I miss the Good Old Hymns

Hello,

I'm new here to the forum, but thank God for this wonderful technology that brings blind users like myself to connect and communicate with people.
Anyway, when it comes to Christian music, I only listen to the hymns. Not only are they powerful, but they have that beautiful, peaceful simplicity about them. It's not that I think contemperary Christian music is bad. I just prefer the soft, peaceful, powerful, soothing hymns over the loud music. Some of it got so loud at times I got a migraine with all the drum banging, and shouting. Everyone certainly has a right to make a joyful noise unto The Lord and some people feel that it is better for them to be this way when they worship. I, however, can't worship in this loud environment.
I've talked with pastors from several churches from our area, and they all say they play contemperary music. They want to keep the younger generation happy, which is understandable. Loud music is popular among youth groups. I myself am 28 years of age, but hymns were a part of my life ever since I was a child. It was the simple act of singing hymns that was powerful enough to lead me to Christ. Of course, the Bible is wonderful, and the preachers have great messages, but my favorite part of church was always the hymns. Someone either had a guitar, and played it well, but soft enough for people to sing along to, or people in our small church sing to someone playing the keyboard. Our voice was the main component, it was our voices, lifting our praise towards the heavens. The music in the background just made it even more beautiful.
I used to attend a church where people spoke in tongues, and sang hymns some of the times. The pastor did do contemperary music, but he was leaning more towards the hymns, and the church still had that peace about it. The people were open and accepted me with open arms. Just because I had a disability, they didn't turn me away. Unfortunately, we stopped going to the church, because most of the people left when the pastor retired. The people that still remained became judgemental, and the new people that came felt awquard around me. Spiritually, I've been going through a rough battle, and feel nothing but a void, out on a limb in a world of loneliness. I just people would accept me. Even at school, in college, people are still cruel to those with disabilities, but that's not the main point of this post.
The reason I'm writing today is, I'm wondering if there are people who still miss the old hymns that used to be sung in churches? If we're lucky today, there will be modern adaptations to the hymns, but that's pretty much it. I can't seem to find a place that does hymns anymore, accept for maybe one to keep the "older generation" happy.
I know I'm a young adult, but I'm old-fashioned. I guess this is also why people think I'm strange. I'm extremely peaceful, and prefer listening to soft, mellow, meditative music. I'm a plain Jane, not a fancy nancy. I don't wear makeup or jewelery. I don't talk about the latest cool things. I'm just simple, plain old me, and I'm happy with who I am, but things are constantly changing. I'm not going to change just because the world expects me to.
The hymns is just one example of how quickly things change. Even the other day, people said that the Maranatha singers were in the Old Days. I remember hearing that expression from my grandparents quite often. In the old days, there were no washing machines, or no telephones... things like that. The maranatha singers have been around I think since the 70's. If I'm wrong, you can correct me on that fact, but the point is, even they are considered old these days.
Is there anyone who still holds to the traditional hymns? They still hold a lot of power, and for me, they brought me to a peaceful place, and I always felt God's presence during worship.
Are there people that still sing them? What about your churches, are the hymns still important there? I say these things because I'm curious. I hope I'm not the only one who prefers the hymns for worship. Is there anyone else out there who still loves the hymns?
I think that just about does it here. I look forward to hearing from others on this topic.
Everyone have a great day, and God bless.
Take care,
Melissa Roe

Reactions: ActionJ

ActionJ

Beware ... not really a " Chr
Jan 27, 2013
✟10,638.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Private
Howdy. I fully agree. There's nothing that surpasses the quality, depth, meaning, and beauty of the old hymns when they're sung with reverence and feeling. I'm not a fan of "Christian Rock" (an oxymoron in my personal opinion) nor am I much of a fan of renditions of old hymns that make them sound like "pop" tunes that lack that sense of reverence.

Reactions: psalms 91
Upvote 0

PetsR4Me

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
✟7,635.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I love the old hymns myself because they move me. I don't listen to contemporary.

btw, Does anyone remember a group called CJ & Company? I listened to them on Christian radio 20 years ago, but have never found their music for sale anywhere. They sang Southern Gospel type songs. One in particular I've been looking for is one (I think it's called) Alleluia. If anyone is familiar with this group, PLEASE let me know!

Upvote 0

ActionJ

Beware ... not really a " Chr
Jan 27, 2013
✟10,638.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Private
I love the old hymns myself because they move me. I don't listen to contemporary.

btw, Does anyone remember a group called CJ & Company? I listened to them on Christian radio 20 years ago, but have never found their music for sale anywhere. They sang Southern Gospel type songs. One in particular I've been looking for is one (I think it's called) Alleluia. If anyone is familiar with this group, PLEASE let me know!

Howdy. I did a Bing search on CJ & Company. There used to be a secular, disco band that went by that name but I couldn't find a Christian band by that name. Sorry I couldn't help you out more. :sorry:

Upvote 0

epluribus36

Follower of Jesus
Nov 1, 2013
Ozarks
✟15,402.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm a new Christian, so I don't know too many old hymns. My worship leader, who's 20 years younger than me, sometimes expects me to know an old hymn or other, and I just don't. I'm learning some, though.

I listen to KLOVE, and I love "Christian Rock". I mostly enjoy anything that's positive.:clap:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Howdy. I fully agree. There's nothing that surpasses the quality, depth, meaning, and beauty of the old hymns when they're sung with reverence and feeling. I'm not a fan of "Christian Rock" (an oxymoron in my personal opinion) nor am I much of a fan of renditions of old hymns that make them sound like "pop" tunes that lack that sense of reverence.

Many of the "new" works of music are just as good as the old hymns . . . the old hymns have the advantage in that the mediocre hymns dropped out, leaving the best to remain.

That will happen with songs being written today, and fifty years from now today's songs - the ones that last - will seem better than the contemporary songs all over again.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums