I have a friend who recently lost his wife

Hi there everyone,

I have a good friend of mine, who recently lost his wife a few months back and I know he is hurting and missing her terribly. I feel really bad and sad for him as they have been a good friend to me over the few years I've known them. It is a friend I know online, who lives a long way away although I have met up with them in person a few times, so sadly there is a great deal of distance between us, so I fear there isn't a great deal practically I can do.

Anyway, other than being sympathetic and being there for them to talk to and providing a listening ear, and praying, I just wondered, from those who've been in this situation, whether you think there is anything else I can do, that would be helpful for the person in this situation?

Sorry if I sound stupid asking this, but I care about this person a lot, and we are good friends, and as this forum has posters who are in this very sad situation, I just thought any advice/tips/suggestions/help on how I can be a better and more supportive friend to this person will be a big help :)

So, if anyone does have any suggestions, please feel free to tell me!

Thank you

Last edited:

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
There really is very little you can do except be a friend. Don't judge the things he does nor give him too much advice...his healing time frame is his. There is nothing magically about that one year mark. He will need to talk about her and cry...a lot and for a long time. Tears are okay and acceptable and trying to stop them or "cheer him up" isn't always appropriate. You didn't make him cry...at most, you just allowed him to express them. There isn't a "right" way to mourn nor a "wrong" way. At the same time, he might start dating early or not dating for a very long time...there is nothing wrong with him doing either...and neither are measures of how much he loved his wife...only measures of how lonely he is without her.

I am not really sure what else you can do from a long distance.

Upvote 0
I might suggest that you didn't get a bunch of responses since this is Father's Day weekend and many of us are feeling a bit more mournful.

Yeah. Ok. The OP was on Tuesday though, not today. I suppose I was just hoping someone might be nice enough to respond, when I am trying to reach out and help someone else, even if they had nothing else to suggest and could have just left it with an encouraging, "keep doing what you're doing" sort of thing.

If people had genuine reasons why they were unable to respond, then fine. I've no idea.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Yeah. Ok. The OP was on Tuesday though, not today. I suppose I was just hoping someone might be nice enough to respond, when I am trying to reach out and help someone else, even if they had nothing else to suggest and could have just left it with an encouraging, "keep doing what you're doing" sort of thing.

If people had genuine reasons why they were unable to respond, then fine. I've no idea.

If you think this only hurts ON Father's Day, you are sadly mistaken. This is not something we EVER heal from...we just learn to live with it and paint smiles on to make people think we are "doing fine". There really wasn't an answer to give... to assume that we "just don't care" is very unfair...and now you are asking a bunch of widows and widowers to ENCOURAGE YOU? Honestly, this particular forum doesn't get a lot of traffic ... a lot of those "views" were done by people who are just curious are not people who are living this life. At least 2 or 3 of them were me trying to come up with an answer...but it just didn't come and the feelings from that first year sort of overwhelmed me since I am not in a strong place myself.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Hi there everyone,

I have a good friend of mine, who recently lost his wife a few months back and I know he is hurting and missing her terribly. I feel really bad and sad for him as they have been a good friend to me over the few years I've known them. It is a friend I know online, who lives a long way away although I have met up with them in person a few times, so sadly there is a great deal of distance between us, so I fear there isn't a great deal practically I can do.

Anyway, other than being sympathetic and being there for them to talk to and providing a listening ear, and praying, I just wondered, from those who've been in this situation, whether you think there is anything else I can do, that would be helpful for the person in this situation?

Sorry if I sound stupid asking this, but I care about this person a lot, and we are good friends, and as this forum has posters who are in this very sad situation, I just thought any advice/tips/suggestions/help on how I can be a better and more supportive friend to this person will be a big help :)

So, if anyone does have any suggestions, please feel free to tell me!

Thank you

keeping in regular touch is the best thing that you can do.
most people who are either friends or relatives of the deceased drop off contact after the first few weeks (yes, that soon) as they get on with their own lives.
Unfortunately the pain and grief of death doesn't stop so soon for the spouse, but continues on for a very long time...often for many years.

It is most helpful to ask how they are feeling, and what they are doing...the two things that will show what their mental and physical state is at that time.
This allows the grieving person a way to express that grief and also to begin to talk about it (it is a very unique time of life)
and also to ask for help in coping with things that come up in the normal course of dealing with a death.

In the early days and months there is a general feeling of shock and numbness, inability to think coherently, forgetfulness where there had been none before, mind-numbing pain, and wrenching grief.
these are days when it helps greatly to have someone who can gently help to organize or oversee things that need to be done,
who can make lists of what organizations need to be contacted, and generally help ease the burden of having to think 'what's next?'
If asked, most grieving persons have absolutely no idea what that 'next thing' is.
It's good if that help can be done in person, but it can also be done online if the helper is familiar with the person who is grieving.

there are different stages and feelings that most everyone goes through during the grieving period that are unique to that situation.
They don't happen in order, and they can last for varying periods of time, and even reoccur.

Two of the most distressing things to immediately cope with are the worry over finances and bills, and the worry over where to live now.
These come at a time very early in grief when we who are grieving are least able to deal with them, and when help is often absent.

