Visit site
✟64,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
there is considerable debate on this. the issue depends on Who Daniel saw as the Ancient of Days in his vision in Daniel 7. I've seen seemingly good arguments both ways - that it was the Logos, or that it was the Father. I recently saw a good argument from Fr. John Whiteford that it was the Father -- I'll see if I can find it.

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Iconographers normally represent the father with a beam of light. The "old man" type are heretical because the Father never became human. The only icon that comes to mind where the Father and the Spirit are portrayed other than light and a dove is the Old Testament Trinity icon where the three angels are with Abraham. And in this special case, Scripture says that there were three angels.

Upvote 0

Kristos

Servant
Aug 30, 2006
Minnesota
✟37,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I saw online what appears to be an icon of God the Father. I understand the Orthodox argument for making icons of Christ, but is it possible to justify making an icon of the Father? Would that be common in Orthodoxy?

No, there is no icon of the Father or the Holy Spirit. Icons depicting specific events or visions recorded in scripture may represent the event as traditionally interpreted. In a few cases there might some variation here (is the Ancient of Days the Father or the Son, as already mentioned), but in general event icons maintain a base uniformity aligned with Tradition. Theophany is a classic event icon that represents the Holy Spirit like a dove as recorded in scripture, but that representation cannot be decontextualized into an icon of the Holy Spirit that is a dove.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,464,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
it's a general no no, but you do see it from time to time, especially as the Ancient of Days. I would point out that God the Father is on the Kursk Root Icon, so there are some holy icons that have Him on them.

but I would say they are rare if you find them

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The thing is there is no icon of God the Father which is meant to be a depiction of Daniels vision. Daniel 7 in icons is usually the river of fire icon with Christ being depicted. The icons which have depictions of God the Father at the monastery of St Katherine at Sinai date to the 17th century. On the other hand they also house the oldest icon of the Ancient of Days known to exist from the 6-7 th century and the incription reads: 'Immanuel'

Ironically the article Jack posted has a trinity icon which depicts Christ incarnate and Christ as ancient of days.ie

Upvote 0