I once was found, but now I'm lost

N

nika_boka

I have posted this elsewhere but I need some advice.

I became a christian as a teenager 10 years ago. For many years I lived a good life, in relationship with god, I was baptised in water and the holy spirit. I went to church every sunday, I served on many teams, I ran the production team at the youth group on fridays and attended midweek meetings almost every other night. I look back on it now and know that I got burnt out and walked away from church and god. Around the same time I also started a relationship, and am now engaged and am getting married next year. Since walking away from church and god though, needless to say I've let a lot of morals slip. I still desire to be close to god again, but since walking away from the life i one lead I've obviously fallen into a life of sin. The worst part is I enjoy so many things in my life at the moment that I know i wouldn't/couldn't do anymore if I tried to start again. this is where the conflict lies. I am also scared that if i go back to church i will just end up getting burnt out again as well as feeling like I had to deny how far from God I've fallen.

What i guess i want advice on, is where should i start from to rebuild my relationship with god again?

Faulty

bind on pick up
Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2005
✟64,989.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I see a lot there concerning about what you've done and might do in the future, but God justifies no one according to their works. Tell us more about what God has done for you so He could have a relationship with you, rather than what you feel you have done for Him.

Upvote 0

StassiT

Dec 20, 2013
✟7,795.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I became a christian as a teenager 10 years ago. For many years I lived a good life, in relationship with god, I was baptised in water and the holy spirit. I went to church every sunday, I served on many teams, I ran the production team at the youth group on fridays and attended midweek meetings almost every other night. I look back on it now and know that I got burnt out and walked away from church and god. Around the same time I also started a relationship, and am now engaged and am getting married next year. Since walking away from church and god though, needless to say I've let a lot of morals slip. I still desire to be close to god again, but since walking away from the life i one lead I've obviously fallen into a life of sin. The worst part is I enjoy so many things in my life at the moment that I know i wouldn't/couldn't do anymore if I tried to start again. this is where the conflict lies. I am also scared that if i go back to church i will just end up getting burnt out again as well as feeling like I had to deny how far from God I've fallen.

What i guess i want advice on, is where should i start from to rebuild my relationship with god again?

What things do you feel that you would have to stop doing? A relationship with Jesus isn't about rules and it shouldn't feel like going to prison. We should always do things that pleases God not because we have to but because we want to, that's what a relationship is. The good this is that He still loves you and nothing you have done thus far changes that.

Upvote 0
C

Christownsme

I went through a similar experience. I thought I knew God, but I really didn't. I may have acted and behaved good, but my heart was far from God. I keep thinking of this verse when I read your post:

John 9:39

Jesus said, “For judgment I have come into this world, so that the blind will see and those who see will become blind.”

I thought I was seeing things, but God made me blind so I could finally be humbled and see for real.

Upvote 0

tremble

^.^/
Feb 15, 2014
✟16,927.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It's good that you feel some conviction about getting closer with God again. But you don't have to go to church or participate in church activities to get closer to God. Try setting aside 15-30 minutes each day in some quiet meditative prayer.

Ask God to help you understand what it will take to be right with him again. Maybe it will take some time for you to feel comfortable with prayer again, but if you are patient and faithful with it, I think God will appreciate that.

Upvote 0

seeingeyes

Nov 29, 2011
Backwoods, Ohio
✟27,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Did you have a relationship with God, or did you have a relationship with church activities?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Purge187

Former Prodigal.
May 22, 2011
Oxford, MA
✟29,807.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Dud you have a relationship with God, or did you have a relationship with church activities?

It sounds like he had both, but had too much of the latter, hence the burn-out.

Even Jesus got tired and urged He and the disciples to retreat when they needed rest. The fact that you feel as though you should pick up where you left off should be taken as a good sign. How did the father in the Parable of the Prodigal Son react when he saw his son coming down the road?

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God says: "He that has the Son has life, and he that has not the Son of God has not that life" (see all of 1 Jn. 5:10-13). Its all about a personal relationship with the Savior, not church attendance, not trying to follow the Bible teachings, etc. Do you have the Lord Jesus in your heart? Without the Lord Jesus one is not saved for eternity and has no relationship with the Father.

Upvote 0

OldStudent

Feb 24, 2007
central Ohio
✟8,188.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
You have a lot to work through. You are headed in the right direction. You recognize you are in trouble. You have told us a little of it. Have you made that admission to Him? Give careful consideration to 1 John 1:9.

It is acknowledged that there is pleasure in sin – for a season (Heb 11:25). Moses knew that but set his sights on higher, permanent joys. God does not work on removing joys from you – He replaces with better stuff. At times it may not look so good as Satan will do his best to rattle your cage but God watches to see that you are not pushed past your limits (1 Corinthians 10:13).

