flight, and who knows what all else?

I'm sure you'll manage, you seem to have quite a lot of energy to spend disparaging science.

Upvote 0

Cabal

Jul 22, 2007
London
✟30,012.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I believe BS said they were up there "repairing" something, did he not?

Or am I wrong?

BS may have said that, but from what I've read I'm under the impression this is more about upgrading the telescope.

And it's hardly broken given that they're still giving it upgrades even after all this time, as it's still sending back useful data.

Upvote 0

Cabal

Jul 22, 2007
London
✟30,012.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Ya --- and they threw a fit because an episode of Lost in Space was pre-empted to show it too.

(If I remember the story correctly.)

What's your point?

Pre-empted to show what?

My point - this brand of philistinism is nothing new, and it's as stupid as it's always been.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cabal

Jul 22, 2007
London
✟30,012.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
For the record, I don't watch Americal Idol.

And equally for the record, I believe if you guys ran the entertainment industry --- specifically the TV industry --- there would only be one channel: Animal Planet.

Thank the Lord. Stick to the good British exports like the KJV.

Not sure I see the point in the entertainment snipe - scientists have all the fun :D

Upvote 0

Cabal

Jul 22, 2007
London
✟30,012.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Well, I get the impression you guys are whining because you're up there and not "literal fundamentalists".

Whatever --- this conversation is starting to stale.

Indeed, if this is the best attempt you can come up with to justify yet more insistent grinding of your anti-science axe.

Upvote 0

Cabal

Jul 22, 2007
London
✟30,012.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
You know --- since we're all animals --- Animal Planet --- get it?

Eh, still gonna need some of that Music Television.

ETA: Oho, just noticed the "allegedly" creep in - but you shouldn't have, AV, it really wasn't necessary.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Thomas Anderson

Apr 21, 2009
✟7,737.00
Faith
Pentecostal
God as Tautology, again. How very intellectually dissatisfying. Oh well, if such a definition for God is sufficient for you... go with it.

I wasn't going to be back but it seems atom weaver has called me out. He probably wont even read this. He seems to enter a thread in its middle, clueless to what is said in prior posts, and just fizzes a response to the most recent post. Tautology you might call it. But with my experience I know different.

John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

I do not think there is a christian alive who does not remember the day or even the hour when they were baptized in the Holy Spirit. Its life changing and powerful and happens within your own spirit. Only if you experience it do you know for sure.You will always wonder or doubt it if it hasn't happened to you. It would be senseless for me to try and explain it but I know it happened to me and its not something you can fake are pretend ....it is simply real...unforgetably real. And at those times when you are filled with God's Spirit, you are unshakable, unmoveable in your faith , THERE IS NOTHING that can cast a doubt your way , NOTHING. All you want to do is know more about Jesus, His Word and be in His presence. In a sense, so heavenly minded your no earthly good. This I have experienced many times and in everything I experienced in life prior to being a Christian, nothing compares to this, not even close. You can however grieve the Spirit which I have been guilty of often. Like I have said before, I know what it is like to be full of God's Spirit only because I know what it is like to be empty. So if you prefer to call it tautology...go with it. These verses explain why you wont understand where I am coming from .

John 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

1 Corinthians 2:9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.
10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.
11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.
12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned

1 John 2:18 Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time.

1 John 2:20 But ye have an unction [NKJV: anointing] from the Holy One, and ye know all things.

You are a liar. Atheists do not believe that. But I guess it is to be expected from a person who practices cannibalism. Its no surprise that you cannot discern the random aspects of evolution from the deterministic ones. Your failures at applying science correctly are a matter of record here, and they are quite spectacular failures, at that.

Liar is a pretty strong word there atom weaver. I draw my conclusions from a number of things. If you think they are wrong, then that makes me a liar? Maybe this helps better explain my belief of an atheist. And I am still learning what they believe.

1. Nothing produces everything
2. Non-life produces life
3. Randomness produces fine tuning
4. Chaos produces information
5. Unconsciousness produces conscious
6. Nonreason produces reason

Does that make more sense?????????????????

Just because mutations are random, doesn't mean that everything is meaningless. Once again, you fail so massively because you compare evolution to your religion, thinking that advocates for evolution treat the theory as a basis for their morality, only because you derive your morality from your religious beliefs... what utter stupidity. The theory of evolution is a scientific theory which explains the diversification of species, and nothing more. Get this through your skull; just like every other scientific theory, the theory of evolution is not a moral code. Pretending like it is, is a lie.

Its still only a theory and I dont come to the same conclusions you will because I know there is a God.As typical with you getting only a couple posts in a thread you quite often miss some. I also had these quotes that helped me draw conclusions to what an atheists is like.

“If the solar system was brought about by an accidental collision, then the appearance of organic life on this planet was also an accident, and the whole evolution of Man was an accident too. If so, then all our present thoughts are mere accidents- the accidental by-product of the movement of atoms. And this holds for the thoughts of the materialists and astronomers as well as for anyone else’s. But if their thoughts—i.e., Materialism and Astronomy---are mere accidental by products, why should we believe them to be true? I see no reason for believing that one accident should be able to give a correct account of all the other accidents. It’s like expecting the accidental shape taken by the splash when you upset a milk-jug should give you a correct account of how the jug was made and why it was upset. C.S.Lewis.

“If there is no God, then all that exists is time and chance acting on matter. If this is true then the difference between your thoughts and mine correspond to the difference between shaking up a bottle of Mountain Dew and a bottle of Dr. Pepper. You simply fizz atheistically and I fizz theistically. This means that you do not hold to atheism because it is true , but rather because of a series of chemical reactions….Morality, tragedy, and sorrow are equally evanescent. They are all empty sensations created by the chemical reactions of the brain, in turn created by too much pizza the night before. If there is no God, then all abstractions are chemical epiphenomena, like swamp gas over fetid water. This means that we have no reason for assigning truth and falsity to the chemical fizz we call reasoning or right and wrong to the irrational reaction we call morality. If no God, mankind is a set of bi-pedal carbon units of mostly water. And nothing else.” Douglas Wilson.

Still, even the most admirable atheists is nothing more than a moral parasite, living his life based on borrowed ethics. This is why, when pressed, the atheists will often attempt to hide his lack of conviction in his own beliefs behind some poorly formulated utilitarianism, or argue that he acts out of altruistic self-interest. But this is so post-facto rationalization, not reason or rational behavior. Vox Day

How can a person accept anything from a liar like you, who won't speak with honesty about what others believe?

What got you so angry? Was it my statement that your missing link will ALWAYS be missing? Read again what your wrote here..." speak with honesty about what others believe?" like you are with what christians believe I guess.I was going to throw in a number of your old posts in relation to what you think christians believe, but I didn't. You know what they are. I wont call you a liar though. You have just come to the wrong conclusions about us as maybe some have with you. Do I dare say hypocrite?

Upvote 0