Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
i grew up listening everything from bluegrass, Johnny Cash, Nelson , Jennings and Deep Purple growing up. My mom was a southern hippy chick. Cash: "I hurt myself today..." I'm on a kick. I think I may be turning into my mother. :eek: Might be time for a check up.

Reactions: chandraclaws

Moral Orel

Proud Citizen of Moralton
Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
i grew up listening everything from bluegrass, Johnny Cash, Nelson , Jennings and Deep Purple growing up. My mom was a southern hippy chick. Cash: "I hurt myself today..." I'm on a kick. I think I may be turning into my mother. :eek: Might be time for a check up.
"I hurt myself today, to see if I still feel..." Those lyrics?

If that's the song you're thinking of, I hate to break it to you, Michie, but you like Nine Inch Nails lyrics. Johnny Cash covered them and it was one of his last big hits.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,651,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"I hurt myself today, to see if I still feel..." Those lyrics?

If that's the song you're thinking of, I hate to break it to you, Michie, but you like Nine Inch Nails lyrics. Johnny Cash covered them and it was one of his last big hits.
Well I knew that actually. I've had a couple glasses of wine. But Johnny Cash? He can sing it like no other imo. I just love his southern protestant rear end. My Grandmother could have easily passed for his twin sister towards the end of her life. Makes me wonder what his bloodline is.

Reactions: RKO
Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Proud Citizen of Moralton
Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Well I knew that actually. I've had a couple glasses of wine. Buy Johnny Cash? He can sing it like no other imo. I just love his southern protestant rear end. My Grandmother could have easily oassed for his twin sister towards the end of her life. Makes me wonder what his bloodline is.
I love his version too. I don't know which one I like better. It has to come down to my mood and what style of music I feel like hearing. Trent Reznor ruined the end of his version though...

Here's his video for anyone who hasn't seen it, he change the vulgar lyrics from NIN's version:

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟425,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

Hurt is my all-time favorite Johnny Cash song. I never met my maternal grandpa, he died 11 years before I was born, but my mom always talks about how big of a Johnny Cash fan he was, so when I listen to him I feel a bit of a connection with my grandpa. Plus my grandpa looked a lot like Johnny Cash, whether that was by accident or design, I don't know.

I remember listening to something from Rob Bell, and to illustrate his point he talked about how the song was written and originally performed by Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails, but then Cash performed it, and infused the song with the mileage that was on his life. The fact that Johnny Cash's life experiences added a tangible quality to the song, and in a sense, credibility. Even Reznor later said that the song "belonged" to Cash now.

Ever since that commentary on the song I've always felt his age, his life, his story just imprinted onto the lyrics and the sound of his voice. It's staggering really.

The trailer that was released for the new Wolverine movie Logan featured that song, and it added so much nuance to the story of Wolverine. Knowing that it would be Hugh Jackman's last time portraying the character after 16-17 years, and that within the narrative itself, it's set in 2024 and the wear and tear of Logan's life is catching up to him. You see the substance of the song in flesh and blood in that trailer - it really got me.

(If anyone's interested in the trailer)

Upvote 0

RKO

Oct 27, 2011
✟41,071.00
Faith
Catholic
Well I knew that actually. I've had a couple glasses of wine. But Johnny Cash? He can sing it like no other imo. I just love his southern protestant rear end. My Grandmother could have easily passed for his twin sister towards the end of her life. Makes me wonder what his bloodline is.
Michie, this one made me laugh out loud. "...southern Protestant rear end." HA!!

Upvote 0

Martinius

Catholic disciple of Jesus
Jul 2, 2010
The woods and lakes of the Great North
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That video is the last exhibit in the Johnny Cash Museum just before you exit into the gift shop (of course). If you get to Nashville and are a Cash or any kind of music fan, you have to go there. The museum has been changed, new exhibits and videos added, and improved a lot since it opened.

Cash was an introspective man, much more complex than you might think, especially if your knowledge of him comes mostly from his film bio. He was an atypical southern "good old boy" country artist, as one can see in his "Man in Black" song and in his ode to the American flag.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bill5

Jul 30, 2011
✟63,199.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
lol

I'm just glad my dad didn't name me Sue. :)

• Haha
Upvote 0

sylverpiano

unworthy
Oct 14, 2010
✟53,702.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Johnny Cash is an American Icon. His great love for his wife June was legendary. Not long before June died, Johnny recorded this:

Roberta Flack had a very nice voice, but I did not believe her. Listening to this you can feel all of the love, passion and pain Johnny felt as he watched the love of his life fade away.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums