US
✟90,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm afraid of getting married and having to cook for a guy and having to have his kids and take care of them and socialize with his friends and go to the bathroom in the same house and for him to see how weird i am.... sigh. I like being alone too much. I enjoy sleeping way too much and I don't eat the same foods a lot of people do because I try to be healthy. I am also uncomfortable with my body due to my acne. Even though I am in good shape.

At the same time I want a companion and I like sex. It's too easy for me to feel like I just want to please myself and stay alone for the rest of my life and stay away from people, but this is sinful. It's also easy for me to date a guy and commit acts of fornication and never commit so I can enjoy my free time. That's also sinful.
I feel like I can't love anyone and I'm scared of marriage.

What do I do with myself?

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,107,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm afraid of getting married and having to cook for a guy and having to have his kids and take care of them and socialize with his friends and go to the bathroom in the same house and for him to see how weird i am.... sigh. I like being alone too much. I enjoy sleeping way too much and I don't eat the same foods a lot of people do because I try to be healthy. I am also uncomfortable with my body due to my acne. Even though I am in good shape.

At the same time I want a companion and I like sex. It's too easy for me to feel like I just want to please myself and stay alone for the rest of my life and stay away from people, but this is sinful. It's also easy for me to date a guy and commit acts of fornication and never commit so I can enjoy my free time. That's also sinful.

Well, you have to decide what you want more, a free, celebate life, or a married life (with or without kids).
No one on earth can make that decision for you. Making a clear list of pros and cons might be helpful.

Upvote 0

Angeleyes7715

Dec 13, 2015
US
✟90,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well, you have to decide what you want more, a free, celebate life, or a married life (with or without kids).
No one on earth can make that decision for you. Making a clear list of pros and cons might be helpful.

Maybe if I heard from both sides. Is it better to be single or married? If I'm single and celibate can I at least flirt with men? I like attention too much. Is Masterbating and sex toys okay? I'm guessing no, but I read so many contradictory Christians saying mast. is healthy.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟734,719.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Marriage is a good thing, well it has been for me, and my wife. Marriage is a lot more about learning to love. Marriage is about showing affection and care, a deep kind of acceptance.

I enjoy everything about marriage, it builds up my life, as I know I have some one who is always there for me. Sex is a part of marriage, and it is a good part of it. But again sex comes down to showing love.

Sex by its self to me would never be satisfying without the commitment of marriage. I believe you would one day regret if you bypassed marriage for the single life.

Kids also are great fun.

I highly recommend marriage.

Reactions: Angeleyes7715
Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Angeleyes: And it's no wonder you be fearing... when you lack proper married people in your life that you can learn from...your parents' bad example has skewered things for you quite a bit.
However there is a beautiful marriage picture to draw from... the born again/believers are in a marriage already. You and God. The "proposal" was extended, the "terms" be laid out in the bible, accept or refuse the "offer", You accepted! the bridegroom has vowed to be forever faithful and will always do his part. You made your vows too, He will never cheat, never lie to you, he will never forsake or abandon you...he loves you whether you are scarred or not, he knows about scars (he's got some too.) The bridegroom/husband wants you to love(agape) others, grow in knowledge of the scriptures and to apply them. To reproduce/ help make godly offspring(new believers).

If your walk with the Lord(marriage) isn't what it should be, this will reflect not only in a marriage relationship but also in your dating relationship.

Angeleyes: Do what the Lord say..."follow me", you are to follow Jesus.
God helped this person overcome some pretty bad stuff: http://www.ronarcher.info/about.html

Upvote 0

Poppyseed78

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2016
US
✟275,982.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I have been married for 6 years and have a child, so I will write from my own experience. You can certainly keep your own identity in marriage. A lot of TV shows and movies show women losing themselves in relationships, and it doesn't have to be that way. Marriage doesn't mean losing all independence. You can still have your own interests and hobbies. You can be true to yourself while also having a satisfying and happy marriage.

In my opinion, marriage actually adds to your identity, rather than detracting from it. Marriage has made me more humble, more patient, and more loving. I, too, have acne, even though I'm well past adolescence. It's just a hormonal thing for me. But my husband still loves me. Don't let acne deter you from seeking out companionship.

I am sure there are men out there who would actually value your independence and share a lot of your interests. I see marriage as a partnership with mutual respect and love, where you build each other up and support one another. I understand it's not for everyone, but it can be a really meaningful bond to have.

I encourage you to give it some deep thought. How do you imagine your life in 10, 20, 30 years from now? I caution you on the idea of flirting with no intention of a serious commitment, because you might lead men on who are genuinely interested, which could result in them being hurt.

