If we can lose salvation, we better be sure we know how to re-capture salvation before perishing-

bottomofsandal

Mar 10, 2012
America
✟11,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
How does one recapture, restore, and regain "lost" salvation?

What are the protocols and procedures for getting salvation back?

Re-regenerate, Re-baptize, Re-dedicate, repair, renew...what exactly needs to happen?

How often should one expect this to happen? Is this constantly happening like a revolving door?

How does this restoration process occur and what are the Biblical passages that support this belief?

Reactions: ToBeLoved

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Re-regenerate, Re-baptize, Re-dedicate, repair, renew...what exactly needs to happen?

How often should one expect this to happen? Is this constantly happening like a revolving door?

How does this restoration process occur and what are the Biblical passages that support this belief?

Read what Jesus Himself tells the churches in Revelation, chapters 2 and 3. And by the way, His churches do not mean the unsaved, as one is so fond of saying on this forum.

Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

First of all, if you were once saved, then repentance is in 1 John 1:9. If you were not saved, then John 14:6, John 3:16-17, John 5:24, Romans 10:8-13, Ephesians 2:8-9, Romans 8:1. It is all of God's Amazing Grace.

Hallelujah!!!!

Upvote 0

bottomofsandal

Mar 10, 2012
America
✟11,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
First of all, if you were once saved, then repentance is in 1 John 1:9. If you were not saved, then John 14:6, John 3:16-17, John 5:24, Romans 10:8-13, Ephesians 2:8-9, Romans 8:1. It is all of God's Amazing Grace.

Hallelujah!!!!

Sure, many here agree with confessing sins.

As well as how a man obtains salvation.

I guess folks who say salvation is lost maybe don't know why...just been taught?

Reactions: ToBeLoved
Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
Actually it is Christ's intercession and the Holy Spirit's intercessions for us that keeps us safe with God.
Christ is also God, so nice to have God interceding for you with Himself!
God is not conflicted about our salvation, we do not have an angry God against us with the Holy Spirit and Christ pleading for us to Him.

Hebrews 7:25
Therefore He is also able to save to the uttermost those who come to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession for them.

Romans 8
26 Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. 27 Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

31 What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?32 He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all, how shall He not with Him also freely give us all things? 33 Who shall bring a charge against God’s elect? It is God who justifies. 34 Who is he who condemns? It is Christ who died, and furthermore is also risen, who is even at the right hand of God, who also makes intercession for us.

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Read what Jesus Himself tells the churches in Revelation, chapters 2 and 3.
I've read them many times and haven't ever considered that He ever spoke of how to regain salvation, the subject of this thread.

So, if that's what He meant, please exegete the specific verses that teach how one regains salvation that has been lost.

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I've read them many times and haven't ever considered that He ever spoke of how to regain salvation, the subject of this thread.

So, if that's what He meant, please exegete the specific verses that teach how one regains salvation that has been lost.

If I were you, I would consider it.

As Jesus told the churches, repent!

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
WARNING: LONG POST

B.L.U.F. As long as you believe in Jesus and submit to His Lordship, you are saved. When you no longer believe in Jesus, you loose your salvation. The book of life is written in pencil and the only person who can erase it is you. Nobody else can do that and God (although able to) will not.

Jesus understood that when people heard the Word of God they would react in different ways – from total rejection to total acceptance. He explained it in ‘The Parable Of The Sower’ (Matthew 13:3-23)( Mark 4:1-20) and (Luke 8:4-15).

Matthew 13:3-9:
3 Then [Jesus] told them many things in parables, saying: “A farmer went out to sow his seed. 4 As he was scattering the seed, some fell along the path, and the birds came and ate it up. 5 Some fell on rocky places, where it did not have much soil. It sprang up quickly, because the soil was shallow. 6 But when the sun came up, the plants were scorched, and they withered because they had no root. 7 Other seed fell among thorns, which grew up and choked the plants. 8 Still other seed fell on good soil, where it produced a crop – a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown. 9 He who has ears, let him hear.” [NIV]

The Disciples wanted to know what this parable meant and Jesus explained.

