Feb 6, 2002
✟56,948.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
This is a question for our iconographers and seminarians...and well for any one who wants to throw in their 2 cents :p

I am exploring the idea of having an icon made of Elder Iakavos (Tsalikis) of Evia. He is one of the Elders who is on the short list of those (rumored) to soon be canonized along with the likes of Elder Paisios and a few others.

Although he is not canonized I have seen icons of Elders before just without the title of saint and no halo.

I would like to know if it would be appropriate to have such an icon made? If so, would it be improper to have the iconographer include the skull of St. David in the icon since it was often a source of comfort and miracles in the life of Elder Iakavos?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,092.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Below is a painting someone had done of Elder Porphyrios years before his canonisation. They didn't paint a halo, but the trees in the background formed something easily recognisable as such ;)

IMG_0972-727400.jpg

I don't see a problem with what you are suggesting but I'm not an iconographer.

Upvote 0

jckstraw72

Doin' that whole Orthodox thing
Dec 9, 2005
South Canaan, PA
Visit site
✟64,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
i don't see any problem with it - as you've said it's already a practice to have icons of uncanonized Saints - i don't see icons as a declaration that this person is canonized, but that this person bore the light of Christ

Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟117,925.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Though I would note that you would probably have to find an iconographer that agrees with your sentiment about the guy, since the act of painting an icon is an act of prayer and perhaps of some discernment as well. However, I don't think it's rude to inquire.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have seen plenty of pre-glorification icons with halos. Fr Seraphim Rose, Elder Joseph the hesychast, Bishop Arseny of Winnepeg, Mat Olga Michael, etc are all those "on the waiting list" of official sainthood, yet I have seen plenty of icons with halos. I think the only thing is that it should be for personal veneration and not in a Church.

Upvote 0

Joseph Hazen

The Religious Loudmouth
May 2, 2011
The Silent Planet
✟17,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yeah I'm with Army Matt. My understanding was you can have an icon, even with halo, for any reposed Orthodox Christian you would like, but it is *only* for personal veneration. You cannot have a service for them in the church or anything like that.

I might remember suggestions that they're not put in your 'official' icon corner, but who knows.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Below is a painting someone had done of Elder Porphyrios years before his canonisation. They didn't paint a halo, but the trees in the background formed something easily recognisable as such ;)

IMG_0972-727400.jpg

I don't see a problem with what you are suggesting but I'm not an iconographer.

My first thought at seeing that painting with your description was amusement. But then I thought about it, and there's something profound there. I don't know Elder Porphyrios' story that well (bought a little booklet about him recently though and am reading it). But certain people it could be even more profound to think of creation showing forth a bit of their light - I hope I'm saying this in the right terms.

For example, St. Seraphim of Sarov would seem to provide a good and well-known example of what I'm talking about, if he wasn't already canonized.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
But certain people it could be even more profound to think of creation showing forth a bit of their light - I hope I'm saying this in the right terms.

you are. the truly holy people have a relationship with Creation much more like Adam's before the Fall.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
you are. the truly holy people have a relationship with Creation much more like Adam's before the Fall.

Thank you for understanding what I meant, and putting it in those terms. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums