If I Truly Believe

Nov 26, 2010
✟7,634.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi guys,

Recently, I have been moved strongly by the Holy Spirit, and since then I have been filled with an unexplainable joy. I naturally want to grow in my newfound faith, but...

If we are to truly believe that Jesus died on the cross for our sins, that there is peace to be found in God, that we can obtain everlasting life, etc...

Then why do we not drop everything and simply devote all to God?

I go to a university, and it just seems pointless to get an expensive degree when I could just witness to others, knowing that God will take care of me.

I'm typing this on a computer, when I could be on the street, reaching those that need to know about Jesus.

I live the average life of a college student, knowing good and well that I want to devote myself to God only some of the time, and that is just not acceptable.

Why does everyone play it safe? Wouldn't God take care of us if we were to drop everything? How do I go about devoting 110% to God?

Reactions: Mixolydian
C

Christownsme

Hi guys,

Recently, I have been moved strongly by the Holy Spirit, and since then I have been filled with an unexplainable joy. I naturally want to grow in my newfound faith, but...

If we are to truly believe that Jesus died on the cross for our sins, that there is peace to be found in God, that we can obtain everlasting life, etc...

I go to a university, and it just seems pointless to get an expensive degree when I could just witness to others, knowing that God will take care of me.

I'm typing this on a computer, when I could be on the street, reaching those that need to know about Jesus.

I live the average life of a college student, knowing good and well that I want to devote myself to God only some of the time, and that is just not acceptable.

Why does everyone play it safe? Wouldn't God take care of us if we were to drop everything? How do I go about devoting 110% to God?

You have a very tender heart. I don't know the answer. But you've stirred me up to consider what you've said. Keep concious contact with the Father in the next few days, especially. He will guide you to the call of the Holy Spirit on your life, as we must do the same.

God bless

Doug

Upvote 0

His_disciple3

Nov 22, 2010
as close to Jesus as I can be
✟17,075.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
you have a strong calling on your life, maybe time to consider a career change, even a transfer to maybe a Bible college is in the future, God does not call the qualified but rather qualifies the called, Please do not run from this calling. but rather ran toward it with all your heart,

Romans 8:28
28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
KJV

this is not just for preachers, etc. All christians have been called, every child of God has a purpose/calling.

when I told one of my old timey preachers that I had answered the call to preach, he told me to never forget this verse, to write it in my heart, that I might always have it with me. I pass this on to you:

1 John 4:4
4 Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.
KJV
And I will throw this in myself:

1 John 5:2-5
2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.
3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.
4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.
5 Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?
KJV

Upvote 0

new_wine

Citizen
Dec 30, 2010
✟16,339.00
Faith
Christian
There is no reason why not to work to support yourself and also to receive the gifts of others and of God.

Paul did this. He still made his own way so as not to burden anyone and make it appear that his message was about money.

For all you know right this minute, you are called to continue in university so you can get a degree that will allow you to help more people than if you were just on the street hoping for their kindness.

Spread the Good News and work hard to educate yourself. Then use that to benefit others.

Hi guys,

Upvote 0
T

ToddMyers

It depends on God's calling for your life. What does He want you to do? He may want you in college. He can use you no matter where you are. You can be a witness to those around you. Seek God and follow his leading. If he wants you to be somewhere else he will open the doors for you. Just keep in tune with him and do not make any moves until he leads you.

Upvote 0

Kutte

Dec 30, 2007
USA
✟31,666.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Green
lamb,
In regards to your statement:
"I go to a university, and it just seems pointless to get an expensive degree when I could just witness to others, knowing that God will take care of me."

Response:
God expects that you do some caring yourself. That's why he gave you a mind and muscle power to be used for doing some work. You could use a university degree to benefit yourself and others in future years.

God bless, Kutte

Upvote 0
G

gideons300

Hi guys,

Ahhhh, how wonderful! The blessed enthusiasm of a new believer! I am rejoicing with you for your newfound faith in our loving master.

How I wish we could remember as older Christians our first love and what it was like to think like this. I am not sure which church it was in Revelations, perhaps the church at Ephesis, but to one of the seven, God said that the believers have left their first love andHe counseled them to repent, to hunger again for that new love they once had for God and the hopes and faith that flowed so easily.

I understand your enthusiasm and joy, and I would not hold you back in any way as to witnessing. Far too often, we try to win the lost with our "logic" or a memorized script but nothing can substitute for excitement and unfeigned joy. But God has words for you as well, to grow in your faith, to study to show yourself approved of God, to get plugged into the body with other believers and learn more about your new found faith.

As to whether or not you should quit school, I would ask you to exercise patience and wait upon the Lord for youthful enthusiam needs to be replaced with seasoned joy, and the wisdom that comes with it. You need the foundation of the scriptures and the doscerning of God's voice that only time spent in front of God can give.

In no way do I want to curtail your joy however, but instead I ask that you spread it. You can certainly go to school and still be a wonderful witness.

