I learned that there is biblical evidence that John the Baptist had long hair

Apr 11, 2011
✟2,974.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Numbers, Chapter 6

2 "Say to the people of Israel, When either a man or a woman makes a special vow, the vow of a Nazirite, to separate himself to the LORD,

3 he shall separate himself from wine and strong drink; he shall drink no vinegar made from wine or strong drink, and shall not drink any juice of grapes or eat grapes, fresh or dried.

4 All the days of his separation he shall eat nothing that is produced by the grapevine, not even the seeds or the skins.

5 "All the days of his vow of separation no razor shall come upon his head; until the time is completed for which he separates himself to the LORD, he shall be holy; he shall let the locks of hair of his head grow long.

"for he will be great before the Lord, and he shall drink no wine nor strong drink, and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit, even from his mother's womb." - Luke 1:15

SaintJohnTheBaptist.jpg

Last edited:

Fran75

May 3, 2011
Mason Dixon line
✟8,809.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm more surprised they cut their hair back then. I'd pictured everyone, male and female having long hair.

You are right except for Roman men, esp. the soliders, long hair could be a vulnerability in close combat, that is why even today short hair is considered more masucline and long hair more feminine.

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2011
✟2,974.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I thought this was common common knowledge...
It's common knowledge that artists like to paint Jesus and other men of the Bible with long hair. But to know that in the case of John the Baptist this is more than just artistic license one would have to know the verses in the Old Testament and how it applies to the New Testament. Most people don't know the Old Testament that well, and even those of us who know the Old Testament well don't know every connection in it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0