Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2016
Lilesville NC
✟24,441.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
I know I need to take off every Sabbath weekly, Friday night to Saturday night. In the first month of Abib/Nisan I need to take off the 15th and 21st for the feast of unleavened bread. Sometime after that I have to take off for Pentacost. In the seventh month of Ethanim I need to take off 1st for the feast of trumpets, 9th for the day of atonement, and the 15th and 22nd for the feast of tabernacles.

But I'm used to the Gregorian Calender, where do these months and days line up with that? I work 3pm-11pm Monday-Saturday, so it will take some extensive changes to get off work from sundown to sundown on all these days, especially seeing as the weekly Sabbath happens on two of my work days. I want to make sure I have the right days before I go to ask my boss if I can twist my schedule around these. Is it a sin to select the wrong calendar to take these days on? Would I be just as bad doing these on the wrong days as not doing them at all? And do I have to actually travel to Israel for some of these, or was that only while the temple was standing?

Travis93

Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2016
Lilesville NC
✟24,441.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Another unrelated question I have is how to wear the tassels in Numbers 15:38-39 and Deuteronomy 22:12. What are corners of clothes? I thought about just wearing these on my belt but I've seen some websites online saying that isn't the proper way to do it.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hi Travis and welcome!

Today we are in the second day of Shavuot or Pentecost. You can find the dates for the Holy days here, that starts at the civil new year of Rosh Hashanah so last year in 2015 in Sept. It goes through this year 2016 to Oct. It also has the parsha readings for each week which are great to get into the habit of reading.

It has a date converter there also and Shabbat times to know when Shabbat starts where you live.
Hebcal site.jpg

Reactions: Hoshiyya
Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I know I need to take off every Sabbath weekly, Friday night to Saturday night. In the first month of Abib/Nisan I need to take off the 15th and 21st for the feast of unleavened bread. Sometime after that I have to take off for Pentacost. In the seventh month of Ethanim I need to take off 1st for the feast of trumpets, 9th for the day of atonement, and the 15th and 22nd for the feast of tabernacles.
Not sure why you said, "9th for the day of atonement". It does start when the sun sets ending the 9th, but it is really the 10th day of the seventh month.

But I'm used to the Gregorian Calender, where do these months and days line up with that? I work 3pm-11pm Monday-Saturday, so it will take some extensive changes to get off work from sundown to sundown on all these days, especially seeing as the weekly Sabbath happens on two of my work days. I want to make sure I have the right days before I go to ask my boss if I can twist my schedule around these.
Tough situation. You have the right days listed above, but the real question is, do you have the right calendar? The two main calendars in use are the Hebrew calculated calendar and the other is the visual calendar in the heavens (the sited moon, position of the sun, etc.). This year there is a month difference between the two. I have chosen to not use the current Hillel calendar (Hebrew calendar) because it has "postponement rules" that cause the holy days to fall when man wants them to rather than when YHWH decrees them to.

Is it a sin to select the wrong calendar to take these days on? Would I be just as bad doing these on the wrong days as not doing them at all? And do I have to actually travel to Israel for some of these, or was that only while the temple was standing?
You don't have to go to Israel. The NT record shows the feasts were kept outside of Israel as well. As for sin, yes, but it would be a sin of ignorance.

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Another unrelated question I have is how to wear the tassels in Numbers 15:38-39 and Deuteronomy 22:12. What are corners of clothes? I thought about just wearing these on my belt but I've seen some websites online saying that isn't the proper way to do it.
In Moses day, even up to Yeshua's day, their outer garment had four corners. There are not many choices today of garments that have four corners, but they do exist. I personally wear polo shirts that have side vents.
upload_2016-6-18_6-53-14.jpeg
I put a tzitzit on each corner. If you need to wear a suit or tucked in dress shirt, I think it would be acceptable to put them on your belt loops or belt. However, the proper way is one on each corner of your garment.

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
When a third temple gets built, will animal sacrifices start up again? In Acts 21:26 Paul took a Nazarite vow which from Numbers 6:14 I see includes a sin sacrifice, and he did more offerings in Acts 24:17.
If Ezekiel's temple is the Millennial Temple (Ezek 43-47), then it seems to me that sacrifices will take place. (See also Zech 14:21 in context of the Millennium). However, that does not mean those resurrected unto eternal life will be making those sacrifices/offerings. It seems they would be for the unbelieving nations that remain alive during the Millennium.
We are not told Paul took a Nazarite vow in Acts 21:26, however, he may have in Acts 18:18 although even that account does not specify and Nazarite vow. If it was, then he may have become as a Jew to win the Jews to Yeshua (1Co 9:20). Acts 24:17 does not necessarily refer to offerings of animals.

