rissasallwrite

Aug 4, 2016
US
✟15,134.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I recently had a season where I wasn't very close to God and so I began to unconsciencly idolize a band and obsess over them and such, but I went to a Christian conference which got me back on track. So now, how can I turn my thoughts from that band to thoughts to God? And can I still listen to that band's music, or should I completely stop listening to them?
I want to follow and glorify God, not that particular band, but I don't exactly know how.

Last edited:

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Good question. Pray and listen to God to tell you. Back when I was in college I realized I had idolized a few bands myself and got rid of my recordings of them. That was over 40 years ago. Some God let me listen to (years later) and some not.

Upvote 0

TheGoodLight

Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2016
PA
✟412,481.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I think it's common for younger folk especially to slip into that territory when it comes to bands, and also other people whose work we appreciate or otherwise enjoy, such as presidents, football players, and video game developers. When our enjoyment/appreciation for them (and we certainly should enjoy and appreciate what we like) strays into that territory, certainly, it is time for reflection.

Asking God for His guidance is certainly an excellent idea. Being reflective on what led to the state/experience is also key. When we strive to learn/grow from these experiences, we become better for it!

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think it's common for younger folk especially to slip into that territory when it comes to bands, and also other people whose work we appreciate or otherwise enjoy, such as presidents, football players, and video game developers. When our enjoyment/appreciation for them (and we certainly should enjoy and appreciate what we like) strays into that territory, certainly, it is time for reflection.

Asking God for His guidance is certainly an excellent idea. Being reflective on what led to the state/experience is also key. When we strive to learn/grow from these experiences, we become better for it!
I think that the lyrics count for a lot.

Here's Disciple's Radical, with lyrics:

Upvote 0