May we all remember what your heart feels like when you almost cannot stand it, because it is that good. If any are reading here and wonder why they have settled into a boring, emtpy religious sleep-walking that lacks power and the joy of the Lord is dried up, seek God's face. Do not accept that this is the way it is. That is a lie, for we are to walk deeper and deeper in the Lord as we mature, and joy should be our heritage, and if we are not, something is amiss.

I hope this helps.

Blessings,

Bruce

Upvote 0

John S

I'm Here - For Now
Nov 19, 2010
✟11,359.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Hi guys,

Maybe I misunderstand what you are saying. What exactly do you mean when you say "Wouldn't God take care of us if we were to drop everything?" God takes care of those who help themselves.
Do you mean that if you quit college that He is going to get you a great paying job? Probably not.
Do you mean that He will guide you to work in a homeless shelter? Maybe.
God wants His followers to become doctors, lawyers, teachers, or whatever it was that you are studying to become. You can do His work there also.
If you're looking for an excuse to quit college because you don't like it, then I'm not the person to talk to.

Upvote 0
Dec 22, 2010
New York
✟7,810.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi guys,

God WOULD take care of you if you were to drop everything. Keep seeking The Face of God in prayer, deep deep prayer. God will bring you to where he wants you. Just remeber what Jesus says to those who want to Follow him. (luke 9:23) Not to say YOU SHOULD NOT stay in college. Just keep seeking Gods Will for your life, and not your own. YOu will know where God wants you. Jesus Bless you! :)

Upvote 0
Dec 22, 2010
New York
✟7,810.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
God takes care of those who help themselves.

God helps those who help themselves?

I think GOD says something entirely different

Romans 5:6,8
"For while we were still helpless, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly....But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."

Proverbs 28:26
"He who trusts in his own heart is a fool,
But he who walks wisely will be delivered.

Jeremiah 17:5
"Thus says the LORD,
"Cursed is the man who trusts in mankind
And makes flesh his strength,
And whose heart turns away from the LORD"

Actually "God helps those who help themselves is a Pagan thought, and stems from Aesop Fables, I quote:

A WAGGONER was once driving a heavy load along a very muddy way. At last he came to a part of the road where the wheels sank half-way into the mire, and the more the horses pulled, the deeper sank the wheels. So the Waggoner threw down his whip, and knelt down and prayed to Hercules the Strong. "O Hercules, help me in this my hour of distress," quoth he. But Hercules appeared to him, and said:
"Tut, man, don’t sprawl there. Get up and put your shoulder to the wheel.

"THE GODS HELP THEM THAT HELP THEMSELVES."

This is actually Anti-Biblical. God Helps those who put there Trust In HIM.

The only help you can be for yourselves, is to DENY self. and Rely on GOD.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

John S

I'm Here - For Now
Nov 19, 2010
✟11,359.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Helpless Lamb - Quitting college is NOT going to help you become a teacher, accountant, or whatever you are studying. If you don't like your major, then change it. If you are intelligent enough to earn a degree, then earn it, unless you have a good job already lined up.
If you want to study the Bible, no one is stopping you.
As I said before, if you are looking for an excuse to quit, you won't get one from me. It looks like you'll get one from some of the other people on this site.

Upvote 0
G

gideons300

Maybe I misunderstand what you are saying. What exactly do you mean when you say "Wouldn't God take care of us if we were to drop everything?" God takes care of those who help themselves.
Do you mean that if you quit college that He is going to get you a great paying job? Probably not.
Do you mean that He will guide you to work in a homeless shelter? Maybe.
God wants His followers to become doctors, lawyers, teachers, or whatever it was that you are studying to become. You can do His work there also.
If you're looking for an excuse to quit college because you don't like it, then I'm not the person to talk to.
Not trying to come against what you say, but the word about God helping those who help themselves, this may be your point of view but it is not scripture. Many thing this is found in the Bible but it is not.

Just thought I would pass that on.

Blessings,

Bruce

Upvote 0
G

gideons300

Helpless Lamb - Quitting college is NOT going to help you become a teacher, accountant, or whatever you are studying. If you don't like your major, then change it. If you are intelligent enough to earn a degree, then earn it, unless you have a good job already lined up.
If you want to study the Bible, no one is stopping you.
As I said before, if you are looking for an excuse to quit, you won't get one from me. It looks like you'll get one from some of the other people on this site.
John, I am not trying to be rude but why the attitutude? This brother asked a sincere question. It may have youthful enthusiasm in his excitement in his newfound faith but he said nothing about looking for an excuse to quit school. That was your spin on it.

Frankly, I think you need to re-examine how you have shared. It certainly does not come across as love, at least to me.

Be blessed, and let us, above all else, love one another.

Bruce

Upvote 0
Nov 26, 2010
✟7,634.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Thanks for all the replies! Yes, it is quite amazing being filled with a joy that makes your heart fill like it will burst.

Not liking what I am doing is not the problem. I love my major, and I am looking to go to law school in the fall. I guess some concern would be that I fill like I could do so much more just dropping everything worldly. I am afraid that studying law 24/7 could be a hindrance to my relationship with God.

