• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

I don't know, but maybe...

sculleywr

Orthodox Colitis Survivor
Jul 23, 2011
Starke, FL
✟22,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
I've known for a while that I don't relate to the world quite the way others around me do. I've been afraid to admit that difference for quite a while, but I have an amazing girlfriend who has worked with autistic kids, and she has convinced me that I should, at some point, talk to an expert about it. I'm not saying I am or anything because I feel like that would be...I don't know what to call it.

Anyways, I'm wanting to know what I should do in the meantime, since my employment situation only recently changed and I won't be able to go to a paid for psychiatrist without insurance. I'm just looking for advice.

Kyrie eleison

FergusonTO35

Jun 24, 2013
✟7,723.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
There are many resources available to you for free or low cost. I would start by asking a church pastor, county health department, or local charitable organizations. Unless you need medication, a psychiatrist would probably just tell you to start seeing a counsellor. Most psychiatrists only practice medicine nowadays.

I will say that, in my experience, AS is an integral part of the way you are made. There is no "cure" for it, your best option is to learn how to utilize the strengths that you have and minimize the impact of your deficiencies.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Be careful with governmental social services. The ones that I have encountered refused to acknowledge that adults could be on the spectrum and sought to give me a far worse (mis)diagnosis. It turns out that is very common for Twice-Exceptionals like me.

The prescription for Aspergers is training in social skills. That training (from books, for example) is harmless if you are not officially on the spectrum. And it may improve your life, if you are.

Upvote 0