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
If Ezekiel's temple is the Millennial Temple (Ezek 43-47), then it seems to me that sacrifices will take place. (See also Zech 14:21 in context of the Millennium). However, that does not mean those resurrected unto eternal life will be making those sacrifices/offerings. It seems they would be for the unbelieving nations that remain alive during the Millennium.
We are not told Paul took a Nazarite vow in Acts 21:26, however, he may have in Acts 18:18 although even that account does not specify and Nazarite vow. If it was, then he may have become as a Jew to win the Jews to Yeshua (1Co 9:20). Acts 24:17 does not necessarily refer to offerings of animals.
Since Yeshua is our sacrifice, the symbolism is not longer necessary. Since the Millennium will be under His jurisdiction, I am sure we will be happy with the way He handles this issue.

Upvote 0

Travis93

Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2016
Lilesville NC
✟24,441.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
So now that I've come to understand the law still applies to everyone, that basically means all Christians are Hell bound right? I've never met any Christian who wears the tassels or phylacteries, so they are all openly living in sin, myself included since mine haven't arrived in the mail yet. By the way, how long does it usually take a heathen gentile like myself to become fully Torah observant? And is knowing the true name of Jesus necessary for salvation as well? I've see some say Yeshua, some Yahshua, some Yahoshua, some Yahushua, and so on. I honestly prefer Jesus myself since that's what the King James Bible I have uses, but if it got the name wrong I suppose that version is a satanic counterfeit Bible since the true word of God would be never contain a lie. Is there a perfect translation out there or do I need to learn Hebrew and Greek?

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So now that I've come to understand the law still applies to everyone, that basically means all Christians are Hell bound right? I've never met any Christian who wears the tassels or phylacteries, so they are all openly living in sin, myself included since mine haven't arrived in the mail yet.
It is hard to tell if you are being sarcastic or seriously want answers. I'll assume the latter is true.

Yeshua's blood covers sins of ignorance. That does not mean we are free to continue in our ignorance the rest of our lives. We need to learn and grow in grace AND truth.

By the way, how long does it usually take a heathen gentile like myself to become fully Torah observant?
The length of the sanctification process for both Christians and Messianics is the same; all our lives.

And is knowing the true name of Jesus necessary for salvation as well? I've see some say Yeshua, some Yahshua, some Yahoshua, some Yahushua, and so on. I honestly prefer Jesus myself since that's what the King James Bible I have uses, but if it got the name wrong I suppose that version is a satanic counterfeit Bible since the true word of God would be never contain a lie.
No, it is not necessary. However, the Father desires for us to worship in spirit and in truth. When we learn truth, we should embrace it and put away the error. Why would anyone who wants to please his Father continue to worship in error and hold onto what is false? We know for a fact that "Jesus" cannot possibly be our Savior's true name. If you study each of the other names, I believe the Spirit will lead you to the correct one.

Is there a perfect translation out there or do I need to learn Hebrew and Greek?
Learning at least the basics of Hebrew and Greek is helpful, but not necessary. There is a plethora of Bible study aids out there to help you decide what is true or false as long as you allow the Spirit to lead you as you study. Studying in the flesh or studying to prove your view rather than studying to find the truth never works.

Reactions: visionary
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
So now that I've come to understand the law still applies to everyone, that basically means all Christians are Hell bound right? I've never met any Christian who wears the tassels or phylacteries, so they are all openly living in sin, myself included since mine haven't arrived in the mail yet. By the way, how long does it usually take a heathen gentile like myself to become fully Torah observant? And is knowing the true name of Jesus necessary for salvation as well? I've see some say Yeshua, some Yahshua, some Yahoshua, some Yahushua, and so on. I honestly prefer Jesus myself since that's what the King James Bible I have uses, but if it got the name wrong I suppose that version is a satanic counterfeit Bible since the true word of God would be never contain a lie. Is there a perfect translation out there or do I need to learn Hebrew and Greek?
Sin is against the Moral TEN. All the other laws are are built upon and around those TEN. We like Yeshua around here, but have no problem with you using Jesus. Your observance is a learning experience and like any good parent, with a baby learning to walk, we do not believe God punishes his children for falling on their butts a few times.