My problem goes beyond schooling though. The shirt I'm wearing is a nice polo. I could easily have just never bought that shirt, and instead, use the money to give to the cause of Christ.

It's the little things like watching television, surfing the Internet, listening to music, reading fiction, texting on my expensive phone, etc. I am not "addicted" to these things, but I do partake in them.

I feel like these things are of the world. I feel like anything that isn't promoting our God is of the world. I just question whether it would be best to purge all things associated with the world, whether it be studying at a university to spending money, so that I may come closer to the Lord.

However, I realize that becoming completely devoted to Christ while completely dropping any connection to worldly thoughts and possessions is not easy to do. Yet, if God calls me to do it, then I will gladly and willingly oblige. I just need to know for certain first, before I do it.

Sorry for such a long post, but this has been eating away at me. Again, I appreciate all of the replies, and I am seriously taking everything posted into consideration.

Upvote 0
Dec 22, 2010
New York
✟7,810.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for all the replies! Yes, it is quite amazing being filled with a joy that makes your heart fill like it will burst.

Not liking what I am doing is not the problem. I love my major, and I am looking to go to law school in the fall. I guess some concern would be that I fill like I could do so much more just dropping everything worldly. I am afraid that studying law 24/7 could be a hindrance to my relationship with God.

My problem goes beyond schooling though. The shirt I'm wearing is a nice polo. I could easily have just never bought that shirt, and instead, use the money to give to the cause of Christ.

It's the little things like watching television, surfing the Internet, listening to music, reading fiction, texting on my expensive phone, etc. I am not "addicted" to these things, but I do partake in them.

I feel like these things are of the world. I feel like anything that isn't promoting our God is of the world. I just question whether it would be best to purge all things associated with the world, whether it be studying at a university to spending money, so that I may come closer to the Lord.

However, I realize that becoming completely devoted to Christ while completely dropping any connection to worldly thoughts and possessions is not easy to do. Yet, if God calls me to do it, then I will gladly and willingly oblige. I just need to know for certain first, before I do it.

Sorry for such a long post, but this has been eating away at me. Again, I appreciate all of the replies, and I am seriously taking everything posted into consideration.

Brother,(or Sister) You are Truly Pleasing to The Lord. Keep listening to HIS voice, and no one elses. Jesus bless you. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

John S

I'm Here - For Now
Nov 19, 2010
✟11,359.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
A Helpless Lamb - You can be a lawyer and also be a follower of Jesus Christ at the same time. If you don't think that you can, then go into teaching or some other community service.
What would you do with your life by "dropping everything worldly"?
I apologize if I sound like your father.
Good Luck with whatever you decide to do.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Hi guys,

The first calling of any Christian is to accept who God has called him to be. Yours is to be a university student, so you have to find a way to continue your studies, and honour God through those studies.

He will then show you how to use those studies, and your eventual degree, to further his Kingdom.

God does not call any of us to throw away anything valuable about ourselves or our lives, and to simply drop out and preach on the streets. That is not the gospel, that is an impulse born of immaturity and not a little self indulgence.

Talk to your minister; I am sure he or she will be able to explain this to you.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed

Talk to your minister about a career in the ministry. Do not change anything and do not stop your studies. Find out whatever you can, and then make a considered decision, but bear in mind that 100% certainty never comes in this life. You may have to settle for 80 or 90%.

As for the television etc; pray. There is nothing wrong with watching television, but you are right to question everything, and reconsider everything. Just be careful not to throw away the baby with the bathwater. :)

Upvote 0
G

gideons300

Talk to your minister about a career in the ministry. Do not change anything and do not stop your studies. Find out whatever you can, and then make a considered decision, but bear in mind that 100% certainty never comes in this life. You may have to settle for 80 or 90%.

As for the television etc; pray. There is nothing wrong with watching television, but you are right to question everything, and reconsider everything. Just be careful not to throw away the baby with the bathwater. :)
Sister, I do not wanto to sound like a law giver, for that is what Jesus has freed us from. There are no more "rules". Praise God. But Paul says clearly that although all things are now lawful, all things are not expedient. All things do not build us up or edify us. We are counseled to think on whatsoever si good and pure and of good report. We are exhorted to "Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world, for all that is in the world, the lusts of the flesh, the lusts of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father."

As to television, certainly there are programs that fulfill this criteria for being edifying but in my experience, the vast majority of programming is filled with things contrary to God. Sex, drugs, profanity, violence, hate, adultery, worldy lusts. If we have a hard time picturing Jesus sitting down and watching Californication, then there is a message there to us.

In addition, it can simply be a waste of our precious time. Relaxation is one thing. Spiritual sleep is another. To say that there is nothing wrong with television is a thought planted by the enemy of our souls, and especially, as we see that day approaching, we are to run our race as if there is but one prize.

I am not judging here, and hope you take this in the spirit of love it is offered. I myself have been a TV addict, as are so many and know how it can be made to be so "innocent". Our enemy is very good at what he does. Let's be on guard.

Blessings,

Bruce

Upvote 0