I once was found, but now I'm lost

N

nika_boka

I need some advice.

I became a christian as a teenager 10 years ago. For many years I lived a good life, in relationship with god, I was baptised in water and the holy spirit. I went to church every sunday, I served on many teams, I ran the production team at the youth group on fridays and attended midweek meetings almost every other night. I look back on it now and know that I got burnt out and walked away from church and god. I still desire to be close to god again, but since walking away from the life i one lead I've obviously fallen into a life of sin. The worst part is I enjoy so many things in my life at the moment that I know i wouldn't/couldn't do anymore if I tried to start again. this is where the conflict lies. I am also scared that if i go back to church i will just end up getting burnt out again.

What i guess i want advice on, is where should i start from to rebuild my relationship with god again?

dentonz

Feb 4, 2006
Virginia
✟16,288.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I need some advice.

I became a christian as a teenager 10 years ago. For many years I lived a good life, in relationship with god, I was baptised in water and the holy spirit. I went to church every sunday, I served on many teams, I ran the production team at the youth group on fridays and attended midweek meetings almost every other night. I look back on it now and know that I got burnt out and walked away from church and god. I still desire to be close to god again, but since walking away from the life i one lead I've obviously fallen into a life of sin. The worst part is I enjoy so many things in my life at the moment that I know i wouldn't/couldn't do anymore if I tried to start again. this is where the conflict lies. I am also scared that if i go back to church i will just end up getting burnt out again.

What i guess i want advice on, is where should i start from to rebuild my relationship with god again?

Trust in Him that he will perfect the work that he began in you. Do you think that Jesus didn't know the mistakes that you were going to make before he called you? He knows you, he knew you and all about you before you were born. Nothing you have done is a surprise to God. Turn to him and he will restore you.

Upvote 0

AGTG

Mar 11, 2014
✟6,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Seek His face in His Word. Fast and pray. Confess the truths within the Word that show who you are in Christ. Declare how He feels about you as is plainly declared in the scriptures that speak of His Fatherly love towards you and your child-likeness under Him. Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. And when you return to church, do one thing that you know the Lord has laid on your heart to do and do it heartily as unto Him.

Upvote 0

ozarkview

Mar 4, 2014
✟17,846.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I need some advice.

Back sliding or just leaving the Church seems to be quite ordinary for many your age. I also did the same.
Many refer it as being in the wilderness, Learning to overcome, finding peace, love, joy, comfort, etc.. in our Father . Often we cannot see the purpose until after we return to Jesus, once we grow to become Spiritual, then things might be revealed to us.
Often what we perceive as serving God at Church can also be interpreted as serving the Church and not God. Many times those spiritual leaders while doing works forget the spiritual maturity level of others, some are natural man, some are carnal man and some are Spiritual, and to each a different meaning of the same works. They lead babes with the spiritual meat rather than the milk. Apostle Paul knew this well…

14 Now the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him; and he cannot know them, because they are spiritually judged.
15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, and he himself is judged of no man.
1 Corinthians 2:14-15 (ASV)

1 And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, as unto babes in Christ.
2 I fed you with milk, not with meat; for ye were not yet able to bear it: nay, not even now are ye able;
3 for ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you jealousy and strife, are ye not carnal, and do ye not walk after the manner of men?
1 Corinthians 3:1-3 (ASV)

What I say to you is simple if you will follow, just as your cell phone needs a recharge, and you vehicle needs fuel, so too does your spiritual journey need its charge. A simple thing to do, first thing in the morning, Open the bible, go to any book, any passage, read it, think about it, decide if it was complete or needs more for understanding. If you feel you need to go back a few passages to get it, go ahead. Or if a passage or two more might complete, go ahead and read. This shouldn’t take but one or two minutes in your day, but it is the beginning of the day. Something to build on.

Simply thank our Father and thank Jesus for the day to come. And go about your day. Get some spiritual fuel.
The fact that you are seeking says much, in a good way.

Peace to you

Upvote 0

Clay Vessel

Mar 11, 2013
NW USA
✟15,507.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
When you ask "Why did God LET me get this far away from Him" you are blaming God for the spiritual condition you are in. God gave you free will. He isn't a slave-master who will keep you on a chain, forcing you to serve Him. He is a loving God Who desires above all else for you to have a love relationship with Him. This kind of relationship between you and Him brings Him pleasure. That is what He created you for.

I know from experience that there is no joy outside of that relationship with God. Everything the world offers is just a counterfeit for the good things that God has prepared for you. The things that you don't want to give up are the things that will keep you out of Heaven. Nothing and nobody is worth going to Hell for.

Jesus is still waiting at the place where you left Him. He has promised to never leave you nor forsake you. It was you who left. He is waiting for you to come back with open arms. Start back by repenting. That's the first step. Then, determine that you are going to be 100% true to Him forever. Make a lifetime commitment to Him. This isn't a game. It's your eternal destiny that is at stake.

You don't have to fill your life with all of the burn-out causing activities that you had in your life before. He doesn't require that of you. He requires faithfulness to Himself. He desires that you worship Him by prayer and reading His Word and as you do, your relationship with Him will blossom once again. It's a beautiful life when you walk hand-in-hand with Jesus. Don't listen to the devil's lies. God has more, so much more for you in your life. Don't miss it! I'll be praying for you.

Upvote 0

AGTG

Mar 11, 2014
✟6,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
First and foremost, don't go back church, go back to Jesus. Then, be wise about serving in ministry.

David Wilkerson said the Holy Spirit showed him he should draw a circle when it comes to ministry. All the things he knew for sure that God called him to do would be in that circle. Anything outside of that circle he could decline with no feeling of guilt or shame.

It's the devil that heaps up burdens, not Jesus.

And more practically speaking, start praying, fasting, and feasting on the word. Before you know it, your smoldering wick will be burning holy bright. In Jesus' name I declare this over you.

Upvote 0