✟20,953.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Hello everyone of The Lord's Table - Liberal Catholics forum,

I thought I would take a few moments to introduce myself and break the ice. Although my username says One Voice Among Many, I am also known as Red Fox among my friends. While I am not Catholic, I lean more to the left in my politics. I came to this forum because I wanted to fellowship and have discussions with other Christians who are also liberal in their politics. I thought maybe we could liven things up a little and get this fellowship thread going. Although I am a guest here, I would very much like to see this forum blossom. I sure could use the fellowship, without stress. Thank you for listening. I appreciate it very much. So, who is next to introduce themselves?

Many blessings to everyone,
Red Fox

Martinius

Catholic disciple of Jesus
Jul 2, 2010
The woods and lakes of the Great North
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Red Fox.

I was following a member with that name; are you her? It is confusing when members have more than one user name on the forums. If you are the same person, we have dialogued in some threads before.

Anyway, glad to have you here. As you have noticed, this is a fairly quiet sub-forum. Once in a while somebody starts a thread and a discussion gets going, but sometimes the OP is from outside the group and comes here to challenge people. But most of the real fighting occurs at the OBOB forum, where Catholics and non-Catholics of all persuasions duke it out regularly.

I don't think we can assume that all those who consider themselves liberal Catholics are also politically liberal, but that is often the case. The problem is that some on the conservative side label liberal Catholics as opposing ALL the teachings of the Church, or being pro-abortion without restriction. We are often considered heretics.

I can't speak for others here, but I consider myself a liberal Catholic in the vein of Pope Francis, or John XXIII. And as other well-known Catholics are, including a large number of priests, bishops, Cardinals, theologians, authors, etc. This would be in contrast to a Benedict XVI, or a Pius IX or Pius X (keeping in mind that to some on the ultra-right, Benedict was way too liberal, which shows you that this is often a matter of perspective). This may have little meaning to a non-Catholic, but this if often how Catholics view their positions (being a JPII Catholic or a John XXIII Catholic. or a pastoral Catholic vs. a doctrinal Catholic).

The best way to increase activity here would be to start a thread or two. So, ask a question or two. And welcome aboard.

Upvote 0

One Voice Among Many1

Nov 16, 2015
✟20,953.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Hello Martinius. Yes, that was me. I changed usernames for personal reasons, but it is me. And thank you for your response. I appreciate it very much. I came to this forum hoping to escape the drama of the OBOB. It gets tiresome after some time and I need a break from the strife. I did have a couple of ideas for new threads though.

Upvote 0

Martinius

Jul 2, 2010
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello Martinius. Yes, that was me. I changed usernames for personal reasons, but it is me. And thank you for your response. I appreciate it very much. I came to this forum hoping to escape the drama of the OBOB. I did have a couple of ideas for new threads though.
Fire away. Keep in mind that some of the same people who bring drama to OBOB will sometimes stick their heads in here and disrupt threads. I am curious if you have an interest in Catholicism or have had some experience with it, such as with a family member?

Upvote 0

One Voice Among Many1

Nov 16, 2015
✟20,953.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Fire away. Keep in mind that some of the same people who bring drama to OBOB will sometimes stick their heads in here and disrupt threads. I am curious if you have an interest in Catholicism or have had some experience with it, such as with a family member?

I will keep that in mind. Thank you. And yes, I do have some interest in Catholicism. I also have some good friends on this site who are Catholic.

Upvote 0

Martinius

Jul 2, 2010
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's great. Peace and blessings on your search and on your journey. Keep in mind that neither will ever end. Anyone who thinks they have completed the journey has stopped way short.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I don't think we can assume that all those who consider themselves liberal Catholics are also politically liberal
Interesting point Marty. I may in fact look quite conservative amongst all political liberals.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I like to think we are a group who can take our "catholic" hat off now and then. Surely we are all human beings who want the same thing: happiness in this life and the next if possible.

Upvote 0

Martinius

Jul 2, 2010
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I like to think we are a group who can take our "catholic" hat off now and then. Surely we are all human beings who want the same thing: happiness in this life and the next if possible.
Good point. Too many people look at everything from their own narrow perspective. Like trying to view the whole world while looking through a tiny window. Actually, more than a hat, it sometimes appears to be Catholic blinders. In all fairness, there are Evangelical blinders, and Baptist blinders, and Orthodox blinders, etc., as well.

And then, one must determine what happiness really is. For some, it is material wealth or fame. For others it is "knowing" they are right about everything, having all the answers, especially about God and religion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Martinius

Jul 2, 2010
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good morning. I hope everyone has a blessed and peaceful day today.
Thank you, and you as well. For me, the day will be blessed and peaceful unless I, by my own thoughts, decisions and actions, prevent it from being so. It is not what happens to us externally as much as how we internally deal with life that determines how each of our days evolves

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Cappadocious

Sep 29, 2012
✟30,661.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Not sure what you mean.
But I suppose a lot of religions would say that "pleasing God" is their main happiness.
I mean,

Sometimes I want to catch the bus when I'm running late. And I don't want to catch the bus because it will give me pleasure or reduce pain. I want it because I want it.

Upvote 0

Martinius

Jul 2, 2010
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not sure what you mean.
But I suppose a lot of religions would say that "pleasing God" is their main happiness.
What pleases God? How do we please God? And does it make us happy? Is that like trying to please your parents or your teacher? Does doing so make you happy, or does getting rewarded for pleasing them make you happy?

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
What pleases God? How do we please God? And does it make us happy? Is that like trying to please your parents or your teacher? Does doing so make you happy, or does getting rewarded for pleasing them make you happy?
wish I could answer you well marty but... :)
as opposed to pleasing myself, my own desires. The implication being that by "worshipping" God, I am not worshipping false idols such as money, status, reputation, physical gratification. I'm starting to sound like a conservative, am I? :)

Upvote 0