Gradually as time passes the numbness will wear off, the sense of now being alone
and the subsequent feeling of isolation will become familiar.
the new state of grief will not be so raw and fresh as it was at the beginning.

There will be episodes of remembrance that will be painful, the last days will be remembered and relived often,
and there will probably be a need to be reassured that what is happening is a normal part of the process of grief,
and especially that what the grieving person is experiencing has also happened to someone else.
Eventually acceptance of what now is will come.

After acceptance comes, outside contact is really helpful to combat the subsequent feeling of being isolated.
That feeling of isolation is a natural progression of the need to find a safe, secure harbor
in a time of tumult and drastic changes which come with the death of a loved one.

Ironically this is exactly the most dangerous time of the grieving period;
when persons who are grieving seek quick, easy solutions thinking to escape,
or to cut short the pain of their grief and loneliness, which has become intolerable to them.
As a result, they are likely to be prone to make hasty decisions that are not well thought out.

Those "solutions" can come in the form of a desperate plan to escape from the reality of grief,
and they come at time when the person who is grieving needs the most support from friends and family to continue on.
Anything to help get the person who is grieving outside the safe confines of their home for even a short while should be encouraged.
that does two things;
1. it shows them that life can go on
2. it also shows them that help to cope with the pain of loss is available.
This doesn't necessarily have to mean close human contact,
but even being in an area where other people are, and where casual contact can happen is helpful.

Doing activities that are conducive to their own continuing life are the most helpful.
This could mean shopping for groceries, taking the car for a tune-up, going out for a meal,
visiting a friend, going to church,etc.

In essence it confirms that there is still life remaining out there; even in the midst of suffering, loss, and grief.
and that confirmation is enough to help with the next transition.

Eventually the thought of possibly having a life here on earth,
of taking up the habits and interests of life again,
and of going forward will begin to occur.
It is a time of transition; a bridge between the loss and what comes next.

All of this happens more slowly than anyone who hasn't been through it can imagine.
But it does happen.

there is slow but eventual progression, and gradual getting back into contact with life.
But most importantly, there is hope of a life and a renewed sense of purpose
that is waiting beyond the grief and the loss.

hope this helps!
p.s. i did not respond before because i only saw your post today.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you think this only hurts ON Father's Day, you are sadly mistaken. This is not something we EVER heal from...we just learn to live with it and paint smiles on to make people think we are "doing fine". There really wasn't an answer to give... to assume that we "just don't care" is very unfair...and now you are asking a bunch of widows and widowers to ENCOURAGE YOU? Honestly, this particular forum doesn't get a lot of traffic ... a lot of those "views" were done by people who are just curious are not people who are living this life. At least 2 or 3 of them were me trying to come up with an answer...but it just didn't come and the feelings from that first year sort of overwhelmed me since I am not in a strong place myself.

Hi,
the only reason I mentioned that the post was on Tuesday, was because you mentioned in your reply, that perhaps it was due to it being Father's Day, some people were feeling more mournful. So it was just meant in response to something you said, not me insinuating that it only affecting people on certain days.

Anyway, perhaps in my second reply, I should not have gotton irritable about people not responding, and considered that it is difficult for people to talk about. I was just keen to help my friend, but maybe I didn't consider enough, about it not always being easy for others to talk about.

I did not mean to be insensitive, or add to your pain any further, I'm sorry :hugs: But thanks for being able to post what you did, and were able to also.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Hi,
the only reason I mentioned that the post was on Tuesday, was because you mentioned in your reply, that perhaps it was due to it being Father's Day, some people were feeling more mournful. So it was just meant in response to something you said, not me insinuating that it only affecting people on certain days.

Anyway, perhaps in my second reply, I should not have gotton irritable about people not responding, and considered that it is difficult for people to talk about. I was just keen to help my friend, but maybe I didn't consider enough, about it not always being easy for others to talk about.

I did not mean to be insensitive, or add to your pain any further, I'm sorry :hugs: But thanks for being able to post what you did, and were able to also.

Forgiven ... but remember that simple "unthought out" statements like this will hurt your friend worse than a slug in the stomach. Things like "it has been xxx number of months, it is time that you start zzz"....are among them. Seemingly innocent remarks can kill us inside. We are hyper-sensitive because we are very broken inside and have lost the person we lean on when we are hurt.

As for the Father's Day issue...yes, it effects me the minute the Father's Day ads hit the newpaper the day after Mother's Day (another holiday I'd prefer to ignore without my husband)....because I have to decide how to address the stupid day with my kids...do they want to recognize it or just ignore it...and what if one wants to recognize it while the other wants to ignore it?....and why are horrible fathers allowed to walk the earth while the dedicated daddy to my kids is dead? (see how we think?)

Upvote 0

NOTWHATIWAS

I take my stage direction from God.
Jun 27, 2016
Oregon, USA
✟20,309.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Single
Keep doing all those things that you have described and then some. Perhaps, send this gentleman an card or some snail mail if you have an address. I'm sure he is really hurting and would be thrilled to know that a friend is thinking about him enough to go the extra mile. I will keep you in prayers.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums