Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Hello all :) I'm doing some research on the Eastern Orthodox church because I have two characters for a book I'm writing raised as Orthodox Christian (primarily Russian and Bulgarian Orthodox) and I was wondering if I could ask some questions about it? I'm still doing my research, but I'm kind of stuck on a few things.

I'm mostly confused if there's any differences with each of the Orthodox churches? Or do they all practice the same thing?

And one more thing, unless I'm missing it and not typing it in correctly, like some denominations (like Catholicism), do you pray to just God or do you pray to any of the saints or the Virgin Mary?

I'm sorry if this isn't allowed or if I somehow offended someone ;;

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟425,727.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hello all :) I'm doing some research on the Eastern Orthodox church because I have two characters for a book I'm writing raised as Orthodox Christian (primarily Russian and Bulgarian Orthodox) and I was wondering if I could ask some questions about it? I'm still doing my research, but I'm kind of stuck on a few things.

I'm mostly confused if there's any differences with each of the Orthodox churches? Or do they all practice the same thing?

And one more thing, unless I'm missing it and not typing it in correctly, like some denominations (like Catholicism), do you pray to just God or do you pray to any of the saints or the Virgin Mary?

Hey there, welcome to TAW! :wave: You're more than welcome to stick around and ask questions about Holy Orthodoxy, there's some brilliant and wise folks around here (though I'm not one of them, haha).

I'm still on the road to becoming Orthodox so I would suggest taking my response with a grain of salt because I don't have a full understanding of what the Church teaches, I have a lot yet left to learn but I'll take a stab at it anyway.

To answer your first question, you will find that the differences are largely cultural but ultimately it's the same from Russian to Greek to Antiochian. In fact, I was just reading an article or a blog (I can't remember which) the other day in which the man noted that he and his wife are Orthodox and how great it felt to go to the Orthodox Church in Kampala, Uganda and experience the exact same liturgy (even though it was in the vernacular) that they experience at home in the U.S.

As to your second question, the Intercession of the Saints should be understood that the Saints are asked to pray for us and with us, but they're not prayed to as if they're standing in place of Christ. Some saints have an exceptional familiarity with different trials and tribulations or ailments and what not, so it would be appropriate to request that said Saint pray for you. In the same way that if you came down with a really bad cold, maybe you would ask a friend or family member whom had just recuperated from the same exact cold to pray for you because they would understand better than most what you are going through and how you are feeling so they also would know what to pray for.

...I want to ask forgiveness from my friends here in TAW if I've botched my understandings of these things and I hope I'm not speaking out of turn.

Upvote 0

-Kyriaki-

seeking answers in stillness
Sep 30, 2002
South Australia
Visit site
✟23,127.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hello all I'm doing some research on the Eastern Orthodox church because I have two characters for a book I'm writing raised as Orthodox Christian (primarily Russian and Bulgarian Orthodox) and I was wondering if I could ask some questions about it? I'm still doing my research, but I'm kind of stuck on a few things.

Sure! We love questions :)

Essentially, no. There are the odd breakaway Churches, but they are usually very small in number and fragmented. Every Orthodox Church (Russian, Serbian, Antiochian, whatever) has a Patriarch (or in some cases an Archbishop, Greece is weird) who holds the same rank as the Pope does in the RCC, but they all have equal rank and work in council and can't interfere with each others Churches directly. Cultural practice (language used or a few local customs etc) varies, but doctrinally and in most practices we are the same, and more importantly we are in Communion - we can commune with each other and pray with each other.

We pray to and worship God. We do ask the Saints for their prayers though, since they aren't dead, they are alive in Christ. "Saint X, pray unto God for me..." etc. And yes we ask the Virgin Mary for help and prayers a lot.

Not at all :) Feel free to stick around.

Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Hello. I doubt that any of us will be offended by this thread. You are certainly welcome to be here.

All the Orthodox churches are the same. The only main differences are things like the style of singing and a few other "cosmetic" things.

We don't believe that anyone is God except for God, and no one can take his place. But Christ took on flesh, and we cannot have Christ without His body. We do not believe that we can separate the Church, since Christ is not divided. Thus, those who have "died" (there is no death in Christ) are still a very active part of the life of the Church, and we include them in our struggles. We ask for their intercessions, and we honor the work that Christ has done in their lives, since, as His body, their lives (just like our lives) are extensions of Christ's life. So yes, we pray to them, but not in the same sense that we pray to God. They are people, not God.

I hope that helps. Feel free to ask whatever you need.

Upvote 0

AndreasProtoklitos

Now with less Sodium!
Nov 8, 2012
Virginia
✟7,668.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Why not visit a Russian or Bulgarian church for services? You would get a far better understanding by seeing it in action and speaking with Orthodox Christians in real life than anything we could tell you. :)

In Christ,
Andrrw

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

welcome to TAW!

the differences are merely cultural. the Antiochians have a unique Antiochian custom, but the are theologically the same as Russians, Bulgarians, Greeks, etc.

as far as prayer to Mary and the saints. we do petition them for their prayers to God, which is vastly different than worshipping God. we ask them for their prayers because they are alive in Christ, so no different than asking a pastor for his prayer.

no offense taken! tis good stuff!

Upvote 0

chaoticfirefly

reform jew
May 20, 2011
Visit site
✟109,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Thank you for all of your answers! Much appreciated. Since it's cultural, it works out perfect.

And, I would love to, but the closest Orthodox Church is about an hour drive away, in a bigger city.

And @Cappadocious, that's a complicated question. Mainly, it's a growing up type of story for YA and religion is a really big part of their lives and has a lot of value to one of the characters.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
And, I would love to, but the closest Orthodox Church is about an hour drive away, in a bigger city.

And @Cappadocious, that's a complicated question. Mainly, it's a growing up type of story for YA and religion is a really big part of their lives and has a lot of value to one of the characters.

bummer, what town are you near, if you don't mind my asking. there are sometimes parishes and missions that are right under our noses that we don't see off the bat.

and story sounds pretty interesting.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cappadocious

Sep 29, 2012
✟30,661.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0