If truth is absoluute then why are therre so many different religions?

Rocmonkey

Mar 13, 2014
Colorado
✟9,049.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Having read and/or studied a number of different religions (own books of/by LDS, JWs, Islam, New Age [Eastern religions revamped], Bibles, and some info on a few others) I am perplexed as to how we got to where we are today.
For example, we all know that there is absolute truth (many of us don't want to acknowledge it always)- 1+1 always equals 2. Gravity will affect you in a seriously adverse way (even if you don't 'feel' or think it will) if you jump off a building.

But how did we get to hundreds, or thousands, of gods? Are there really that many gods or is there just one? And why are there so many different teachings and beliefs about God? Where did all of these gods come from? What is the absolute truth about God and how do we find it? Or can we find it? Is there any proof that there are numerous gods, one god, no god?
Is this even an issue worth discussing- bcuz of its possible ramifications for some, or all, of us? That may be the biggest question here.

I propose (my opinion) that we can know the answers to these questions. But do we dare take the leap and want to learn the absolute truth (if there is absolute truth about God)? What happens after I hit post will determine the outcome of my questions and the understanding we, each, have to face up to. However, in closing this first post, I want to say that, for me (one of my Mottos), there is a way, a clear way, to know -
1. 'If' there is a God
2. How many gods there are
3. Who is God
4. 'Why' he is God
5. Is there evidence for God
My Motto: I follow the facts- whatever they say, wherever they lead.
And,
The truth has nothing to lose or fear by being investigated (if it was true then it is true. If it isn't true then it never was true).
Let's see where this takes us. What say you?

Reactions: cloudyday2

Rocmonkey

Mar 13, 2014
Colorado
✟9,049.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I doubt that it is worth pursuing. There is only one truth, but there are many different ideas as to what the truth IS.

As a result, we have competing religions, political theories, and so on. There's no special mystery about this that I can see.
That is true but- what does the truth (evidence) tell us? Clearly, not all religious beliefs are true especially if there is only one God as so many of them with differing beliefs say. So, how do we know which one is and which ones aren't? Or, does it matter? What if there is only one God? What happens to all who do not follow 'that' God's words? There are a lot of good reasons for pursuing such a discussion. Especially if the one, true God happens to have created a place called Hell Fire (as so many religions teach). I see a valid reason for some to want to know what the truth is and how to know/find it. Actually, the only way for mankind to know/learn truth (about anything) is by personal research of the evidence or double checking the references someone tells us about. Evidence doesn't lie when tried and tested by the scientific norms, but people/churches do. In that case, some may find this worth their while. I am hoping so.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That is true but- what does the truth (evidence) tell us?
Different people are going to be persuaded by different evidence--or reasoning. It's predictable.

Clearly, not all religious beliefs are true especially if there is only one God as so many of them with differing beliefs say. So, how do we know which one is and which ones aren't? Or, does it matter?
To some people, it matters. To others, it doesn't. How we know the answer is to consult logic and evidence, if there is evidence, but you know that not everyone is going to find what another person thinks is conclusive to be so himself.

What if there is only one God? What happens to all who do not follow 'that' God's words?
There are different answers that have been given to that question also.

There are a lot of good reasons for pursuing such a discussion.
WHAT discussion? A discussion about there being only one God? Or the discussion about what happens to those who don't accept him? You started us off with a different question. That was "Why are there so many different religions?" That's the one that I've been responding to here so far.

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Because the question isn't something observable like science is or with proofs like math. I can take two objects, put two more beside it, and see there are four objects. When it comes to religion and philosophy, you're in an entirely different ball game.

Upvote 0

Arthra

Baha'i
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
✟71,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I rather believe that truth is relative...rather than absolute. The moment we proclaim things are "absolute" to me that sounds very dogmatic and rigged. I think you can find spiritual truth in all the great religions of the world.. but in order to see this it's necessary to appreciate the context and cultural setting of the revelation. I also believe truth is progressive from age to age.

Upvote 0

Zstar

Christian Zoroastrian
Apr 11, 2008
Atlanta
Visit site
✟9,008.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Having read and/or studied a number of different religions (own books of/by LDS, JWs, Islam, New Age [Eastern religions revamped], Bibles, and some info on a few others) I am perplexed as to how we got to where we are today.
For example, we all know that there is absolute truth (many of us don't want to acknowledge it always)- 1+1 always equals 2. Gravity will affect you in a seriously adverse way (even if you don't 'feel' or think it will) if you jump off a building.