18 “Listen then to what the parable of the sower means: 19 When anyone hears the message about the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what was sown in his heart. This is the seed sown along the path. 20 The one who received the seed that fell on rocky places is the man who hears the word and at once receives it with joy. 21 But since he has no root, he lasts only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, he quickly falls away. 22 The one who received the seed that fell among the thorns is the man who hears the word, but the worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke it, making it unfruitful. 23 But the one who received the seed that fell on good soil is the man who hears the word and understands it. He produces a crop, yielding a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown.”

For people who believe that “once saved, always saved” I rhetorically ask: how do you relate your beliefs to Matthew 13: 20-21? If a man cannot lose his salvation then why would Jesus say: “When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, he quickly falls away”?

The key to how we are saved is in John 3:16:
“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” [NIV]

I understand that the word ‘believes’ in the Greek is an on-going verb (this is not so easy to determine because Greek is a contextual language). It really says that unless we keep on believing in Him we will perish and not have everlasting life. We are saved by Grace as long as we keep on believing in Him. Let’s check another Scripture.

Mark 13:13 says:
[Jesus said] “All men will hate you because of me, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved.”

Look again at the second half of that sentence. Jesus is saying that to be saved you must stand firm (for Him) until you die. Conversely He is therefore saying that those who do not stand firm will not be saved! Notice that I am not quoting Paul or any other Apostle or Disciple, but the Son of God Himself.

So in this case we should ask ourselves: "What can cause someone to no longer believe in Jesus and cause them to lose their salvation?"

To answer this question we must know what "belief" is and how someone comes to believe or not believe something. Belief is the product of knowledge and understanding. I do not believe that "belief" is a choice. We either believe something or we do not and the only way someone's beliefs change is if something external to the individual (new knowledge or experience) changes it.

Lets say I told you that in order to be saved you had to believe that the sky is pink and purple polka dotted. You may l look me in the eye and tell me you believe it. In your heart you truly want to believe it because you want to be saved. But everytime you look into the sky and see it is obviously blue, can you ever truly believe? Try this very moment to simply choose to believe that the electronic device that you are using to read this post does not exist! This is the problem that I see with many atheist. To tell them that in order to be saved all you have to do is believe in Jesus is like telling them to believe the sky is pink and purple polka dotted. Its impossible without an external source of influence to change that belief (or lack of belief). The only external source that can do that is the Holy Spirit!

Therefore I want you to know that no one who is speaking by the Spirit of God says, “Jesus be cursed,” and no one can say, “Jesus is Lord,” except by the Holy Spirit.
1 Corinthians 12:3 NIV

So how does the Holy Spirit cause someone to believe? The answer is faith and faith is based on "trust" with a lack of knowledge and understanding. Unlike belief which we cannot choose, faith is a choice.

"Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.
Hebrews 11:1 NIV

Think about it. Why do we have confidence and assurance in something? It is because we trust it. Why do we trust it? Because we choose to have trust through faith.

Going back to the parable. When we preach the gospel to someone, we plant the seed of salvation. Because God desires all to be saved (1 Timothy 2:4), He will make the seed grow!

I[Paul] planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God has been making it grow. So neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow.
1 Corinthians 3:6‭-‬7 NIV

So if God will make the seed grow, why doesn't everyone believe and become saved? It is because through faith we choose the condition of our soil. The enemy of faith is doubt.

In conclusion, a Christian can loose their salvation. It is lost when the Christian no longer believes in Jesus and not only accepts Him as their savior, but as their Lord as well. Nobody can take your salvation away. But when doubt grows, faith is destroyed. When faith is destroyed, we no longer believe. When we no longer believe, we loose our salvation.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Mortal sin ruptures your communion with God.

Confessing your sin, asking for forgiveness, receiving absolution from your priest, doing your penance and repenting of your sin will begin the process of putting things right though. Mortal sin is serious business but it isn't as though that's an incurable situation.

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I said this:
"I've read them many times and haven't ever considered that He ever spoke of how to regain salvation, the subject of this thread.

So, if that's what He meant, please exegete the specific verses that teach how one regains salvation that has been lost."
If I were you, I would consider it.
OK, ignore my request. And everything I posted.

