Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
TEDSTONE WAFRE, HEREFORDSHIRE,UK (ANS) -- Do professing atheists understand the type of human being they are claiming to be?

The word 'atheist' came into being a considerable time after the earlier word 'theist'. A theist being any human being who owned, depended upon, bowed before, or worshipped any form of 'god'. The god could be anyone or anything, the form of the god didn't matter; the fact that the person had a god, of any kind, made him or her a theist. The god could be the moon, the sun, the sky, a wooden idol, another person, a monkey, a dolphin, or even an invisible all-powerful divinity, of which there were many. The presence of any form of 'god' in a person's life renders the person a theist.

http://www.assistnews.net/ansarticle.asp?URL=Stories/s06020122.htm

I <3 Abraham

Go Cubbies!
Jun 7, 2005
✟18,730.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Robert43 said:
TEDSTONE WAFRE, HEREFORDSHIRE,UK (ANS) -- Do professing atheists understand the type of human being they are claiming to be?

The word 'atheist' came into being a considerable time after the earlier word 'theist'. A theist being any human being who owned, depended upon, bowed before, or worshipped any form of 'god'. The god could be anyone or anything, the form of the god didn't matter; the fact that the person had a god, of any kind, made him or her a theist. The god could be the moon, the sun, the sky, a wooden idol, another person, a monkey, a dolphin, or even an invisible all-powerful divinity, of which there were many. The presence of any form of 'god' in a person's life renders the person a theist.

http://www.assistnews.net/ansarticle.asp?URL=Stories/s06020122.htm

This is not news nor is it an event of any kind, it is a badly constructed op-ed that is little more than a semantic exercise. The person who wrote this letter to the editor argued that the term "God" ought to include things such as fame and fortune, thereby making the term "atheist" a misnomer. This unjustified juxtaposition demeans theistic religion and demonstrates a profound misunderstanding of human spirituality as compared with ordinary worldly aspirations.

Upvote 0

AnotherAlias

Feb 27, 2006
✟404.00
Faith
Christian
It's apparent to me that God has revealed Himself to everyone in some form or another. Atheists just prefer to reject this. They are more comfortable with restricting their experience of reality to their five senses.

The article does mention how many atheists spend a great deal of their time propagating their non-belief and/or the denial of God's existence. It's interesting that they devote so much of their life and free time to what they feel is a noble act. It appears that their ideology contains within it, a certain measure of importance, in relation to arguing with believers about God's presence.

One would think that they would find something more productive to do with their time. Spending hours trying to argue against the existence of an entity that they cannot sense with their taste, nose, ears, eyes, or touch seems to me, to be a waste of their time, in essence. Unless of course they are sometimes leaving room for doubt.

In other words, my feeling is that some atheists (not all of course) secretly do believe in some form of God and that they truly want to know Him, but because of some reason, unbeknownst to him/her, they profess non-belief. Spending time arguing against God's existence gives them valuable interaction time with people that do have faith in God and somewhere along the way, they, in their heart of hearts, secretly are looking for anotherperson to explain the logic behind faith in God for them to be able to cross over to the believers side.

Of course, this is only a theory of mine and it doesn't include all people that reject God's existence. I have no data to back up my belief, so asking me for a link, or much more elaboration is futile.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Upvote 0

pantsman52

Senior Veteran
Dec 29, 2003
Fairfield
✟4,755.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
AnotherAlias said:
It's apparent to me that God has revealed Himself to everyone in some form or another. Atheists just prefer to reject this. They are more comfortable with restricting their experience of reality to their five senses.

The article does mention how many atheists spend a great deal of their time propagating their non-belief and/or the denial of God's existence. It's interesting that they devote so much of their life and free time to what they feel is a noble act. It appears that their ideology contains within it, a certain measure of importance, in relation to arguing with believers about God's presence.

One would think that they would find something more productive to do with their time. Spending hours trying to argue against the existence of an entity that they cannot sense with their taste, nose, ears, eyes, or touch seems to me, to be a waste of their time, in essence. Unless of course they are sometimes leaving room for doubt.

