benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I really do not think those problems have been taken care of. The Church in America has not learned yet I'm afraid to say.

The reason why sex abuse is not rampart anymore is becuase they rarely have access to kids, not becuase the "Church" has taken measures. Parents have and no one is close to their priests anymore, having them over for dinner and stuff.

It's like trying to pull hen's teeth if you have a problem with a preist in a parish to get the Church to respond and they would still just ship him off somewhere and not correct the problem.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,402.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
And priests have been falsely accused as well.

The saintly Cardinal Bernardin of Chicago, for example, who preached and lived the "seamless garment" consistent life ethic.

The man who accused him of sexual abuse later dropped his lawsuit, stating that his memories, induced under hypnosis, were unreliable and inaccurate. A Dominican priest who was a longtime critic of Bernardin's apparently pressured and urged the accuser, Stephen Cook, to file a lawsuit against him.

In his book, "The Devil's Final Battle," the Dominican priest, Fr. Fiore, said:

By God's Providence, I was ordained to the priesthood as a Dominican in 1961, a year before the beginning of Vatican Council II.
I was 27, had grown up and was educated in the pre-Conciliar Church, so that at the Council's opening I stood between Tradition and the changes that would implode Catholicism over the next forty years.

Obviously Bernardin's chief fault was the audacity to promote a consistent life ethic, and for that he was hounded by a traditionalist vigilante.

Upvote 0

The saintly Cardinal Bernardin of Chicago, for example, who preached and lived the "seamless garment" consistent life ethic.

The man who accused him of sexual abuse later dropped his lawsuit, stating that his memories, induced under hypnosis, were unreliable and inaccurate.

A friend of mine is a psychologist who did an extensive study of "repressed memory syndrome", and his conclusion was that the majority of the time the "memories" were implanted into the patient through coercive therapy, and that the coercion was usually the unintentional result of poorly trained therapists. In other words, the motivation was not pernicious, but what the hell does that matter when the results were devastating to the falsely accused. His work focused largely on the insane Satanic Cult allegations that were quite pervasive not too long ago. Modern Salem Witch Trials.

I do not claim priest abuse did not occur, nor do I stand by the church and it's reckless and dangerous decisions to simply shuffle the clergy from place to place. That was disgraceful and will forever remain a stain on all Catholics.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
His work focused largely on the insane Satanic Cult allegations that were quite pervasive not too long ago.
a few years ago I had a wonderful conversation with a close friend of mine who is a few years older then me, we were talking about how my generation does not remember how crazy the "Satanic Cult" hype was, him and I were in the minority of my in my group of friends, in that we even knew what went on in the late 1970's through the 1980's, one of the more insane accusations was that one in ten americans were closet satanists

Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
a few years ago I had a wonderful conversation with a close friend of mine who is a few years older then me, we were talking about how my generation does not remember how crazy the "Satanic Cult" hype was, him and I were in the minority of my in my group of friends, in that we even knew what went on in the late 1970's through the 1980's, one of the more insane accusations was that one in ten americans were closet satanists

I remember it. here in my area there were a series of local news shows that claimed children in day cares were being molested as part of some satanic ritual.

The day care (that's still in business) right just a few blocks from my house where I live now was the most talked about. They were supposed to be huge Satanist.

I dunno- all i know is I would NEVER put my kid in day care after seeing that (or before it really). I think it was only a year or so before i actully was pregnant with my first.

and then after that, Diane Sawyer on "Prime Time" did a huge special on how bad day cares are all over the county and guess what suburb she highlighted? You got it.. mine where I live and those allegations proven to be true. We had the worse day cares in all the country.

So I dunno- I would not be so quick to say Satanist weren't alive and well. I absolutely think they are and I don't think it's as apparent as the 80's allegations were but I don't think it was all hype either.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
5.gif

thanks Michie.
:thumbsup: I'm here for you sister. :D

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Of course they have been. That's why the movie was good. I would be willing to bet that rarely if ever is there proof of such a thing, (what would consititute proof, btw?) other than the word of the victim and you are saying here that you cannot even trust that.

Take that along w/ the denial of the parents, the denial of the higher-ups in clergy to admit there is a problem and the denial of the accused themselves and it is no wonder this turned out to be such a huge problem. People do not what to talk about/face stuff like this. The movie is very enlightening about how much denial goes along w/ sexual abuse.

Upvote 0

Protinus

...once more unto the breach dear friends
Site Supporter
Apr 13, 2004
New York City
✟53,643.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
I really do not think those problems have been taken care of. The Church in America has not learned yet I'm afraid to say.

The reason why sex abuse is not rampart anymore is becuase they rarely have access to kids, not becuase the "Church" has taken measures. Parents have and no one is close to their priests anymore, having them over for dinner and stuff.

It's like trying to pull hen's teeth if you have a problem with a preist in a parish to get the Church to respond and they would still just ship him off somewhere and not correct the problem.

Well articulated benedictoo..and it certainly will not be the hierarchy that promotes the healing of egregious pain and error.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.