I was Baptized a couple of years ago, I'm unsure if I was fully submerged?

Live for God

Apr 23, 2013
✟7,976.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Okay, I think I was about 13 years old when I got Baptized and I am 23 years old now. The Baptism took place in a small swimming pool of a Church. I remember being dunked under water which was kind of deep so at this point I didn't doubt my Baptism. a few days later I remember my Mum saying she wasn't sure if I was fully submerged under the water so ever since then I have doubted my baptism.

I'm unsure if I was totally submerged under water because of what my mum said, I think I maybe was but I don't know and I don't think maybe is good enough in this situation.

Should I arrange to be baptized again or would this be wrong and insulting the Holy Spirit?

What do you think about if I don't get re-baptized and if I wasn't fully submerged on my Baptism ??

thanks

Avid

A Pilgrim and a Sojourner...
Sep 21, 2013
✟13,263.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
... Should I arrange to be baptized again or would this be wrong and insulting the Holy Spirit?
It is not wrong to be baptized a second time. If it is what you'd like to do, you can do it often. Questions will arise, though, if you are bothering to do it more than the second time.

Didn't you pose a similar question for discussion a few months ago here? It is not a problem for you to be baptized again if you are concerned. If you feel a leading of the LORD to do it (the best reason to do just about anything,) it may be important to do so.

I cannot tell you if it is a problem for you not being fully confident about the procedure before. It may insult the people who were involved in your other baptism, but it is not wrong before the LORD to be SURE that this is done correctly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Live for God

Apr 23, 2013
✟7,976.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It is not wrong to be baptized a second time. If it is what you'd like to do, you can do it often. Questions will arise, though, if you are bothering to do it more than the second time.

We had a similar discussion a few months ago here. It is not a problem for you to be baptized again if you are at all concerned. If you feel a leading of the LORD to do it (the best reason to do just about anything,) it may be important to do so.

I cannot tell you if it is a problem for you not being fully confident about the procedure before. It may insult the people who were involved in your other baptism, but it is not wrong before the LORD to be SURE that this is done correctly.

Will it be offending or blaspheming the Holy Spirit if I got baptized again?

What if I don't get baptized again and what if I wasn't fully submerged on my Baptism ?

Upvote 0

Avid

Sep 21, 2013
✟13,263.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Thank you, Can you cover this question please?

What if I don't get Baptized again and if I wasn't fully submerged in my Baptism?

Thank you and God Bless
Did you not like the answers you got above, or what was said a few months ago on this question? How does it matter to anyone, but you? If God is leading you to have this done again, it is something you should do.

If you are racked with concern, do it again. If you are being pestered by someone other than the LORD or the Church where you think it was not done right, ignore them, and seek the LORD. Pray to the LORD about it. Seek His face. Ask Him to give you peace in your heart that it is alright the way it is, or an urgency to be baptized again.

I was not there, but you were, and the LORD was there. Ask Him.

Upvote 0

BornAgainBrian

The Honourable Schoolboy
Dec 23, 2014
Wahiawa, HI
✟16,392.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't see the baptismal waters as the river Styx of mythology... if your heel stays dry, it's not vulnerable. The important thing is that you obey God. He commanded baptism and you obeyed. If you are truly concerned, find a minister at the church where would be baptized (for the second time) and talk it over. I'd say that disclosing your concerns to the would-be baptizing minister would make for either an enthusiastic "Get on in" or a reassuring "You've got nothing to worry about".

Reactions: Saricharity
Upvote 0

Live for God

Apr 23, 2013
✟7,976.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Did you not like the answers you got above, or what was said a few months ago on this question? How does it matter to anyone, but you? If God is leading you to have this done again, it is something you should do.

If you are racked with concern, do it again. If you are being pestered by someone other than the LORD or the Church where you think it was not done right, ignore them, and seek the LORD. Pray to the LORD about it. Seek His face. Ask Him to give you peace in your heart that it is alright the way it is, or an urgency to be baptized again.

I was not there, but you were, and the LORD was there. Ask Him.

I spoke to my Mum about it last night and she said what she meant when she said she wasn't sure if I was fully submerged is that she thought my nose was sticking out from above the water, she said the pastor should have told me to cover my nose and dunk me all the way in but she said I'll be fine. I DO need better reassurance than FINE though.

Upvote 0

Live for God

Apr 23, 2013
✟7,976.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't see the baptismal waters as the river Styx of mythology... if your heel stays dry, it's not vulnerable. The important thing is that you obey God. He commanded baptism and you obeyed. If you are truly concerned, find a minister at the church where would be baptized (for the second time) and talk it over. I'd say that disclosing your concerns to the would-be baptizing minister would make for either an enthusiastic "Get on in" or a reassuring "You've got nothing to worry about".

I spoke to my Mum about it last night and she said what she meant when she said she wasn't sure if I was fully submerged is that she thought my nose was sticking out from above the water, she said the pastor should have told me to cover my nose and dunk me all the way in but she said I'll be fine. I DO need better reassurance than FINE though.

The problem is about speaking to a Minister about it is that one particular Pastor may say get Baptized again whereas another Pastor may be totally against it so it's hard to know who to listen to, obviously God's answer on this is the most important but I often don't hear a reply when I ask him questions so I feel stuck in the middle on this matter to be honest with you.