But how did we get to hundreds, or thousands, of gods? Are there really that many gods or is there just one? And why are there so many different teachings and beliefs about God? Where did all of these gods come from? What is the absolute truth about God and how do we find it? Or can we find it? Is there any proof that there are numerous gods, one god, no god?
Is this even an issue worth discussing- bcuz of its possible ramifications for some, or all, of us? That may be the biggest question here.

I propose (my opinion) that we can know the answers to these questions. But do we dare take the leap and want to learn the absolute truth (if there is absolute truth about God)? What happens after I hit post will determine the outcome of my questions and the understanding we, each, have to face up to. However, in closing this first post, I want to say that, for me (one of my Mottos), there is a way, a clear way, to know -
1. 'If' there is a God
3. Who is God
4. 'Why' he is God
And,
The truth has nothing to lose or fear by being investigated (if it was true then it is true. If it isn't true then it never was true).
From Wiki …

Hermeticists believe in a ‘Prisca Theologia’, the doctrine that a single, true theology exists, that it exists in all religions, and that it was given by God to man in antiquity.

I’m Christian, Hermeticists and Zoroastrian …

Upvote 0

fatboys

Senior Veteran
Nov 18, 2003
✟53,575.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

1. 'If' there is a God
3. Who is God
4. 'Why' he is God
And,
I believe that there is absolute truth but man being finite can not understand it. We understand that it has to be absolute but we can not grasp it in its entirety. Is there one God? Are there many? What difference does it make? If there was more than one God would their goals for us be different than if there was only one God?

Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

1. 'If' there is a God
3. Who is God
4. 'Why' he is God

And,

All of those questions have an answer and those answers are found in the Bible. BUT, that begs the question, how do we know that the Bible is true?!

If the Bible is true, Christianity is true and the God of Christianity is the one, true God, and by extension, all other religions are false because they all have one, or more, beliefs that contradict the essential truths the Bible.

The Bible was written over a period of 1,600 years, by 40 God chosen men, who lived on 3 separate continents and they all wrote about the same thing, the Gospel of Jesus Christ. There were no mail delivery trucks, no drop ship planes, no Federal Express, no UPS and no email, yet when all of the writings were put together they present one unified message. The Bible is truly the inspired Word of God.

If the Bible is true, Christianity is true. How much research have you done on proving the validity of the Bible? Following are some topics and links I hope you will look into, concerning the validity of the Bible. Please lay your doubt aside and proceed with an open mind, and heart, and see what the evidence has to say.

An excellent eBook on the subject: In Defense of the Bible's Inspiration
Proof of Textual Evidence
Old Testament: The Dead Sea Scrolls and Biblical Integrity
New Testament: http://www.carm.org/questions/textualevidence.htm
More on the Bible: http://www.carm.org/bible.htm
Proof of People Living at the Time of Christ
http://www.carm.org/questions/extrabiblical_accounts.htm
http://www.carm.org/questions/Josephus.htm
Proof of Archaeology
http://www.christiananswers.net/archaeology/home.html#general
http://www.biblicalarcheology.net/
http://www.carm.org/questions/evidence_archaeological.htm
Proof of Science
Statements Consistent With Paleontology
Statements Consistent With Astronomy
Statements Consistent With Meteorology
Statements Consistent With Biology
Statements Consistent With Anthropology
Statements Consistent With Hydrology
Statements Consistent With Geology
http://www.clarifyingchristianity.com/science.shtml
http://www.carm.org/bible/ms_science.htm
http://www.eternal-productions.org/101science.html
Proof of Prophecy (Messanic & dealing with nations)
http://www.clarifyingchristianity.com/m_prophecies.shtml
http://www.clarifyingchristianity.com/fulfill.shtml
http://www.carm.org/bible/prophecy.htm
http://prophecyrevealed.com/friendbook9thPrinting.pdf (awesome eBook)
http://www.clarifyingchristianity.com/b_proof.shtml
Biblical prophecy is one of the strongest proofs for me. No one, but God, can tell you what's going to happen, before it happens, with 100% accuracy. Two, of the many, incredible prophecies of the Bible is the foretelling about what would happen to the city of Tyre~~~> http://apologeticspress.org/apcontent.aspx?category=13&article=1790 and the Rebirth of the nation of Israel in 1948~~~> http://www.grantjeffrey.com/pdf/JeffBIBLE-EzekVision2.pdf.

If the Bible is true, Christianity is true. In Christianity, faith is required but it does not have to be a blind faith.

