I have a question and I don't know where to ask...

GrayAngel

Sep 11, 2006
USA
✟21,292.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Life View
Choose an option that best describes your beliefs regarding life.
Liberal Moderate Conservative Fundamentalist

This is on the profile options. Can someone explain to me what these four words mean? I've heard them all before but never actually asked what they are. Please help!

I think this has to do with politics.

Liberals: Pro-choice, against the death penalty, tax the "big companies" and redistribute it, separation of church and state, appeal to minority groups.

Conservatives: Pro-life, for death penalty, lower taxes, smaller government and less redistribution of wealth (ideally), appeal to old-fashioned Christian values, and do not believe that separation of church and state means that we should take down every Christian symbol that exists on public property (particularly if it has been there for a long time).

Moderates: Have no strong feelings for either side and tend to vote both ways.

I'm not sure about Fundamentalists, but I guess they're the ones who try to take the best elements of both Liberalism and Conservatism.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Life View
Choose an option that best describes your beliefs regarding life.
Liberal Moderate Conservative Fundamentalist

This is on the profile options. Can someone explain to me what these four words mean? I've heard them all before but never actually asked what they are. Please help!

Different folks will understand these terms in different ways. So in some ways it's probably quite subjective.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Different folks will understand these terms in different ways. So in some ways it's probably quite subjective.

-CryptoLutheran

Right. The inclusion of fundamentalist suggests it's not just politics. That's a theological orientation. Commonly politics and theology match, though not always.

Conservatives - tend to take the Bible "literally." See it as commending traditional social policies and ethics

Liberals - tend to accept modern science, including social science. See the Bible as a human document responding to our experience with God. Willing to consider changes in social policies and ethics (sexual ethics being the big area of conflict)

Moderates - somewhere in the middle

Fundamentalism - what it meant historically wasn't that different from conservative, but has taken on the implication of being more hostile to the culture.

Upvote 0