God has allowed the variety of versions and part of the learning experience is getting deeper into the Word. We have a resident Hebrew instructor who is offering classes on line for anyone interested in learning. Everyone is learning at their own pace.

I am a gentile too, and came to the light from KJV. Still love it. Have learned of mistranslations for a variety of reasons that the scholars of that time made in it and others. But that still doesn't stop me from using it. I have expanded my bible translations usage since then. Many versions are used here and we see nothing wrong with that. Perfect translation?? Some are better than others.

I get a sense of overwhelming feeling in your post. Slow down, ... as a infant in the faith, fed milk, steak is a little harder to chew, so chew slowly or you will choke. Little bits at a time.

Wearing tzitzit is just a reminder of the TEN. Wearing it is not as important as obedience to the TEN. Numbers 15:38: "Speak to the Children of Israel, and say to them, that they shall make themselves tassels on the corners of their garments throughout their generations, and they shall put on the corner tassel a blue-violet (Tekhelet) thread." Wearing the Tzitzit is also commanded in Deuteronomy 22:12: "You shall make yourself twisted cords, on the four corners of your garment with which you cover yourself." They are be a reminder that no matter which direction you go in life, your life is to be lived within the framework of the law. So if you are not observant of the law, then wearing tzitzit means nothing. Pharisees in Yeshua's day went into the details of what observance to the minor laws, and missed out on the spiritual intent of the TEN were. Observance can be works or they can be an expression of your relationship with God. Always remain true to God and allow Him to lead.

From the sounds of it, you have just opened another door into the Lord's kingdom, and found a vast treasure trove. We are learning too. We have both those who are coming from the Pharisee learnings, and those who have come from the Christainity leanings. But together we are seeking Yeshua's style in all matters of our life. It is the halacha of it all.

Praying that you will be blessed in your walk with Him.

Reactions: gadar perets
Upvote 0

Travis93

Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2016
Lilesville NC
✟24,441.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
It is hard to tell if you are being sarcastic or seriously want answers.

I apologize if I came off that way, I'm being serious. It is greatly distressing to me that so many people are blind to the fact that they should be following the law. As soon as I realized it I was wrecked with sorrow over my relatives and friends who have died believing in that deception. I've been trying to tell other Christians I know about it, and they reject it as just "old law" or "Old Testament". I guess for now I will just focus on becoming observant myself.

Reactions: gadar perets
Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I apologize if I came off that way, I'm being serious. It is greatly distressing to me that so many people are blind to the fact that they should be following the law. As soon as I realized it I was wrecked with sorrow over my relatives and friends who have died believing in that deception. I've been trying to tell other Christians I know about it, and they reject it as just "old law" or "Old Testament". I guess for now I will just focus on becoming observant myself.
That is best to do.

AFA the tzitzit, there is something called a 'Tallit Katan' it is worn like an undershirt and has tzitzit tied to the four corners. It means 'small tallit' and it's for wearing everyday.

Have a look at the ones that are out there, here

This is what it looks like when wearing

man_wearing_tallit_katan.jpg

The back one is pulled to the front so they all can be 'seen' as that is part of the commandment. But these are not tied to belt loops.

They even make them for summer wear. It's what those observant wear all the time, whereas the Tallit is for synagogue wear and when you're at home etc.

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
Yep, I remember being overwhelmed with the ramifications of this understanding. I am just glad that the Lord "winks" at a lot of our ignorances.