Upvote 0

Angeleyes7715

Dec 13, 2015
US
✟90,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I've heard from the married and you guys have very good points. Do you guys ever worry about dealing with the death of a spouse? My grandma died and my grandfather had been taking care of her sickly body for years and it was an awful experience. Any comments on this issue. Is it better to be alone in that respect? Is there anyone who has chose the single life and thinks it's better?

Upvote 0

Poppyseed78

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2016
US
✟275,982.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've heard from the married and you guys have very good points. Do you guys ever worry about dealing with the death of a spouse? My grandma died and my grandfather had been taking care of her sickly body for years and it was an awful experience. Any comments on this issue. Is it better to be alone in that respect? Is there anyone who has chose the single life and thinks it's better?

I don't have personal experience with this, but I have seen my husband's parents taking care of his grandmother at the end of her life. It's definitely hard to care for a loved one who is ill. So I've considered what it might be like, when my husband and I are old. I still think that marriage is worth it because of the lifetime we share together. Yes, there might be some tough years at the end. But I think it's worth the risk anyway for all the happiness that comes before it. I am willing to be there for my husband no matter what - it is literally "in sickness and in health".

My husband has some friends who are about 50 and have chosen to remain bachelors. They are Christian, and each has his own reasoning. One is involved in ministry and another has dedicated his life to missions. Another chose to stay single because, it would seem, he is afraid of losing his freedom. He has dated several women over the years, but every time the question of marriage comes up, he breaks up with them. He said that he's afraid of having a woman control his life and his finances, and he is used to things the way they are. I understand it, but at the same time, he is also quite lonely and said that he's taking medication for depression.

My mom has a friend who is now 75, and she never married and said she never felt she missed out. She is a very accomplished doctor, and it sounds like she lived a really full and abundant life. So there is no one right answer here. People can be happy and fulfilled while married or single, and they can be unhappy while married or single.

Upvote 0

John Davidson

Apr 6, 2016
United States
✟20,664.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Marriage isn't for everyone. I've been single for the past 10 years.

Upvote 0

Angeleyes7715

Dec 13, 2015
US
✟90,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
In Relationship
The one question no one who chose to stay single has answered is how they deal with sexual urges and desires. I have a hard time believing people who say they've been single for years and haven't lusted, masterbated, engaged in inappropriate contentography, fornicated, etc. I've heard some people say that and I think they are full of it. I have an even harder time believing someone who chose to stay single that says they don't get those urges and or they pray and it gets rid of sexual urges. I had a pastor who became angry with his wife and she left him. He never had a woman after, but his ministers complained that he talked about the male anatomy too much and accused him of being homosexual. He once counseled me on sexual immorality about my boyfriend and he was somewhat graphic. Almost as if he was really needing an outlet. That's my biggest issue with the single life. I don't think it's possible not to fall into sexual sin. Outside of Jesus I don't think it's possible. Hopefully that wasn't a sinful comment.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Poppyseed78

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2016
US
✟275,982.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The one question no one who chose to stay single has answered is how they deal with sexual urges and desires. I have a hard time believe people who say they've been single for years and haven't lusted, masterbated, engaged in inappropriate contentography, fornicated, etc. I have an even harder time believing someone who chose to stay single that says they don't get those urges and or they pray and it gets rid of sexual urges. My huge issue with the single life is it's too easy to fall into sexual sins.

I have a hard time believing that too. Prayer is very powerful, but sexual urges don't just...disappear. I do think most single people touch. Married people even touch. It's a taboo subject, no one wants to talk about this kind of thing. Is it a sin? This is a gray area that I'm not entirely sure about.

In my opinion, inappropriate contentography is detrimental and dangerous for a variety of reasons. My ex-boyfriend was addicted to inappropriate content, and it was not a pleasant thing for me. I could go on and on with all the ways inappropriate content is bad, and cite various studies as well as scripture, so I'll stop myself now lol. I do think prayer can help a person resist the desire to look at inappropriate content. But as for eliminating sexual urges entirely...while I think it's possible, and it probably works for some, for most people it probably doesn't.

You said in your original post that you feel like you can't love anyone. May I ask why? I think this is the heart of the issue. The sexual thing is secondary, although it is obviously important too.

Reactions: Angeleyes7715
Upvote 0

Angeleyes7715

Dec 13, 2015
US
✟90,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have a hard time believing that too. Prayer is very powerful, but sexual urges don't just...disappear. I do think most single people touch. Married people even touch. It's a taboo subject, no one wants to talk about this kind of thing. Is it a sin? This is a gray area that I'm not entirely sure about.

