If there was a straight pill would homosexuals take it?

Inviolable

Feb 27, 2006
✟3,179.00
Faith
Christian
I agree with Crazy Liz's point too...what's the point? How will it determine anything at all?
I'm trying to get to that but no one seems to want to cooperate.

I'm trying to explain it, I really am.
But that feeling, the explanation of it starts a whole new line of questions that just goes on and is still tossed aside as prejudice.

I'm not a poet, so I'm afraid someone is going to have to eventaully answer the questions I'm asking.

I am asking them and they're getting blown off rather quickly and replaced by other questions. Kind of seems like a misdirection.

I'll ask you.

What is it? Would you have sex with someone of the opposite sex?
If not why?

Upvote 0

Bamboo_Chicken

Once a Steffi, forever a Bamboo Chicken
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2004
New South Wales
Visit site
✟39,912.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Ok, then I will assume there are no extenuating circumstances. No, I would not...but short of it being my partner I'd not sleep with anybody of the same sex either ;). Are you getting at the point that we prefer different things, or something entirely different?

Upvote 0

Inviolable

Feb 27, 2006
✟3,179.00
Faith
Christian
Ok, then I will assume there are no extenuating circumstances. No, I would not...but short of it being my partner I'd not sleep with anybody of the same sex either ;). Are you getting at the point that we prefer different things, or something entirely different?

Kind of but not exactly. The fact that we like different things has little to do with it. But at the same time is at the heart of the issue.

I'm trying to get to the feeling itself. I mean is your partner the only reason you wouldn't have sex with someone of the opposite sex?
What about if you had no partner?
What feelings would compel you to steer clear of hetero sex?

Upvote 0

Lord_Barthok_Soc

Veritatem Imitare
Mar 27, 2006
Everywhere!
Visit site
✟7,960.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
And so it begins to degenerate, once again, into the insipient premise that "it's all about sex". Trying to simplify and generalise that which is fundamentally complex and subjective. Equating emotional responses to mental reasoning.

Would homosexuals take the hypothetical "straight pill"?

Personally, no. A few years ago, that answer would have been different.

In general, people would likely (in my humble opinion) divide into three main groups; those forcing/being forced into mandatory medication, those avidly against the pill for anyone under any circumstance, and those who would consider it a personal choice.

How would people perhaps choose for/against such a thing? Emotions and desires, emanating from peer pressures within their respective society. The need for acceptance, or wanting to be "different" from the majority, or having a "normal" family, or experiencing "acceptable" urges, etcetera ad infinitum.

Ever watch the X-men trilogy of films? A group of humans, different from the average person, all around the world in all societies. Some are obviously different, some aren't. Some realise they are "mutants", some don't, some pretend not to be. There are more of the mutants around than people realise. Some societies abhor or fear them, others see them as gods or attractions.

The world at large starts to realise the mutants are out there, and faces the challenge of deciding what to do with them; destroy them? Cast them out? Embrace them into society? Outlaw/restrict/monitor them?

Some mutants just want to live their lives in peace. Others want dominance. Others react against their society, returning fear and hate, with fear and hate. A small group seek equality and mutual understanding.

A "cure" is found for the mutation (in actuality, a suppressant). Some want to take it, others hate the very idea of it, some want to force it on people etc.

Deja vu, anyone?

What feelings make most of my friends turn and stare at the buxom barmaid, whilst I'm sitting there oblivious as to what all the fuss is about? What makes you fancy someone? And it's not just sex, it's romantic relationships.

Sex is sex, a biological activity with a lot of emotion tangled up in it, and varying levels of drive to partake in it. The physical aspect cannot be totally separated from the psychological. Stimulate the right organs and most people derive physical pleasure, be it from their own hand, another man, another woman, a piece of machinery, whatever. But different circumstances elicit different emotional responses in different people.

Some gain emotional pleasure from heterosexual encounters, others displeasure. Some don't like the idea of any sex at all. The idea of sex with a female makes me cringe, be it in a random encounter or within the context of a relationship. Much as, I suspect, the idea of sex with a guy makes Inviolable shudder.

A man receiving oral sex from a woman might feel differently about the whole thing were he to discover the woman was a man. What changes? It's all in his head.

Upvote 0

EnemyPartyII

Sep 12, 2006
✟20,084.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
As funny as it sounds I want to say, that's right, change the subject.

Yeah, that's funny.

Hey let me ask you a question I dont think I have.

Would you have sex with someone of the opposite sex?

If no why?

No. Because I'm not attracted to people of the opposite sex.

Does that help?

Upvote 0

Inviolable

Feb 27, 2006
✟3,179.00
Faith
Christian

What feelings make most of my friends turn and stare at the buxom barmaid, whilst I'm sitting there oblivious as to what all the fuss is about? What makes you fancy someone? And it's not just sex, it's romantic relationships.
Not really what I'm looking for but I like your openness so far.

But different circumstances elicit different emotional responses in different people.
Getting a lot closer.
The idea of sex with a female makes me cringe, be it in a random encounter or within the context of a relationship. Much as, I suspect, the idea of sex with a guy makes Inviolable shudder.
Bingo!
Now if you can, would you humor me a little longer and maybe compare that feeling to another feeling as closely as you can. Please.

A man receiving oral sex from a woman might feel differently about the whole thing were he to discover the woman was a man. What changes? It's all in his head.
You ever been the man pretending to be the woman?
A lot of things are all in the head, that doesn't mean they're O.K. to do.
Reality will still beat the tar out of you for trying it once to often.

Upvote 0

D.W.Washburn

The Artist Formerly Known as RegularGuy
Mar 31, 2007
United States
✟17,408.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
No, actually I've stated exactly what kind of answer I'm looking for.
It would seem the answer is a frightening concept. Otherwise I'd have it by now.