Upvote 0

Travis93

Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2016
Lilesville NC
✟24,441.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Back to the sacrifices, I'm confused why doesn't modern Judaism practice them anymore. The temple is gone, but what about the earth or stone altars of Exodus 20:24-25? If it's because of Deuteronomy 12:5-6, how does it explain that long after Solomon's temple was completed, Elijah used that in 1 Kings 18:30-38 and said he did it at God's word. God obviously approved since the fire was sent down to consume the sacrifice. In 1 Kings 19:10 Elijah lamented how the children of Israel had torn down the altars along with breaking the covenant and killing the prophets, so there were even more than just that one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
Back to the sacrifices, I'm confused why doesn't modern Judaism practice them anymore. The temple is gone, but what about the earth or stone altars of Exodus 20:24-25? If it's because of Deuteronomy 12:5-6, how does it explain that long after Solomon's temple was completed, Elijah used that in 1 Kings 18:30-38 and said he did it at God's word. God obviously approved since the fire was sent down to consume the sacrifice. In 1 Kings 19:10 Elijah lamented how the children of Israel had torn down the altars along with breaking the covenant and killing the prophets, so there were even more than just that one.
It is amazing to see God work ... the miracle of sacrificial system being dropping after Yeshua is an amazing example of God's way working in spite of rebellion. Did you know that for 40 years after Yeshua, the red thread did not turn white during Yom Kippur like it had for years before Yeshua.

The Rabbis taught that forty years prior to the destruction of the Temple the lot did not come up in the [high priest’s] right hand nor did the tongue of scarlet wool become white… (Talmud, Tractate Yoma 39b)

40 years + 30 AD [aprox Yeshua's death] = 70 AD

Since the destruction of the temple, sacrificial system went dormant. As to whether or not it will be revived, there are many scriptures indicating the practice will once again start at the end of earth's history. The Temple Institute has revealed that the sacrificial altar has been built. They also has the Levite priests in training, temple lambs, many of the sanctuary articles made, and all they are waiting for it the perfect "Red Heifer" which is necessary to start.

Upvote 0

Travis93

Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2016
Lilesville NC
✟24,441.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
What's the best source I can use to prove the Sabbath is sundown Friday to sundown Saturday? I tried to explain to my preacher that the Sunday sabbath was wrong with tons of verses showing we should still be keeping the Sabbath, but he just said "prove it's Saturday". Obviously the Bible doesn't refer to our man made week day names, so I couldn't. It would be so much easier if I could just convince the church I go to to start being Torah observant than having to drive hours every week to people who do keep it.

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What's the best source I can use to prove the Sabbath is sundown Friday to sundown Saturday? I tried to explain to my preacher that the Sunday sabbath was wrong with tons of verses showing we should still be keeping the Sabbath, but he just said "prove it's Saturday". Obviously the Bible doesn't refer to our man made week day names, so I couldn't. It would be so much easier if I could just convince the church I go to to start being Torah observant than having to drive hours every week to people who do keep it.
The best source is the Christian belief that Yeshua rose from the dead on Sunday (the first day of the week). That is why they keep Sunday (in honor of his resurrection on that day). What day falls right before Sunday? Saturday. And what is the Biblical name for Saturday?

Matthew 28:1 In the end of the Sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.​

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
Your Pastor isn't interested, he has heard it all before and all he will do is continue to put obstacles before you. He isn't interested in proof. It would be easier if you asked him to prove it isn't. Jews haven't missed a Sabbath in all these years. Yeshua kept it while He walked the earth and it was in harmony with His fellow Jews. Your Pastor has no evidence that he can bring forth that is proof that Saturday isn't the Sabbath.

Upvote 0

Travis93

Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2016
Lilesville NC
✟24,441.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
The best source is the Christian belief that Yeshua rose from the dead on Sunday (the first day of the week). That is why they keep Sunday (in honor of his resurrection on that day). What day falls right before Sunday? Saturday. And what is the Biblical name for Saturday?

Matthew 28:1 In the end of the Sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.​
Great verse for that, thanks. My parents are starting to tell me I'm falling for lies, I'm a Christian not a Jew, God changed the laws for us, and so on. I need to be able to defend my case tomorrow, as they are sending me to another preacher to explain how wrong they think I am. I got some verses showing there is one law for everyone (Exodus 12:49, Leviticus 24:22, Numbers 15:15-16, Deuteronomy 31:12), prophesies about the law going to the world in the last days (Isaiah 2:2-3, Micah 4:2-3), prophesies about the world keeping holy days (Isaiah 66:23, Zechariah 14:16), the example of Jesus and the Apostles (Luke 4:16, Acts 17:2), and an exhortation to follow Jesus and Paul (1 John 2:6, 1 Corinthians 11:1). I think my trump card with be 2 Timothy 3:16, how can all scripture be profitable for instruction if most of it has be abolished?

Upvote 0