Icons

S

SeventhValley

Could Icons be Christianity in picture form instead of word form?

I went to a Christian book store the other day and saw lots of inspirational books and art work with Jesus on them. I saw kids book with him. If Icons are telling a story I guess they are o.k. Sometimes putting a lesson in picture form helps a teacher get a point across.

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
yep, we in the 21st century tend to forget that the Church was illiterate throughout most of her history. icons were ways that told the Gospel to those folks, and, I dare say, even teach us modern know it alls a thing or two.

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Icons in Orthodoxy must follow strict rules in how their depicted. But yes a primary aspect of icons is to teach the gospel in picture form. This was even stated during the proceedings of the 7th Ecumenical council:

Moreover, I am well pleased that there should be images in the churches of the faithful, especially the image of our Lord Jesus Christ and of the holy Mother of God, of every kind of material, both gold and silver and of every colour, so that his incarnation may be set forth to all men. Likewise there may be painted the lives of the Saints and Prophets and Martyrs, so that their struggles and agonies may be set forth in brief, for the stirring up and teaching of the people, especially of the unlearned. (session 1)

Upvote 0

StarOfSorrow

Feb 1, 2013
✟327.00
Faith
Celtic Catholic
Marital Status
Private
the_theotokos_of_guadalupe_by_lordshadowblade-d5o75yf.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Could Icons be Christianity in picture form instead of word form?

I went to a Christian book store the other day and saw lots of inspirational books and art work with Jesus on them. I saw kids book with him. If Icons are telling a story I guess they are o.k. Sometimes putting a lesson in picture form helps a teacher get a point across.
The way I was told by Coptic Orthodox, the imagery that surrounds the sanctuary tells a story and each image is a reminder of the Hall of Witnesses (Hebrews 11) that we're surrounded by - from Noah to Moses to David and so many others.

During one Oriential Orthodox service, after all of the prayers/liturgy were done, the priest came and shared his message---specifically, on Titus 3 and other scriptures discussing how Christians are to be peaceable/bless everyone since we're "children of the light." And one of the most powerful things he did was talk about how we live our lives today is to be in light of eternity since we're just passing through---and then he pointed to an Icon of Christ on top of the entrance to the sanctuary. It was a portait of the Lord in His resurrected state and returning in glory. When the priest was speaking, he noted how everyone was to look at the icon and remember that they were to leave the church and enter the world outside in the rememberance of their belonging to Christ---and that He would carry them through. The visual dynamic helped me to connect things.

After the sermon was done, we had some very excellent time of fellowship with the people. I was very glad I was able to talk with the priest and have some wonderful discussion with him and find out more on some of the questions I had. Some things I learned from him was how iconagraphy was something done because Egyptians at one point didn't have the written Word/Scriptures---and thus, pictures were needed to illustrate what the Bible said. It was cool to see since the ways I'd often seen iconagraphy was in the sense of reminders of what scripture notes and as an expression of worship---but I never saw it as something done for practical purposes of helping others learn when there no other outlets.

And of course, the spiritual dynamic is ever-present as well. To use a very contemporary parallel to this, praying before an icon is akin to using the other icons in our culture..those on a computer desktop. To use those icons, you click it and the program opens. The little icon is not the program, but rather it is the link that is the access to that computer program--and likewise, the icon is a simple link. By prayerfully viewing one, it is the goal that one becomes involved in what is depicted....

Iconographer David Mastroberte is a great individual to review, as he explains the theology of icons in this lecture (i..e "The Theology of Icons" ) given February 8, 2010 at Christ the Savior Orthodox Church in Johnstown, Pennsylvania. The lecture is in mp3format and lasts about 50 minutes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Subscribing for further study.
Gxg (G²);62396757 said:
The way I was told by Coptic Orthodox, the imagery that surrounds the sanctuary tells a story and each image is a reminder of the Hall of Witnesses (Hebrews 11) that we're surrounded by - from Noah to Moses to David and so many others.

During one Oriential Orthodox service, after all of the prayers/liturgy were done, the priest came and shared his message---specifically, on Titus 3 and other scriptures discussing how Christians are to be peaceable/bless everyone since we're "children of the light." And one of the most powerful things he did was talk about how we live our lives today is to be in light of eternity since we're just passing through---and then he pointed to an Icon of Christ on top of the entrance to the sanctuary. It was a portait of the Lord in His resurrected state and returning in glory. When the priest was speaking, he noted how everyone was to look at the icon and remember that they were to leave the church and enter the world outside in the rememberance of their belonging to Christ---and that He would carry them through. The visual dynamic helped me to connect things.

After the sermon was done, we had some very excellent time of fellowship with the people. I was very glad I was able to talk with the priest and have some wonderful discussion with him and find out more on some of the questions I had. Some things I learned from him was how iconagraphy was something done because Egyptians at one point didn't have the written Word/Scriptures---and thus, pictures were needed to illustrate what the Bible said. It was cool to see since the ways I'd often seen iconagraphy was in the sense of reminders of what scripture notes and as an expression of worship---but I never saw it as something done for practical purposes of helping others learn when there no other outlets.

And of course, the spiritual dynamic is ever-present as well. To use a very contemporary parallel to this, praying before an icon is akin to using the other icons in our culture..those on a computer desktop. To use those icons, you click it and the program opens. The little icon is not the program, but rather it is the link that is the access to that computer program--and likewise, the icon is a simple link. By prayerfully viewing one, it is the goal that one becomes involved in what is depicted....

Iconographer David Mastroberte is a great individual to review, as he explains the theology of icons in this lecture (i..e "The Theology of Icons" ) given February 8, 2010 at Christ the Savior Orthodox Church in Johnstown, Pennsylvania. The lecture is in mp3format and lasts about 50 minutes.

Upvote 0