I want to be set free, and now maybe I can.

s1mp13m4n

Mar 9, 2011
Both
✟9,107.00
Country
Comoros
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Hello everyone. I have not been happy in church. When I was born again several years a go I got hooked up in a church that made God out to be some sort of genie and I never knew God. I only knew what I could get from Him if I had enough faith. I walked away from church because of that. I then did the more conservative thing. This choice ended up being legalistic and put God in some denominational Box. The church had 7000 people a service and was full of men in suits, six- seven figure incomes, and a lot of high education. I just did not fit in at all. It was as if you had to know someone, have money, or be a certain type of person to get anywhere or fit in.
I was told about a church in my area that was laid back, anyone was welcome, and the people would come in jeans, pony tales, and flip flops. There is no church membership, no numbers, no one was in a suit. This was my kind of church....or so I think. The church in name and purpose has been around since 1991 compared to the church I came from which was started in the 1950s. While I am excited about going to this new church, I am still a bit nervous about it. The title "non denominational" is messing with me a bit because of my past "word of faith" days. I would like your prayers and advice.....whatever that means. :) I like this new church because the people seem real and not legalistic. The church focuses on relationships, helping people, fellowship compared to tradition, time schedules, and being run like a business. This church has what seem to be "regular folks" in it rather than people with three Ph Ds who write commentaries and translate Bibles.
What does it mean to be non denominational? Is non denominational just another denomination who claims they are not one? Thank you for your help and prayers. I am excited about my new church while nervous at the same time.

seeingeyes

Nov 29, 2011
Backwoods, Ohio
✟27,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello everyone. I have not been happy in church. When I was born again several years a go I got hooked up in a church that made God out to be some sort of genie and I never knew God. I only knew what I could get from Him if I had enough faith. I walked away from church because of that. I then did the more conservative thing. This choice ended up being legalistic and put God in some denominational Box. The church had 7000 people a service and was full of men in suits, six- seven figure incomes, and a lot of high education. I just did not fit in at all. It was as if you had to know someone, have money, or be a certain type of person to get anywhere or fit in.
I was told about a church in my area that was laid back, anyone was welcome, and the people would come in jeans, pony tales, and flip flops. There is no church membership, no numbers, no one was in a suit. This was my kind of church....or so I think. The church in name and purpose has been around since 1991 compared to the church I came from which was started in the 1950s. While I am excited about going to this new church, I am still a bit nervous about it. The title "non denominational" is messing with me a bit because of my past "word of faith" days. I would like your prayers and advice.....whatever that means. :) I like this new church because the people seem real and not legalistic. The church focuses on relationships, helping people, fellowship compared to tradition, time schedules, and being run like a business. This church has what seem to be "regular folks" in it rather than people with three Ph Ds who write commentaries and translate Bibles.
What does it mean to be non denominational? Is non denominational just another denomination who claims they are not one? Thank you for your help and prayers. I am excited about my new church while nervous at the same time.

A non-denominational church is one that doesn't have oversight from a committee somewhere. One non-denominational church can be vastly different from the next. (I've seen non-denoms that are like both the first and the second churches you've described.)

In practice, it means that you'll have to judge the church individually.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just be sure the church group you are associated with is true to the Word of God fully, and has regular Bible studies, the Lord's table, and prayer meetings, beside preaching the clear Gospel message; and not just some opinions on a few verses. We learn about the Church God formed in Acts 2:41-42 and in the Epistles ---all else are the inventions of men.