As Jesus told the churches, repent!
Yes, He did. So, how does that relate to the issue?

It seems your view is that repenting regains salvation?

I will ask again; please exegete from Rev 2 and 3 to show that repenting regains salvation, since it ISN'T IN THE PLAIN WORDS OF THE TEXTS.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
WARNING: LONG POST

B.L.U.F. As long as you believe in Jesus and submit to His Lordship, you are saved. When you no longer believe in Jesus, you loose your salvation. The book of life is written in pencil and the only person who can erase it is you. Nobody else can do that and God (although able to) will not.
Please provide clear Scripture that teaches that those who no longer believe are no longer saved? The claim keeps being made, yet without any Scriptural support.

For people who believe that “once saved, always saved” I rhetorically ask: how do you relate your beliefs to Matthew 13: 20-21? If a man cannot lose his salvation then why would Jesus say: “When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, he quickly falls away”?
The answer is easy. The phrase "falls away" refers to belief, not being saved.

“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” [NIV]

I understand that the word ‘believes’ in the Greek is an on-going verb (this is not so easy to determine because Greek is a contextual language). It really says that unless we keep on believing in Him we will perish and not have everlasting life. We are saved by Grace as long as we keep on believing in Him. Let’s check another Scripture.
This view ignores, or is ignorant of, all the verses that speak of believing in the AORIST TENSE for salvation. That tense ignores duration of the action. It is like a snapshot of an action, rather than a video of it.

Paul used the aorist tense in his answer to the jailer's question: "what must I do to be saved?". "Believe (aorist) on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved".

Jesus Himself used the aorist tense in Luke 8:12 - “Those beside the road are those who have heard; then the devil comes and takes away the word from their heart, so that they will not believe (aorist) and be saved."

And Paul used the aorist tense in Rom 10:9 - that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe (aorist) in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved

So, it is clear that the Scriptures teach that one IS SAVED from a point in time belief in Christ.

On-going belief is NOT required in order to either get saved, or stay saved.

So how does the Holy Spirit cause someone to believe?
So, the Holy Spirit DOESN'T cause anyone to believe.

Rom 10:10 says that man "believes from the heart". To put one's trust or faith in someone or something is a choice to make.

In conclusion, a Christian can loose their salvation.
In fact, Scripture teaches otherwise.

Rom 11:29 says that the gifts and calling of God are irrevocable.
Rom 6:23 says that eternal life is a gift of God.

Jesus taught that those who believe HAVE (present tense) eternal life in John 5:24.
Jesus also taught that those He gives eternal life WILL NEVER PERISH in John 10:28.

Nobody can take your salvation away.
When Jesus said that "no one can snatch the believer out of God's hand", He was actually saying "no person". Since the believer is a person, He was including even the believer himself.

Further, there are NO VERSES that teach that we can give it away.

But when doubt grows, faith is destroyed. When faith is destroyed, we no longer believe. When we no longer believe, we loose our salvation.
As I've just proven, this claim is unsubstantiated in Scripture.

Scripture teaches the exact opposite. Those who have been given eternal life WILL NEVER PERISH.

That promise is NOT believed by some Christians. They have no faith in what Jesus promises regarding those He gives eternal life to.

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Please provide clear Scripture that teaches that those who no longer believe are no longer saved? The claim keeps being made, yet without any Scriptural support.

This view ignores, or is ignorant of, all the verses that speak of believing in the AORIST TENSE for salvation. That tense ignores duration of the action. It is like a snapshot of an action, rather than a video of it.

Paul used the aorist tense in his answer to the jailer's question: "what must I do to be saved?". "Believe (aorist) on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved".

Jesus Himself used the aorist tense in Luke 8:12 - “Those beside the road are those who have heard; then the devil comes and takes away the word from their heart, so that they will not believe (aorist) and be saved."

And Paul used the aorist tense in Rom 10:9 - that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe (aorist) in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved

So, it is clear that the Scriptures teach that one IS SAVED from a point in time belief in Christ.

On-going belief is NOT required in order to either get saved, or stay saved.

