If Texas secedes from the U.S. ...

Virgil the Roman

Young Fogey & Monarchist-Distributist . . .
Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Know that all fifty states with the United State are each independent, sovereign republics in union with one another under the compact entitled, 'The Constitution of these united States.' It is a voluntary union; force should not be required to maintain a voluntary union that member-republic no longer wishes to remain apart of. If it was voluntary to join, it ought and is by right, voluntary to leave such a union. It is not treasonous to exercise one's natural and protected rights. It is part of the historical 'tradition' of America.

Upvote 0

Virgil the Roman

Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Irene Adler: I love the Sherlock Holmes signature and screen-name of yours. As a fellow fan of Sherlock Holmes and good classical books, I salute you! :cool:

Most awesome, indeed! :smoke:

Nota Bene: I am not a Texan; however, I do respect their sovereign rights to maintain their liberties and exercise their constitutional right to maintain the sovereignty with which they entered into the Union with. It is as the maxim upon the banner of Virginia's flag saith:
'Sic Semper Tyrannis!'

Seal_of_Virginia.svg

Upvote 0

broken_one

Fear is but something to be overcome.
Jun 5, 2008
✟22,438.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Know that all fifty states with the United State are each independent, sovereign republics in union with one another under the compact entitled, 'The Constitution of these united States.' It is a voluntary union; force should not be required to maintain a voluntary union that member-republic no longer wishes to remain apart of. If it was voluntary to join, it ought and is by right, voluntary to leave such a union. It is not treasonous to exercise one's natural and protected rights. It is part of the historical 'tradition' of America.
As previously stated, the "tradition" is also to clobber secessionists into submission....I don't see how that would change because it's Texas instead of Virginia.

Also, I don't believe you realize that dual federalism has not existed in America for about 80 years. That is almost a century: when America hasn't existed for even two and a half of those, it is quite a big deal. It is much easier to think of the United States today as a unitary government, with the states governing the areas on the behalf of the nation. Ironically after seeing what federal power has done in bringing certain *ahem* states into the 20th Century, I can't say that this system of "marble cake federalism" is something that is wrong or abominable (as a structure).

Upvote 0

Virgil the Roman

Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Touma

Feb 19, 2007
Virginia
✟19,033.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

No, you're terribly wrong if you think that. Poli Sci 101 will teach you that.

Upvote 0

Tink

our God is faithful. ♥
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2004
Texas
✟56,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
You don't want to live in Texas forever, right? Maybe you could get refugee status and move to Colorado. :D

Sweet! Chad, can I stay with you? I mean, do you have an extra room? :sohappy:

Ack, who'd ever want to move from Texas? That's crazy talk... (of course what do you expect from a group of people who call a coke "pop") :p

....people who don't like it? I don't call a "Coke" a pop, either. I call soda...soda, and you'll have to specify the brand. ;)

Liberals? :p

I am not a liberal. Thanks, though. :p

Reactions: IreneAdler
Upvote 0

mjmcmillan

Sep 27, 2009
Out there. Thataway.
✟5,089.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I don't know if Texas would try it again. Seems this thing called "The Civil War" left something to remember it by as regards leaving the Union.

I have heard of a place that has seceded though. It's called the "Conch Republic" though most of us know it as "Key West". It makes for an interesting tale of frustration with the US government and what the people of the Keys did about it.

Welcome To The Conch Republic - Key West

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Touma

Feb 19, 2007
Virginia
✟19,033.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
And yet that wasn't a war over secession ultimately (or slavery), but commerce issues if the south had been allowed to secede

Commerce issues? You mean the economically stronger North wanted to keep the weaker soft for commerce issues? I am pretty sure, that by reading speeches and the like of Lincoln and other top leaders, the North went to war to keep the Union intact, meaning the issue WAS secession.

Upvote 0

IreneAdler

more binah in her finger than in your whole body
Oct 12, 2009
✟22,392.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm saying that the south, while not mechanized, was a major source of goods, yes.

And if you haven't noticed, what politicians say means very little as to what's actually going on (just look at our government for oh... our whole lives)

Upvote 0