Upvote 0

ALEA40

Nov 22, 2013
NC
✟8,167.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It sounds like the church I attend:) Their motto is "no perfect people allowed." It's very laid back and casual, but very spiritually moving and intense. Our church is all about helping people take their next step in their relationship with God, whether it's your first step or if you've been a christian for many years. Your church you referenced above seems to be similar. Sending prayers to you on your journey:prayer:

Upvote 0

Bramwell

Oct 24, 2012
✟8,411.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi Simp,

Thanks for sharing about your experience with different church fellowships. The laid back church (where all are welcome - regardless of their wealth or level of education) sounds a lot more like the church Jesus had in mind than your old church. (Luke 6: 24-26)

I wouldn't get too hung up on denominational titles... including "non-denominational". I feel it's important to remember that being a member of a certain church (or denomination) is not what saves us. Believing in Jesus and loving Him with our heart is how we obtain salvation. We can do that within any church or denomination.

I say that as, even if your new church does not seem like an exact fit, you can still be right with God. Church fellowships are in many ways just a means to an end, i.e. a deeper relationship with the Father.

Upvote 0

s1mp13m4n

Mar 9, 2011
Both
✟9,107.00
Country
Comoros
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Can you explain more about the church making God out to be a genie.

Back when I was born again in 1995, I found my church from a late night church broadcast on a small UHF tv channel. The church was called FaithWorks. I know now that what the church did and what is was followed the teachings of the "word of faith" movement. I did not learn about grace, God's love for me, and how to have a personal relationship with Him. What I leafed was teachings from E. W. Kenyon, Kenneth Copeland, Fredrick K C Price, etc. I learned that God gave me promises and was bound by them. Therefor I could ask Him for anything such as money health, car, etc and He had to give it to me. What I learned was about what I could get from God rather than knowing Him personally as a friend and father. That is what I mean by "spiritual genie". When I was born again, I was not taught to read the Bible. Rather, I was taught at first by these two books...
http://www.amazon.com/Bible-Light-O...24311&sr=1-2&keywords=e+w+kenyon+bible+course

http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Bibl...24349&sr=1-1&keywords=e+w+kenyon+bible+course

I was a new Christian learning about tongues, healing, raising people from the dead, blood covenants, etc. I did not even know where to start reading my Bible....or what prayer was......or why Jesus loved me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FanthatSpark

LImited Understanding
Oct 3, 2013
✟78,811.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Blessings s1,

How does one impart church to the well read, wise and scholar to venture into Gods Spirit? Does one feel the need to drop religion and study the scripture with God as the guide to come to His understanding. Would one give diligence and obedience to what God imparted in scripture? What is the full meaning of Romans 12:2 ? Do you feel God is lucky to have you or visa-versa? How does the learned man of the world get to God?
Foundation shaking in a life's experience? A realization of just how small we are? What are you going to do with God found knowledge?

Those are "self" questions that only you and God are privy to and the list continues in "Intent". I too chased things of spirit that my body could feel "now" for reassurance of realness. I too went denomination in mans version of religion. Seasons of finding truth is where we all struggle. Your life's experiences "is" Gods process of "see that was hot and it burned".

I too came to God in what could he do for me, me, me. Being taught by expectancy of Gods...Anything, is were my own foundation was rocked to the core. All those ways of seeking truth through "taught" ways to perceive by ...Mankind. For me, s1, I had to take a continuous season to be taught by the Word and prayer. To see me exposed to self and know without a shadow of doubt that my way is no way.

It seems you are a brother seeking truth but rely on people to show you the way. This is how we all do it because people are all we got. Yet one day you read scripture and see a truth in people (me included). Thus, who is left s1? Who teaches you without people ? People showed how to read. People taught as far as they can teach thus 1 cor 13:11. That is maturity of Spirit and not your body. Some seek until there 60 years of age or later to come to the conclusion that no man can teach him about the Word except the Word/God. Some live entire life doing what was taught by mankind in religion or tradition .

Here in the following link will guide through Expositional Bible. However s1, the day approaches when mankind can teach nothing for those that hear.

Community Bible Church of Savannah#!

This site is given for study in your prayer closet to work on self for "who" is self s1?
You "are" the church brother. Matt 16:18 And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. Happy Hunting s1 !!

Gods Blessings in I Peter 1:3 in Easter s1.

Last edited:
Upvote 0