On the other hand, maybe the answer you are looking for is false.

:scratch:

I'm only speculating, since I don't know what answer you are looking for.

Upvote 0

D.W.Washburn

The Artist Formerly Known as RegularGuy
Mar 31, 2007
United States
✟17,408.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
If you dont know then why speculate as false?

You suggest that the answer you seek is a "frightening concept" and therefore you are not getting it.

Another possiblity is that the answer you seek is false.

That's all.

There are other possibilities, too, I'm sure.

For instance, maybe no one knows what answer you're looking for. Maybe it's a vast forum-wide conspiracy to frustrate you. Maybe the Psions are blocking our thought waves.

If you are trying to force an answer and not getting it, why not try to make your point in another way?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

EnemyPartyII

Sep 12, 2006
✟20,084.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
No, actually I've stated exactly what kind of answer I'm looking for.
It would seem the answer is a frightening concept. Otherwise I'd have it by now.

*Blink blink* How is "no I would not have sex with someone of the opposite sex, because I don't find people of the opposite sex attractive"

Not an adequate answer to
Would you have sex with someone of the opposite sex?

If no why?
?

But as always, if you can phrase a direct question, I will do my best to give you a direct answer. Really, I'm not trying to avoid giving you an answer, but what exactly it is you are trying to ask me is beyond me at this poiint.

Reactions: Kenzi
Upvote 0

EnemyPartyII

Sep 12, 2006
✟20,084.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
You suggest that the answer you seek is a "frightening concept" and therefore you are not getting it.

Another possiblity is that the answer you seek is false.

That's all.

There are other possibilities, too, I'm sure.

For instance, maybe no one knows what answer you're looking for. Maybe it's a vast forum-wide conspiracy to frustrate you. Maybe the Psions are blocking our thought waves.

If you are trying to force an answer and not getting it, why not try to make your point in another way?

Psions? Bah. My thetans could knock nine colours of snot out of your psions!

Reactions: Kenzi
Upvote 0

Bamboo_Chicken

Once a Steffi, forever a Bamboo Chicken
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2004
New South Wales
Visit site
✟39,912.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Kind of but not exactly. The fact that we like different things has little to do with it. But at the same time is at the heart of the issue.

I'm trying to get to the feeling itself. I mean is your partner the only reason you wouldn't have sex with someone of the opposite sex?
What about if you had no partner?
I think I place much less importance on sex within a relationship than you appear to be suggesting. If you're asking what would steer me clear of a hetero relationship, I can only give you the same answer EPII did. Otherwise, you could just as easily ask me if I would ever kill someone or run for Prime Minister...

I'm still interested as to how these feelings support the pill you've asked about. If I may though, might I also ask a question? If this pill existed, would you make me take it because you thought my relationship was unnatural?

(You also mentioned earlier that you felt we'd been rather offensive in here and I really do apologise if I've been one who has offended you with my replies.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Inviolable

Feb 27, 2006
✟3,179.00
Faith
Christian
I think I place much less importance on sex within a relationship than you appear to be suggesting. If you're asking what would steer me clear of a hetero relationship, I can only give you the same answer EPII did. Otherwise, you could just as easily ask me if I would ever kill someone or run for Prime Minister...

I'm still interested as to how these feelings support the pill you've asked about. If I may though, might I also ask a question? If this pill existed, would you make me take it because you thought my relationship was unnatural?

(You also mentioned earlier that you felt we'd been rather offensive in here and I really do apologise if I've been one who has offended you with my replies.)

Wow cool, thanks for the apology that was nice :)

I dont need an apology from you, you're nice.

Well, it all comes back to how people feel about the sex and why homosexuals have it.

I dont want to answer any more then that because every time I do the debate goes into great detail and last longer then it has. I mean, look at what I've had to go through to get the answers I've been looking for so far.

If the questions are that insignificant then someone could've answered them right away. But six pages later people are finally starting to speak up about them.

I wouldn't force it on anyone. I'm kind of passive aggressive about the whole thing. I dont care what happens but I feel very strongly that people can understand.

Upvote 0

Inviolable

Feb 27, 2006
✟3,179.00
Faith
Christian
Cop out. Imagine your friend wasn't married to her. Would you sleep with her?

If not why?
O.K.
I'm sorry if it sounded that way. That's not how it was meant to sound.

I was trying to find the defining moment. The emotions that make someone who they are. You may not have a choice in being homosexual or heterosexual, but people can explain the feelings they have on the subject.

If we couldn't then everyone would be bisexual. Or not having sex at all.
There has to be something that turns homosexual's off when it comes to people of the opposite sex. That can be compared to another emotional trigger. Not everything in sex can be summed up, icky or not icky.

My point is not all of these emotional attachments or dislikes are the same feeling.
I can give examples from the video you provided.
When it comes to old people having sex, I think of my grandmother and get turned off.
My icky thoughts about large people are completely different. I'm certainly not thinking about my grandmother. I'm thinking about getting lost in someones flab and yet again, turned off.

In the same regard my thoughts on homosexuals are different.
Thats what I want to know from you and anyone else I've asked.
And if you can, compare it to something that may be universally understood.

For example. Getting lost in a fat persons flab is like rolling around in a grease pit behind McDonalds.

Not that I have anything against large people and I apologize if I've insulted anyone.

Upvote 0

EnemyPartyII

Sep 12, 2006
✟20,084.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I still don't get it... homosexuals are attracted exclusively to same sex partners, heterosexuals are attracted exclusively to opposite sex partners, and bisexuals are attracted to either.

Sure, other charecteristics effect attraction as well... like people can be turned off by overweight, underweight, too old or two young, regardless of sexual orientation.

I'm still not sure what we're trying to show here???

Upvote 0