In other words, my feeling is that some atheists (not all of course) secretly do believe in some form of God and that they truly want to know Him, but because of some reason, unbeknownst to him/her, they profess non-belief. Spending time arguing against God's existence gives them valuable interaction time with people that do have faith in God and somewhere along the way, they, in their heart of hearts, secretly are looking for anotherperson to explain the logic behind faith in God for them to be able to cross over to the believers side.

Of course, this is only a theory of mine and it doesn't include all people that reject God's existence. I have no data to back up my belief, so asking me for a link, or much more elaboration is futile.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

I come here to debate because those who believe in Christianity greatly affect my life. They influence what is taught in my countries science classes, what medical research is allowed, whether a woman can have an abortion or not, and the marriage laws. There are lots of people who spend their time debating about Darth Vader or many other story characters, but are we to say that they believe these characters to be real because they talk as if they were? I think you need to re-evaluate your position.

Upvote 0

DhaliClone

Oct 28, 2004
✟17,207.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
AnotherAlias said:
It's apparent to me that God has revealed Himself to everyone in some form or another.

Any scientific, tangible evidence for this?

Atheists just prefer to reject this. They are more comfortable with restricting their experience of reality to their five senses.

The senses only perceive reality. Your eyes turn light into chemical and electric pulses, which are sent to your brain - that change turns the stimulus from an experience to a perception.

There are a number of cases when your senses fail to accurately represent reality. For example, if I stare at a picture too long, and look away, I can still see a faint outline of the image I was just looking at. Is it really there? No. But, does my brain still perceive it? Yes.

Because of poor and easily "tricked" senses, it is impossible to directly experience reality.

If reality is truly God, how can a person be blamed for perceiving this reality wrong, when whoever designed our senses did a very poor job? (This is a rhetorical question, but you're more than welcome to answer, if you feel so inclined.)

It appears that their ideology contains within it, a certain measure of importance, in relation to arguing with believers about God's presence.

So, Christians never try to "spread the Word"? Christians never try to convert others? You're living in a fantasy world if you think this is true.

One would think that they would find something more productive to do with their time. Spending hours trying to argue for the existence of an entity that they cannot sense with their taste, nose, ears, eyes, or touch seems to me, to be a waste of their time, in essence. Unless of course they are sometimes leaving room for doubt.

In other words, my feeling is that some atheists (not all of course) secretly do believe in some form of God and that they truly want to know Him, but because of some reason, unbeknownst to him/her, they profess non-belief.

You're probably right, some atheists aren't true atheists. Just like some who call themselves Christians aren't true Christians (Fred Phelps, Pat Robertson, etc).

It's not a theory. A theory is "a working hypothesis that is considered probable based on experimental evidence or factual or conceptual analysis and is accepted as a basis for experimentation." You said yourself you had no data, no sources, no links, and no more elaboration. It's not a theory, it's a guess.

;)

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
This guy is close.

A thiest is a person that believes in a god,
an ATHIEST is a person that believes in no god, A-theist,A=without, thiest=god.

You can worship money or riches, or even dolphins but you would still be an athiest.

Because you don't worship a god.(ok technically you could make up a dolphin god, and then be a thiestical person. a god being some kind of higher being, but anything man made can not be a higher power then man.)
Go forth and fish no more.:scratch:
Be fisher of men not dolphins?:wave:

While I am not sure this is the proper place for this post, it is here and I thought I would ad my 2 cents, on this silly topic.

thiest=someone who worships a higher being.

Athiest=someone who worships no higher being, or believes no higher being exists.

Upvote 0

simplicity

incredibly ordinary member
Jun 29, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
✟3,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I haven't met many true humanists but plenty of atheists. Both humanists and atheists seem to suffer from a superiority complex of sorts. They generally feel that religious people must be less intelligent than them. I certainly feel they are entitled to their opinion as long as I am not subsidizing their activities. But it's not really an issue to me how they feel about all sorts of things so long as they are good people from a practical standpoint.

I've heard an individual named Stephen Lewis sometimes. He is not a religious person at all. But he is out there helping to fight the AIDS crisis in Africa side-by-side with Christian relief organizations. Meanwhile there are quasi-intellectuals often funded by the public discussing their superiority over other people but who do nothing else but degrade others. I just don't feel they should be publically funded if that's all they do.