There are some wonderful biographies to be pieced together in the Gospels. Mary, who flooded Jesus with the perfume is especially one.

I discovered a “power cycle” you may find useful:
Prayer – is the breath of the soul. You are already getting back to that.
Study – of God’s word. His word was sufficient to create the universe. It will do great things for you too. Study is also a side of prayer – seeking His guidance and direction.
Fellowship – You need the companionship of fellow citizens of the Kingdom of God. Things will happen here that will feed prayer and need study.
Service – You need to serve others. This too will feed prayer and study and become topics to feed fellowship.

Don’t deny your past. Your victory over this down time, God’s grace, His patience will be key tools in your service. There is power in knowledge and sense of forgiveness, in knowing that should you slip you are not trashed. Your story will bring hope and comfort to many who will cross your path. At times you will need to recall recoveries from past falls to get you through trials yet to come.

You are apparently a talented young lady. Delight in those. Make use of them in His service at His call. Be careful not to let others over burden you with their desires. Let what you learned in your past become wisdom to your future.

Upvote 0

tremble

^.^/
Feb 15, 2014
✟16,927.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
You have a lot to work through. You are headed in the right direction. You recognize you are in trouble. You have told us a little of it. Have you made that admission to Him? Give careful consideration to 1 John 1:9.

It is acknowledged that there is pleasure in sin – for a season (Heb 11:25). Moses knew that but set his sights on higher, permanent joys. God does not work on removing joys from you – He replaces with better stuff. At times it may not look so good as Satan will do his best to rattle your cage but God watches to see that you are not pushed past your limits (1 Corinthians 10:13).

There are some wonderful biographies to be pieced together in the Gospels. Mary, who flooded Jesus with the perfume is especially one.

I discovered a “power cycle” you may find useful:
Prayer – is the breath of the soul. You are already getting back to that.
Study – of God’s word. His word was sufficient to create the universe. It will do great things for you too. Study is also a side of prayer – seeking His guidance and direction.
Fellowship – You need the companionship of fellow citizens of the Kingdom of God. Things will happen here that will feed prayer and need study.
Service – You need to serve others. This too will feed prayer and study and become topics to feed fellowship.

Don’t deny your past. Your victory over this down time, God’s grace, His patience will be key tools in your service. There is power in knowledge and sense of forgiveness, in knowing that should you slip you are not trashed. Your story will bring hope and comfort to many who will cross your path. At times you will need to recall recoveries from past falls to get you through trials yet to come.

You are apparently a talented young lady. Delight in those. Make use of them in His service at His call. Be careful not to let others over burden you with their desires. Let what you learned in your past become wisdom to your future.

Nice post. You pieced it together from a book of good quotes, right? :p Lots of encouraging stuff there.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

seeingeyes

Nov 29, 2011
Backwoods, Ohio
✟27,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you everyone, this has really helped. For those who asked, I did have a relationship with God. A strong one at the beginning, over time stuff got in the way of that relationship and it turned into one of serving people not God. I can admit that.
That's good. :)

Do you miss Him?

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
If I look closely, I do. I miss the peace and comfort I once felt when I would draw close to him. These days I only sadness and sorrow when I try draw close because I now how far I have walked away.

So you have "walked far away". That shouldn't be important. We can all look at times when we chose something other than what God wanted for us and it produced sadness or worse. God doesn't want us looking backward!

I strongly suggest that you carefully and prayerfully read the parable of the prodigal son. (Luke 15:11-32) He really strayed from the father, squandered his entire inheritance, and ended up feeding pigs and desiring their food. (There is nothing worse for a Jew!) When he turned around and came back to his father, judging himself to be unworthy, what was the father's reaction? God feels the same way about you!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

seeingeyes

Nov 29, 2011
Backwoods, Ohio
✟27,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If I look closely, I do. I miss the peace and comfort I once felt when I would draw close to him. These days I only sadness and sorrow when I try draw close because I now how far I have walked away.

Look at the prodigal son. He returned home thinking to beg his way into a job so that he could eat, and ended up with his father's arms around him.

Our God isn't stingy. He isn't looking at you sideways like some people do ("Where have you been?). He will run out to meet you with joy. So don't be afraid!

Upvote 0

retlaw

Dec 2, 2010
✟8,606.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
as others have pointed out, it sounds like you got "religion". You can burn out on that like you can a TV show, but you can't burn out on Christ. When you get him in your heart it's a lifetime thing. I encourage you to search for the REAL Jesus. If you truly seek him, he will find you.

Upvote 0

trulyconverted

Nov 21, 2012
Earth
✟8,569.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I think what separates us from God is sin. Take that away and the separation is gone. So the very first step is to confess all our sins (remembered sin, those we don't remember, those done by accident, those done with our knowledge, and all. And remember that even though we are not faithful, He is faithful to forgive us if we confess with all our heart.

Upvote 0