Dismiss Notice

Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
  • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
  • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
  • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I need a Christian mentor

Discussion in 'Christian Advice' started by Life2Christ, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Life2Christ

Life2Christ Guest

I think I need a Christian mentor. I need someone to study the bible with, to pray with, etc. My church is kind of lame in that area. We don't have bible study, in fact my church is very kid-focused (which is why I go there). I want my daughter to learn but I am not learning anything.

I have one Christian person in my family, who is very dedicated, but she is very busy and doesn't have time.

Any viable suggestions on what I can do?

2. BFine

BFine Seed Planter Supporter

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Calvary-Chapel
    Have you had a conversation with your minister about
    the church not meeting your need?

3. 1watchman

1watchman Overseer

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    Find a very scriptural assembly and both you and your children will be blessed. I may know of such a gathering near to you. Just PM me if you would like to talk about it. Look up always!

4. TheyCallMeDave

TheyCallMeDave At your service....

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Protestant
    It is not unusual or wrong to go to a different local church for your Group Bible Study if your present Church is short on Christian Education. Also, go to www.topix.com for your Town and run an ad on there for a Bible Study Group/Partner . Makes some phone calls / emails to local Churches and ask them if they have weekly Bible Studies ; many have Home Groups open to anyone. Check at your local Library too.

5. Jahleel

Jahleel Newbie

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Atheist
    Personally i`d say just interpret the bible your way.Take your time when read a certain verse and ponder over the possible meanings and see which one is the most logical to you.

6. turkle

turkle Blessed

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    I've never heard of a church that doesn't provide adult Bible study. Is the children's program the only reason you are there?

I would recommend Bible Study Fellowship bsfinternational.org. There are chapters all over the world, so there should be one close to you. I studied there for years, and they have one of the most in-depth studies I have ever done.

In your shoes, I would also seek out older women in your fellowship that you respect and admire. Mentorship is critical to spiritual growth.

7. LilLamb219

LilLamb219 The Lamb is gone...I am at Christianity Haven Supporter

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Christian
    If you aren't being fed, then how can you be so certain that your child is? Find a new church! Your daughter will soon learn from you as your own example that it's not important what happens to a Christian adult but that the child is much more important...which isn't right! What will happen when your daughter gets older? Will you allow her then to starve in the faith as well?

8. seeingeyes

seeingeyes Newbie

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    Hmm. Are you close with any of the ladies at your church? Start asking around about a Bible study. Who knows? Some other folks there may want the same thing.

Shoot the pastor an email and see if there are any kind of small groups 'in the works'. And maybe ask how you could help get them started.

If that doesn't work, ask the pastor and others about Bible studies in your area. Perhaps there are some local groups you don't know about.

Also, ask the Christian person in your family what she thinks. She might know someone who could mentor you or direct you to the right place. Plus, the extra prayers wouldn't hurt. ;)

9. BFine

BFine Seed Planter Supporter

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Calvary-Chapel