I hope it is okay for me to ask this since it is controversial.

Lik3

Nov 21, 2011
South Carolina
✟94,571.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
As a black person, I shudder to think that there is a lot of violence within and outside of the black community, at least in America. Is it okay to think that some of the stats about black violence are correct? However, how do I discern which stats are correct versus which of those are racist? I have read about this and I also shudder to think that this is correct. Not all of us are violent as well as racist, but some of this does occur. Could it be also a matter of choice because of the lack of life-affirmation in US culture or is really about race? I shudder to think. There are people who point out the thefts, murders, and other crimes committed by black people who are guilty. Those are true but to say that we are predisposed to violence I think is rather insulting to say the least. Why are the number so high even as compared to other races, or rather ethnicities? Rarely do I read about blacks of other groups, at least in the US, have such higher statistics. How do I counter those statistics that say that overall black people are more violent than others and that racism and white privilege, at least int he US are the reasons?

It is as if poor choices as a reason are being left out. I also believe it is true that violence in the black American population has reached a fever pitch and it affects the rest of us black Americans who aren't violent. I believe that is why so many black Americans tend to be embarrassed (I was once, but not now.) whenever another black person does this. There was a black man who was just shopping and living day to day just like everybody else when there was a flash mob of young black teens who were fighting and trashing the mall who was embarrassed at the sight of these young people behaving so badly. This thread is just another spin on one I asked earlier. How much concern should black people have against black violence as compared to other groups, especially white people? I mention white people since most of the people in my town are black or white people. Should white people nowadays fear black people or other white people more? I have a secret. Some black people realize that other blacks can be and are racist and violent. They are embarrassed by them and even lock their doors or clutch their purses just like white people who are or tend to be more prejudiced. My main question is, is it okay that as a black person believe some stats? Some black people are more violent, but I don't see it as a racist thing, but poor choices and because of cultural factors that disproportionately affected black people.

I do see that I have an issue with race, but I am concerned by the state of black people in the US and the world at large. This isn't to say that I am concerned about others, but I am not sure if other groups get the same prejudice against them as far as crime goes, or even the high statistics are far as crime goes. Correct me if I am wrong. Where online can I find statistical information on crime committed by black folks and also violence by race? I believe that anyone can find this statistic and that statistic and interpret it in a racist context. Should one take into account race or is it just a cultural issue? Could this also be an issue of the godlessness in our culture in the US? Black Americans by and large are, and in some cases, were a religious, communal, family-oriented, and religious community. There is a history of injustice against us, but I have never read or even heard about the high statistics of black crime, especially so-called black-on-black crime. So am I right in my opinion that these are issues of godlessness in the US or is there really a correlation between race, ethnicity, and violence? I know it is long, but I am interested in your constructive opinions.

I can't believe that I am doing this as I don't wish to offend others on this forum, but could this for example be an example of increasing black violence, the "thug" culture that some young people aspire to, or just outright racism? This is just from a new story. This occurred in Wisconsin.
http://fox6now.com/2015/08/27/distu...ed-stomped-on-outside-north-side-gas-station/

Last edited:
Reactions: Chriliman
Apr 21, 2015
✟25,183.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Pay no attention to statistics. What a few numbers say has little bearing on the personal struggles of the minorities they represent. Rarely are issues addressed, but rather nit-picked for media grabbing headlines. There will always be a stigma attached to groups, regardless of race. Crime and poverty are a reality, not a byword for black-crime or white-crime. Racism is prevalent in all ethnicity, unfortunately I don't feel that will ever change. Finding numbers to pigeon hole a group does nothing more than reinforce prejudices.

Thug culture is a problem, yet not a race one. Every country has them.

Reactions: Lik3
Upvote 0

Chriliman

Everything I need to be joyful is right here
May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm white and I love what you're saying. I'd love to see more people from minority groups speak up and speak out like you have, I think its a great inspiration that will lead in a positive direction.

We can all be leaders, no matter race, as long as we're following Jesus. Unfortunately, many disagree, but it has no affect on what's true.

God bless!

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is it okay to think that some of the stats about black violence are correct?
Of coarse it is OK. Just as it is OK for me to believe statics in crime about whites. Why would it be any different for you?
However, how do I discern which stats are correct versus which of those are racist?
You look at statics that come from governmental agencies such as the FBI. Black and white (no pun intended) figures and facts.
Those are true but to say that we are predisposed to violence I think is rather insulting to say the least.
Yes it is insulting and is a lie perpetrated by racists.

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The question is not so much whether the statistics are correct, but rather what is the cause for them to be the way they are.

Racists will say it is because there is something inherently wrong with minority races. Honest examination will show that it is something else (correlation with poverty, socio-economic factors, police bias, etc.)

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I think there is no correlation between race, ethnicity, and violence. One group is not more inherently violent than any other. I think any trend you're seeing is related to what you mentioned here: "...poor choices and because of cultural factors that disproportionately affected black people." I would go so far as to say that any racist policies that kept the black community from moving forward have become internalized among a segment of the population, and now it has become generational, even if the policies that initially brought them there no longer exist. I tend to see it as a race issue that has turned into more of a class issue (because the type of thing you're talking about is also seen among certain segments of any race of certain economic classes).

That said, the majority of the black people I know are middle class, church-going types with no-criminal records at all. I tend to think that those folks are more representative of the majority (and even most of those on the lowest economic step of the scale aren't part of what you're talking about either). However, we see in the media (and somewhat when I taught at a particular school) some of these people (white and black- actually) born into generational poverty that glorify gang and drug culture, et cetera. We notice that more, so it gets more attention.

Upvote 0