In my opinion, inappropriate contentography is detrimental and dangerous for a variety of reasons. My ex-boyfriend was addicted to inappropriate content, and it was not a pleasant thing for me. I could go on and on with all the ways inappropriate content is bad, and cite various studies as well as scripture, so I'll stop myself now lol. I do think prayer can help a person resist the desire to look at inappropriate content. But as for eliminating sexual urges entirely...while I think it's possible, and it probably works for some, for most people it probably doesn't.

You said in your original post that you feel like you can't love anyone. May I ask why? I think this is the heart of the issue. The sexual thing is secondary, although it is obviously important too.

Thank you for being real when it comes to that issue. And I think my problem with loving other people comes down to I don't love myself. In fact some days I hate my very existence. When your like that I think it's hard to think anyone could care about you and in turn you don't want to care about anyone. It's a bad way to be. I think I'm going to try increasing my prayer life. At least praying like an hour a day so maybe I can get more God in my life to sort out my problems. Something told me to do this while I was laying down sick today.

Upvote 0

Poppyseed78

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2016
US
✟275,982.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You deserve to be loved. God gave his son for you; you are worthy of being loved, and experiencing that in your life. I hear a lot of loneliness and isolation in your post.

I felt the same way you did, years ago, and got into an abusive relationship that made me hate myself even more. It was finally coming to Christ that showed me that I deserved better, that He had a plan for me that was more than being someone's punching bag.

I encourage you to work on accepting and loving yourself. It is indeed hard to love others fully if we don't love ourselves. It's never too late to improve your self-esteem. Whether you decide to be single or to date and go on to a serious relationship, you deserve to love yourself - for your own sake.

Upvote 0

John Davidson

Apr 6, 2016
United States
✟20,664.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The one question no one who chose to stay single has answered is how they deal with sexual urges and desires. I have a hard time believing people who say they've been single for years and haven't lusted, masterbated, engaged in inappropriate contentography, fornicated, etc. I've heard some people say that and I think they are full of it. I have an even harder time believing someone who chose to stay single that says they don't get those urges and or they pray and it gets rid of sexual urges. I had a pastor who became angry with his wife and she left him. He never had a woman after, but his ministers complained that he talked about the male anatomy too much and accused him of being homosexual. He once counseled me on sexual immorality about my boyfriend and he was somewhat graphic. Almost as if he was really needing an outlet. That's my biggest issue with the single life. I don't think it's possible not to fall into sexual sin. Outside of Jesus I don't think it's possible. Hopefully that wasn't a sinful comment.

The truth is its a real struggle. I pray the Lord has mercy.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My grandma died and my grandfather had been taking care of her sickly body for years and it was an awful experience.

If he truly loved her he was probably glad to be there for her.
Our rewards will be in Heaven -- it ain't easy here.

Being married?
Can be enjoyable most of the time if both parties make a firm decision to follow the Word.
Realizing that due to the fall -- we are dealing with sinners here.
Hard for anything to be even near perfect.

How much time do I spent in repent mode? -- often.
My poor wife.
Lord have mercy on her -- have mercy on this household.

M-Bob

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

orangeness365

Feb 4, 2013
✟6,329.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I used to touch until my junior year of high school. I then thought about how weird it would be to do that while God was watching, so I stopped. I haven't masterbated in about ten years. I've never watched inappropriate content either. It's not like I didn't have sexual urges, but I just wouldn't act on it. Eventually my dreams became more sexual in nature sometimes, but I figure that I can't be held responsible for dreams. I still haven't had sex with anyone and I didn't have my first kiss until I was about 19 years old. When I I turned about 22 years old I started taking a bunch of antidepressants, and for the past four years i don't really have that many sexual urges because of the side effects of antidepressants. I used to tell myself that I would eventually be able to act on my sexual urges because I planned on marrying to someone I fell in love with when I became an adult. But since taking the antidepressants I haven't really worried about it that much. Sometimes I have sexual thoughts cross my mind out of habit from the years before I was on antidepressants. I had many sexual thoughts cross my mind all the time when I was younger. I think the Bible says it's better to marry if you can't control your sexual urges, but it's up to you.

