✟78,744.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
John 5:25
Truly, truly, I say to you, an hour is coming and now is, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God, and those who hear will live.

Why not listen for the voice of God if you are dead? Jesus said the dead who hear His voice will live.

THOSE THAT HEAR will live... so obviously all the dead do not HEAR His voice... only those that have ears to hear

Upvote 0

rnmomof7

Legend
Feb 9, 2002
Western NY
✟78,744.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
People resist God's grace all the time.

Strong atheists are an example of this. Some go so far as to write books as to how they've achieved this resistance so as to lead others to follow.

John chapter 10 helps explain how this happens.
Of course it isn't just atheists but anyone who does not feel the call of Christ. All others not of Christ are examples of those who resist. But is it resistance? Or is it that they do not hear the call of God?

They do not hear .

Upvote 0

adhidarmawijaya

Jun 21, 2015
✟7,759.00
Marital Status
Married
The problem is that men do not understand they are dead spiritually, they think they are just spiritually sick.. and can choose what medicine will make well or choose to remain sick .

The idea that Gods grace showers over us to make us alive goes against the idea that man is really god in his salvation ...
The problem is that men do not understand they are dead spiritually
So in order men understand "How and What the God's Grace is " there should be manifestation of God's Grace" by the Messiah.
If men realize and admit that they are spiritually dead, means there are no any capability within them that they can depend on (even positive will ) they surely said to God " Oh God , You are so odd! How can i fulfill Your these hundreds law , if the simplest one for not eating the fruit of the tree of life intentionally i shall not be able to do ?, where as proof is : You drove me out from Eden ".

Hundreds of year God gave men to verify about their "spiritually dead" began from the Torah laws until the cross , men didn't realize any yet, men persistently enthusiastically trying to fulfill the laws ( working in Sabbath day/salvation by work) so manifestation of the God's Grace was necessity for opening the men eyes by force ,even until now there are so many men sure they still have the positive will to obey God by themselves , this is so really sad.

Upvote 0

Lazy_Proverb

"You did not choose me but I chose you"Jn.15:16
Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
✟16,321.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
According to your doctrine, how can any of the dead hear the voice of God?
"Your doctrine" ?
Would you please elaborate on that?

What does the Bible tell you? What does it say to the worlds people?

You are spiritually dead in your sin. But Jesus told the 5000 if you remember. "Everyone the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will never cast out." (John 6:37) And verse 44: No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him, and I will raise him up on the last day.

And how is that accomplished? How are the spiritually dead drawn to God? Romans 10:17 So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ.

Is that the Bible that is spoken of there? Was Paul carrying a Bible with 66 books about with him when he wrote that epistle?
No.
John 1:1 In the beginning was the word and the word was with God and the word was God.

But what else does John 1 tell us in those other scriptures after verse 1?
Those who are dead in their sins are living in darkness, right? (Isaiah 9:2, Ephesians 5:8)

John 1:2-5 He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life, and the life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Pink Spider

EUROPEAN ANGLICAN
Supporter
May 26, 2013
Sweden
✟38,072.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single

MOD HAT ON

This thread underwent a cleanup by CF-Staff
because many posts were of a Goading/Baiting
nature.
Please stick to CF-Rules: No Goading and
No baiting.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

Lazy_Proverb

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
✟16,321.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Satan can do nothing outside the will of God...
Very true. We learned of this even in the book of Job.

It is a balance. The darkness and the light. God's eternal will and foreknowledge working his divine plan using the particulars he has created and that are at his disposal.

Upvote 0

Skala

I'm a Saint. Not because of me, but because of Him
Mar 15, 2011
✟27,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
God does NOT give men merely "A CHANCE". Because He is infinitely gracious and merciful, He gives all human beings MULTIPLE OPPORTUNITIES to repent.

Actually, He is the one that grants repentance. He does much more than merely "give people an opportunity". He goes beyond that and actually ENSURES that billions of people DO repent and are saved. All for the praise of his glorious grace.

Upvote 0

Lazy_Proverb

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
✟16,321.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Actually, He is the one that grants repentance. He does much more than merely "give people an opportunity". He goes beyond that and actually ENSURES that billions of people DO repent and are saved. All for the praise of his glorious grace.
Amen.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rnmomof7

Legend
Feb 9, 2002
Western NY
✟78,744.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian

Indeed He is the author AND THE FINISHER OF OUR FAITH

Upvote 0

rnmomof7

Legend
Feb 9, 2002
Western NY
✟78,744.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
So in order men understand "How and What the God's Grace is " there should be manifestation of God's Grace" by the Messiah.
If men realize and admit that they are spiritually dead, means there are no any capability within them that they can depend on (even positive will ) they surely said to God " Oh God , You are so odd! How can i fulfill Your these hundreds law , if the simplest one for not eating the fruit of the tree of life intentionally i shall not be able to do ?, where as proof is : You drove me out from Eden ".

Hundreds of year God gave men to verify about their "spiritually dead" began from the Torah laws until the cross , men didn't realize any yet, men persistently enthusiastically trying to fulfill the laws ( working in Sabbath day/salvation by work) so manifestation of the God's Grace was necessity for opening the men eyes by force ,even until now there are so many men sure they still have the positive will to obey God by themselves , this is so really sad.

The key word here is TRYING.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

nobdysfool

The original! Accept no substitutes!
Feb 23, 2003
Home, except when I'm not....
✟21,146.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Calvinism was a name tagged to the Canons of Dort, which were replies to the Remonstrance put forth by proto-Arminians. Calvin himself did not create or establish Calvinism, and would probably be horrified that such a thing had happened. He never set out to create anything like that, his main body of work was the Institutes of the Christian Religion, more or less a systematic theology. To say that Augustine was a Calvinist is ludicrous, as about 1000 years separated them. To ask why Calvinism was not heard of prior to Augustine is extremely muddy thinking, and shows an alarming lack of knowledge of history, both Christian and otherwise, not to mention any notion of temporal timelines.

Did Calvin borrow or otherwise consider the writings of Augustine? Most likely he did, but it is certain that Augustine never knew of or heard of John Calvin.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rnmomof7

Legend
Feb 9, 2002
Western NY
✟78,744.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Why is it that Calvinism was literally unheard of before Augustine in the fifth century?

Paul taught the doctrines of grace... Luther rediscovered them through the teachings of Augustine

For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake; Phil 1:29

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Paul taught the doctrines of grace... Luther rediscovered them through the teachings of Augustine

For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake; Phil 1:29
Hi; it says also in Ephesians 2: 'But God, Who is rich in mercy, for the great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in sin, hath raised us up together...(etc.)'

Good to know God is indeed in charge! :)

Blessings.

Upvote 0

AndOne

Deliver me oh Lord, from evil men
Apr 20, 2002
Florida
✟20,928.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Where Paul teaches TULIP:

Total Depravity - Romans 3:9-20; Romans 5:12-14
Unconditional Election - Romans 9:6-24
Limited Atonement - Romans 8:12-17
Irresistible Grace - Romans 10:14-20
Perseverance of the Saints - Romans 8:31-39

11951158_1157683160915108_1002970454281374319_n.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: nobdysfool
Upvote 0

AndOne

Deliver me oh Lord, from evil men
Apr 20, 2002
Florida
✟20,928.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I have read the Institutes - three times - and nothing could be farther from the truth. Yes he quote Augustine a few times but nothing to the level which you are claiming. I think you might have Calivin mixed up with Luther - who in my opinion over quotes Augustine in "The Bondage of The Will."

Reactions: nobdysfool
Upvote 0