I think I'm about to get kicked out of Catholic Answers forum for this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shieldmaiden4Christ

Eastward bound
Aug 28, 2013
Where the Wild Things Are
✟16,564.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I got some message that said I couldn't post and then there was a thing that said something like "when is this lifted?" and the answer was "Never."

EDIT: Here's the actual message

Forum Message
Your account has been locked for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

This change will be lifted: Never

LOL. Oh, Catholic Answers ...

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's surprising, Rob, because on the radio he's the biggest legalistic, grumpy jerk of a priest! He's so heartless to some folks who call in. No pastoral skills at all when I listen to him. But who knows...

My friend, Bruce, was SO EXCITED to meet Father Mitch Pacwa in Hanford about five years back. When Father Mitch came, Bruce said he was the most bland, uninteresting wet blanket he'd ever met LOL

Having met Fr. Vincent Serpa once, while Roman Catholic, I have to say that I think he's one of the saintliest men I've ever met. That being said, the rest of the leadership at Catholic Answers are some of the biggest cowards I think I've ever encountered on the 'net. You're not the first I've known who was banned without being labeled as such.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yep!

Until Scott was banned, I had no clue, and I was on there for years before then. I also had no clue about how much they hack-jobbed the Fathers to get those quotes. That was the first major hit to my respect for them.

Upvote 0

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
From what I have heard, it isn't even just non-Catholics they go after. Catholics get banned a lot too, and sometimes for really bizarre things. I've heard of a lot of people getting banned for reporting threads:confused: with inappropriate comments, or asking what was going on with their accounts.

Upvote 0

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Until Scott was banned, I had no clue, and I was on there for years before then. I also had no clue about how much they hack-jobbed the Fathers to get those quotes. That was the first major hit to my respect for them.

Yeah, I found the hack-jobs a little shocking too. Some of the amateur apologist types just are in over their heads - you see that everywhere and its not malicious - but when it is by people who should know better it is very sad.

What I think I find most strange about it though is that it is really not necessary - there are plenty of smart, uber-wise, uber-educated patristics scholars that are Catholic and don't feel the need to do that to defend Catholicism - in fact the ones I know would be deeply shocked I think.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm telling ya, Eric Hilbert is a psychopath. That forum fundamentally changed the day he came onto the scene. I watched him throwing out infractions with abandon and banning people day one. Francis is a jerk, too, but Hilbert takes "jerkitude" to new heights!

From what I have heard, it isn't even just non-Catholics they go after. Catholics get banned a lot too, and sometimes for really bizarre things. I've heard of a lot of people getting banned for reporting threads:confused: with inappropriate comments, or asking what was going on with their accounts.

Upvote 0

Joseph Hazen

The Religious Loudmouth
May 2, 2011
The Silent Planet
✟17,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
That's surprising, Rob, because on the radio he's the biggest legalistic, grumpy jerk of a priest! He's so heartless to some folks who call in. No pastoral skills at all when I listen to him. But who knows..

Well, this was years ago, but I actually received Confession from him, and he gave me some counseling on a situation, and he was very calm, very helpful, very loving. I still hold him in great respect.

Granted, as a Roman I was very legalistic and proud too, so maybe I could've just enjoyed a like soul, but I really don't think so. He came across as very caring and humble.

Upvote 0

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I'm telling ya, Eric Hilbert is a psychopath. That forum fundamentally changed the day he came onto the scene. I watched him throwing out infractions with abandon and banning people day one. Francis is a jerk, too, but Hilbert takes "jerkitude" to new heights!

I suspect that he was hired to be a jerk. They gave him a mandate.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm going to report this post for using the word "uber" too much! Unacceptable! :p

Yeah, I found the hack-jobs a little shocking too. Some of the amateur apologist types just are in over their heads - you see that everywhere and its not malicious - but when it is by people who should know better it is very sad.

What I think I find most strange about it though is that it is really not necessary - there are plenty of smart, uber-wise, uber-educated patristics scholars that are Catholic and don't feel the need to do that to defend Catholicism - in fact the ones I know would be deeply shocked I think.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's a pretty incredible story! I had no idea you met him. Wow!

Well, this was years ago, but I actually received Confession from him, and he gave me some counseling on a situation, and he was very calm, very helpful, very loving. I still hold him in great respect.

Granted, as a Roman I was very legalistic and proud too, so maybe I could've just enjoyed a like soul, but I really don't think so. He came across as very caring and humble.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I remember considering joining the Secular Franciscans also, but at the time we were having kids and my job and all that, too much.

He was some sort of advisor for the Lay Dominicans at St. Mary's, that's how I met him. I wasn't one, but I had debated joining.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm sorry, but I couldn't let this go...a Neocon (neoconservative) is nearly the exact opposite of a Liberal.

Not quite, Obama is acting more like a NeoCon liberal with his aggressive stance against Syria and promotion of military muscle. I think it is a miracle of grace that Obama is now listening to Putin, and only because the majority of Americans do not want military action in Syria.

Back on topic: I was never impressed with Catholic Answers.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I got some message that said I couldn't post and then there was a thing that said something like "when is this lifted?" and the answer was "Never."

EDIT: Here's the actual message

Forum Message
Your account has been locked for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

This change will be lifted: Never

Consider that a badge of honor. You are among the chosen.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
This. As beautiful as the DL is, it's not as much about that as the doctrine of the EOC. As a lifelong post-Vatican II catholic, I can handle a dull liturgy with the best of them...
Would be cautious - in light of how that individual noted themselves to be Muslim/operating a false flag operation after getting caught - as seen in
Rasul from ShiaChat

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
RKO, I will give you a tip when I was struggling many years ago. I will not get into it all as it is a very long story. I started reading the Bible since 1972. There were many inconsistencies with what the church taught and what the Bible read. I got on my knees and asked God for the truth. I told Him that I did not care about what the truth was, so long as it was His truth. I am a born again Christian. I have a personal relationship with my Savior and I shed off the traditions of men. We have to get into the basic and simple truth. You will get your answer. You may have to empty yourself of all you were taught. God will lead you where you ought to be. Just trust Him. Read and study the Bible. His word, not man's is truth.

Really? Then why are you a Methodist? It is only 300 years old...not 2000.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Thank you Anhelyna.
Once more, for the record: I am NOT running from Catholicism. But I think Catholicism is running from me.

Orthodoxy IS Catholic...however, ROMAN Catholicism is not Orthodox.

Upvote 0

Dusky Mouse

Cats Are In Charge ~ Accept It!
Sep 25, 2013
Adelaide S.Australia
✟2,598.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
true
Must be the Halloween season that makes for all the Zombie threads that are appearing in these forums.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.