So, the Holy Spirit DOESN'T cause anyone to believe.

Rom 10:10 says that man "believes from the heart". To put one's trust or faith in someone or something is a choice to make.

In fact, Scripture teaches otherwise.

Rom 11:29 says that the gifts and calling of God are irrevocable.
Rom 6:23 says that eternal life is a gift of God.

Jesus taught that those who believe HAVE (present tense) eternal life in John 5:24.
Jesus also taught that those He gives eternal life WILL NEVER PERISH in John 10:28.

When Jesus said that "no one can snatch the believer out of God's hand", He was actually saying "no person". Since the believer is a person, He was including even the believer himself.

Further, there are NO VERSES that teach that we can give it away.

As I've just proven, this claim is unsubstantiated in Scripture.

Scripture teaches the exact opposite. Those who have been given eternal life WILL NEVER PERISH.

That promise is NOT believed by some Christians. They have no faith in what Jesus promises regarding those He gives eternal life to.
So are you suggesting that a Christian who no longer believes in Jesus is still saved? Belief is required to be saved but not necessary to keep your salvation?

Btw...reread my post. There you would find several scriptures that support my claim.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Sure, many here agree with confessing sins.

As well as how a man obtains salvation.

I guess folks who say salvation is lost maybe don't know why...just been taught?
Amen!

The question I always ask to them is if we loose the Holy Spirit when we 'sin' or become 'unsaved'? (using their lingo)

Because the Holy Spirit is the seal of the New Covenant and Jesus sends Him to us and He
is the seal of our salvation. Then if one is 'unsaved' they would have to be unsealed from their covenant with Christ which is to loose the seal of the Holy Spirit, breaking the New Covenant between us and God. God does not break His covenant, so they have to show how we could do it, though scripture says NO ONE in heaven OR on earth. I think that would mean them, but heh, we'll see what they say.

I add that to your list of good questions. Let's see what they say. :D

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
So are you suggesting that a Christian who no longer believes in Jesus is still saved? Belief is required to be saved but not necessary to keep your salvation?

Btw...reread my post. There you would find several scriptures that support my claim.
Did Jesus lie when He said "I WILL NEVER LEAVE YOU OR FORSAKE YOU"?

Also, does not scripture say "Train up a child in the way he should go, Even when he is old he will not depart from it." I believe that the Holy Spirit is still in that person so that person is always being called back to Christ. This verse does not totally pertain to an adult, but I think the same thing rings true of all saved people.

It is not over until death. People are always changing and discovering and re-evaluating.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Where is the verse that shows what you are saying? That unbelief looses someone their salvation?

Also, list out your Greek references to the specific word or verb and it's reference in the Concordance. Thanks.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
So are you suggesting that a Christian who no longer believes in Jesus is still saved?
I suggested nothing. I showed from Scripture that eternal life is irrevocable and that Jesus promised that those who He gives eternal life will never perish.

Belief is required to be saved but not necessary to keep your salvation?
Again, I showed from Scripture that Jesus promised that it is God who holds us. Our salvation is kept by God Himself. Do you not believe this?

I've read every post that I responded to. And none of the verses support your claims. And I've always explained why they don't.

You've not done the same favor for me, though.

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Can any man be saved without faith?

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm not accepting your challenge. Instead, I have a question.

1 Corinthians 6:9-10 includes a list of people who won't inherit the Kingdom.

Your position appears to be Eternal Security.

So my question is whether or not, in light of the passage from 1 Corinthians, you believe one's personal conduct matters in one's religious life. Can one do all the prohibited things from that passage without repentance after "being saved", die and reasonably expect to go to Heaven?

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I'm not accepting your challenge. Instead, I have a question.

1 Corinthians 6:9-10 includes a list of people who won't inherit the Kingdom.

Your position appears to be Eternal Security.

So my question is whether or not, in light of the passage from 1 Corinthians, you believe one's personal conduct matters in one's religious life. Can one do all the prohibited things from that passage without repentance after "being saved", die and reasonably expect to go to Heaven?

You add a lot of conditions to scripture.

Upvote 0