1 Corinthians 7:8-9

Upvote 0

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
OP, you ask a lot of really good questions. I was married and we had a son. Husband ran away from home when son was only a couple of months old. A few years later, I rekindled a friendship I had with a guy whose sister I grew up with. We were together for about 3 years when he died from brain cancer. I loved him, and he taught me what it was like to have a God-honouring and healthy relationship. Even though we had only been together for three years, losing him was the hardest thing I ever had to go through. I was devastated and I had to learn who I was without him - he was so much part of my identity, and we had an incredible spiritual connection that was broken when he died. Part of who I was died with him. I was single for the next ten years. I had no intention of ever marrying or loving anyone ever again. But after a decade, I came to see that I did not want to grow old alone. So... I found a companion and we married. Being single has one set of problems - loneliness, no sex, feeling like a fifth wheel when out with friends, finding single friends my age, etc. Lots of hard times. When I married, I traded in all those problems for a different set of problems - learning to live with someone else, tolerating their quirks, working through conflicts, navigating different opinions, values, ideas, tastes, etc. One set of problems is not more difficult than the other - they are just different. One thing I have had to learn to avoid doing is thinking of the grass being greener in the decision I did not make (ie, the grass is greener being single, when I am married).

Here is the thing. If you find someone that you are spiritually connected to, and you have a healthy relationship, that is worth every minute of grief you might have when they pass away. I have no regrets loving my deceased. I have no regrets mourning him for a decade. I have no regrets in moving on (even though this marriage is not as easy as my relationship was with my deceased).

I think what you have to figure out is whether loving another would be worth the troubles that relationships bring. And you can't do that unless it's on an individual basis. If you go about your life the way you are, and are open to marriage if the right one happens to come along, then you don't have to make this decision right now. You can be content with your singleness for now, and if you find someone you want to marry, you can also be content married.

As for the sexual temptations that come along with it, I do have to say that lust is a sin....but only you know where you are in your relationship with God, and only you can decide when that is a sin you're ready to deal with. When you are convinced that you love God more than you enjoy the occasional pleasure, that is when it will be time to deal with it. The thing is, we all still have sin even after we know that we love God more than we love pleasure of the flesh. It's why we rely on Jesus to be our salvation. I'm not saying it's a license to sin, but that you do your best to abstain and if you mess up, you know you have a Saviour who advocates on your behalf with the Father.

Reactions: Poppyseed78
Upvote 0

farout

Standing firm for Christ
Nov 23, 2015
Mid West of the good USA
✟14,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Marriage is a good thing, well it has been for me, and my wife. Marriage is a lot more about learning to love. Marriage is about showing affection and care, a deep kind of acceptance.

I enjoy everything about marriage, it builds up my life, as I know I have some one who is always there for me. Sex is a part of marriage, and it is a good part of it. But again sex comes down to showing love.

Sex by its self to me would never be satisfying without the commitment of marriage. I believe you would one day regret if you bypassed marriage for the single life.

Kids also are great fun.

I highly recommend marriage.

So far no one has brought up a huge RED flag in what se has said. What about Jesus Christ in her life? If she says she is a Christian, she most likely is not or she does not grasp that the Bible says immoral people will NOT inherit heaven. God has a standard for Christians, and if we do not fall in line with what the Word says, then there is more than sufficient proof to say we are not saved, born again. The same goes for greedy, and other on the list forum in the NT.

Why do men and woman not want to Follow the Teachings of Jesus? Because sin if so much more pleasurable, for a very short time. When Jesus says "I never knew you!" then the price for not being a Follower comes due.

Without Jesus we do not know how to really "LOVE". A man or a woman is incomplete without a mate. One reason God made marriage, is so we are NOT alone. Aloneness is one reason single people die so much younger that married people.

A marriage is can bring happiness, and joy, but only under the Lordship of Jesus Christ as the foundation of a marriage. But one fact books don't tell us is marriage takes work, and at times the stress is hard, but these stressors make marriages strong. Many give up when these points come, and they start again with a new person, so they can find a reason to not like them too. This is often repeated three or four times. Marriage is the proving grounds for God to work His love in two peoples lives willing to learn to love each other.

My wife and I are working on our 48th year, we are still learning how to love one another. We have 4 adult children and 11 grand children and one great grandson. That's a lot of love and it takes a lot or hard work.

Reactions: Bat Melek
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,748.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I don't worry about it that much. I figure if she's old and I'm old, then it will have been worth it because of the years we would have had together.

Upvote 0

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Farout, I know this is not a debate board, but to claim that single people are incomplete is declaring that about 10% of the population is incomplete. There are more women in the world than men, so there are already that many "incomplete" women. Now factor in the men who choose not to marry for whatever reason, and the gay population. Now you're looking at even more than 10%. How can you possibly say they are "incomplete"? No one - single or married - is incomplete as long as they have a relationship with God through Jesus. If the OP chooses not to marry, that is between her and God. What ever happened to the verse that claims that Jesus is sufficient? He is all she needs in order to be complete.

Upvote 0