Upvote 0

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
This looks to be an interesting discussion but you lost me at CARM, I cannot take them seriously.

At any rate; my biggest hurdle with accepting Christianity is accepting the Christian God and subsequently the writings about him. I am pagan but I typically fall in a more Deist camp we respect to how I perceive a God acting in the universe.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
However, in closing this first post, I want to say that, for me (one of my Mottos), there is a way, a clear way, to know -
1. 'If' there is a God
3. Who is God
4. 'Why' he is God
And,

I say that any god that can be defined by humans cannot be God.

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
That is true but- what does the truth (evidence) tell us? Clearly, not all religious beliefs are true especially if there is only one God as so many of them with differing beliefs say.

Ever hear the story of the Blind Men and the Elephant?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_men_and_an_elephant

What if there is only one God?

Nearly all religions agree that this is only one God. But even that is putting limitations on the divine.

What happens to all who do not follow 'that' God's words?

If there is only one God then there is no question of 'that' God. All our conceptions are merely partials understandings of the One.

There are a lot of good reasons for pursuing such a discussion. Especially if the one, true God happens to have created a place called Hell Fire (as so many religions teach).

A religion focused on fire insurance is a pretty primitive and immature religion if you ask me.

Evidence doesn't lie when tried and tested by the scientific norms, but people/churches do.

I hope that means you believe in evolution and climate change.

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
From Wiki …

Hermeticists believe in a ‘Prisca Theologia’, the doctrine that a single, true theology exists, that it exists in all religions, and that it was given by God to man in antiquity.

I’m Christian, Hermeticists and Zoroastrian …

That it is one approach to the oneness of religion known as perennialism, based on the premise that the true theology was taught in the beginning and has been gradually eroded. The Baha'i approach is very different. We believe that God revealed Himself progressively to various peoples in accordance with the age and needs in which they lived. The Tabernacle of Unity is an interesting dialogue between Manakji Limji Hataria, a Zoroastrian perennialist and Baha'u'llah. http://reference.bahai.org/en/t/b/TU/

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
All of those questions have an answer and those answers are found in the Bible.

Some of us believe in other scriptures besides the Bible.

The Bible was written over a period of 1,600 years, by 40 God chosen men, who lived on 3 separate continents and they all wrote about the same thing, the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Three continents? You do realize that Europe is a peninsula of Asia, not a separate continent? What we are really talking about is the Mediterranean World. Continents are hardly significant in that context. But tell me, which African writes about Jesus Christ in the Bible?

The Bible is truly the inspired Word of God.

As are the Qur'an, the Avesta, the Bhagavad-Gita, the Writings of Baha'u'llah, etc.

If the Bible is true, Christianity is true. How much research have you done on proving the validity of the Bible?

How much research have you done proving the validity of the Avesta?

Following are some topics and links I hope you will look into, concerning the validity of the Bible. Please lay your doubt aside and proceed with an open mind, and heart, and see what the evidence has to say.

Given the fact most of us had enough experience with CARM to know they exhibit an open mind towards no one but themselves, I think we'll pass. If we wanted to deal with CARM anymore we would be at their website, not here.
Personally I put CARM right up there next to ISIS.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,161,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think Rocmonkey thinks he has God all wrapped up in his little box, or at least his little book.

Maybe. From my experience with Christians most of them would never do that.

They may claim that what God is can be totally defined in a little book, but they also infer that the little book somehow contains endless material about God and that no one will ever be able to even scratch the surface.

Upvote 0

Crandaddy

Classical Theist
Aug 8, 2012
✟21,142.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
It is my own belief that human beings can naturally discern that truth and goodness form a path that leads toward a unifying source for them both (i.e., what I would call "God"), and that religion is an attempt to follow that path. Some religions may do a better job of following that path than others (by being closer to the truth, say), but all of them are attempts to follow it.

Upvote 0

ScottA

Author: Walking Like Einstein
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2011
✟33,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

1. 'If' there is a God
3. Who is God
4. 'Why' he is God
And,
It is because God has given us freedom of thought.

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
Maybe. From my experience with Christians most of them would never do that.

They may claim that what God is can be totally defined in a little book, but they also infer that the little book somehow contains endless material about God and that no one will ever be able to even scratch the surface.

Well, as you know, the Bible is not that little. But what happens with most Christians, especially evangelicals, is they form a canon within a canon. For instance, they may focus on homosexuality being an abomination while enjoying their catfish, ignoring that the same text calls it an abomination as well.

Upvote 0