Upvote 0

Avid

Sep 21, 2013
✟13,263.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
... I often don't hear a reply when I ask him questions ...
Now, THAT is something to be concerned about.

Our pastor said in a sermon that if someone moved into his house, HE WOULD CERTAINLY KNOW that happened! As a Christian, one that God has blessed with forgiveness and His Holy Spirit, we have God dwelling in our hearts. How can that happen, and we not know about it. If the Holy Spirit of God is living in your heart, He is there to Comfort, Guide and even, to a degree, control your thoughts and actions.

You should have immediate response to your desire for comfort about something the scripture say is part of your salvation. If you ask the LORD for understanding, you may not like the one who He sends to teach you. However, if there is an important issue (so important that you started two threads here,) you should be clear on the answer from God when you pray about it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Live for God

Apr 23, 2013
✟7,976.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Our pastor said in a sermon that if someone moved into his house, HE WOULD CERTAINLY KNOW that happened! As a Christian, one that God has blessed with forgiveness and His Holy Spirit, we have God dwelling in our hearts. How can that happen, and we not know about it. If the Holy Spirit of God is living in your heart, He is there to Comfort, Guide and even, to a degree, control your thoughts and actions.

You should have immediate response to your desire for comfort about something the scripture say is part of your salvation. If you ask the LORD for understanding, you may not like the one who He sends to teach you. However, if there is an important issue (so important that you started two threads here,) you should be clear on the answer from God when you pray about it.

In what way do you mean it is something I should be concerned about? are you relating to the baptism here?

Upvote 0

Avid

Sep 21, 2013
✟13,263.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
... obviously God's answer on this is the most important but I often don't hear a reply when I ask him questions...

--- etc.---

In what way do you mean it is something I should be concerned about? are you relating to the baptism here?
Did you read the replies I wrote? If you are not getting answers from God in your heart, you have much to be concerned about.

You might get baptized every week or every day, but if this is your problem, all that baptizing will be of little benefit.

Upvote 0

Live for God

Apr 23, 2013
✟7,976.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Did you read the replies I wrote? If you are not getting answers from God in your heart, you have much to be concerned about.

You might get baptized every week or every day, but if this is your problem, all that baptizing will be of little benefit.

What may cause me to not receive answers from God in my heart?

Upvote 0

Bob Carabbio

Old guy -
Dec 22, 2010
Glenn Hts. TX
✟35,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What do you think about if I don't get re-baptized and if I wasn't fully submerged on my Baptism ??

TOTALLY UNIMPORTANT!!!!!!

You were Baptized, and that's that.

There probably are some hyperlegalistic religionists (and satan also, of course) that would like to sow some doubt, probably, but you can tell 'em to take their confusion, and stick it where the sun don't shine.

Simple as that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟651,120.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

There probably are some hyperlegalistic religionists (and satan also, of course) that would like to sow some doubt, probably, but you can tell 'em to take their confusion, and stick it where the sun don't shine.

Simple as that.

Amen to that! What did Paul say in Romans 10:13? "for "WHOEVER WILL CALL ON THE NAME OF THE LORD WILL BE SAVED."

Being baptized in a certain way, and making sure every square inch of your body is covered in water isn't what saves us. It is the sacrifice Jesus made for us on the cross and our acceptance of Him that saves us. His GRACE is what we are saved by, not our baptism. But Satan likes to keep us caught up in legalism and doubt.

Upvote 0

Live for God

Apr 23, 2013
✟7,976.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Simple as that.

Thank you very much for your reply, it was very interesting and reassuring.
MY Mum ( Mom) said what she meant by she weren't sure I was fully submerged is she thought my nose was above the water instead of beneath it so I'll assume my Nose didn't go under water though I'm not fully sure.

SO if I'm asked by a random person if I have been Baptized what shall I say?

God Bless

Upvote 0

JLR1300

Dec 16, 2012
Oklahoma
✟8,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
MY Mum ( Mom) said what she meant by she weren't sure I was fully submerged is she thought my nose was above the water instead of beneath it so I'll assume my Nose didn't go under water though I'm not fully sure.

God Bless

Just tell them that your body is a Christian but that your nose is a hell-bound unbelieving, unregenerate, unbaptized, unsanctified, and probably non-elect reprobate nose.

Actually you should just say yes.

Upvote 0

iambren

Mar 2, 2008
newark, ohio
✟12,121.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Your emphasis is in the wrong place. And it is a little insulting to God that you are wasting ALL this mental energy on a small piece of anatomy (nose) technically not submerged versus celebrating the new life represented by coming out of the water.

Now answer me this: let's suppose God knows about the nose(which He does) and maybe even an elbow that you don't even know didn't touch the water. Think...do you think He really cares? Really!? Or does he smile that another child of His was obedient to celebrate their love for the Lord by being baptized. Take it as a cute little fact in your personal journey and move on.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟651,120.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

God Bless

You say yes, because you were.

Remember the thief on the cross when Jesus was crucified? He was never baptized at all. Not a drop of water landed on him, and yet Jesus told him after the thief asked Jesus to remember him when He comes in His kingdom, "Today, you will be with me in paradise".

LiveForGod: It sounds to me like Jesus is more understanding than you're giving Him credit for.

Upvote 0