Reactions: Latreia
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nightson

Take two snuggles and call me in the morning
Jul 11, 2005
California
✟5,839.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
simplicity said:
I haven't met many true humanists but plenty of atheists. Both humanists and atheists seem to suffer from a superiority complex of sorts. They generally feel that religious people must be less intelligent than them.

You know something I dicovered, that this belief is actually very prevalent among those same believers. Namely that atheists are intellectually superior. That's why you hear things like, "He's been blinded by his own intelligence.." so on and so on. Of course being an atheist doesn't make one smart, it's being smart that makes one smart.

Upvote 0

one love

Dec 17, 2003
clear lake tx
Visit site
✟1,475.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Republican
JPPT1974 said:
I don't agree with his beliefs
But also we need to support him
Even if we don't agree
Because that's his opinion!
I am not sure what you are saying. Hitler's opinion was to kill all the Jews, you support this?:groupray:

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
one love said:
I am not sure what you are saying. Hitler's opinion was to kill all the Jews, you support this?:groupray:

Everyone, including Hitler, has the right to their own opinion. White or black supremisists have the right to their opinion.
Its when they take action to hurt others that a law is broken. Someone can think that trees are superior beings, and until they attack a lumberjack they are free to believe what they want.

Upvote 0

AnotherAlias

Feb 27, 2006
✟404.00
Faith
Christian
You guys really need to read posts a little more thoroughly. These are two paragraphs in my initial post. You may have read more into the post than is actually there.

AA said:
In other words, my feeling is that some atheists (not all of course) secretly do believe in some form of God and that they truly want to know Him,

I never said ALL atheists, I said SOME.

For me to claim the ALL atheists secretly believe in God, is as absurd as anyone claiming that NO atheists secretly believe in God.

Then this paragraph should tell you more.

AA said:

And yes, N42...I absolutely believe that God exists. Does my faith wane? Sometimes, it does, yes. Not my faith that God exists...but my faith that I am worthy enough for Him to accept me into His Kingdom. My doubts arise from my own sinful actions and thoughts.

But, never do I doubt His existence.

Upvote 0

AnotherAlias

Feb 27, 2006
✟404.00
Faith
Christian
DhaliClone said:
It's not a theory. A theory is "a working hypothesis that is considered probable based on experimental evidence or factual or conceptual analysis and is accepted as a basis for experimentation." You said yourself you had no data, no sources, no links, and no more elaboration. It's not a theory, it's a guess.

;)

No, it's actually a theory, not a guess per se.

If you read the defintion, it's clear that my "theory" fits into 5+6.

dictionary said:
the·o·ry n. pl.
  1. A set of statements or principles devised to explain a group of facts or phenomena, especially one that has been repeatedly tested or is widely accepted and can be used to make predictions about natural phenomena.
  2. The branch of a science or art consisting of its explanatory statements, accepted principles, and methods of analysis, as opposed to practice: a fine musician who had never studied theory.
  3. A set of theorems that constitute a systematic view of a branch of mathematics.
  4. Abstract reasoning; speculation: a decision based on experience rather than theory.
  5. A belief or principle that guides action or assists comprehension or judgment: staked out the house on the theory that criminals usually return to the scene of the crime.
    [*]An assumption based on limited information or knowledge; a conjecture.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=theory

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JPPT1974

April Showers and Easter 2024!
Mar 18, 2004
Small Town, USA
✟569,761.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Billnew said:

Everyone, including Hitler, has the right to their own opinion. White or black supremisists have the right to their opinion.
Its when they take action to hurt others that a law is broken. Someone can think that trees are superior beings, and until they attack a lumberjack they are free to believe what they want.

Yeah because it is a thing known as the first amendment
They should had a little stricter more laws
When it comes to KKK or Hitler like people
But what's done is done!

Upvote 0

AnotherAlias

Feb 27, 2006
✟404.00
Faith
Christian
pantsman52 said:
There are lots of people who spend their time debating about Darth Vader or many other story characters, but are we to say that they believe these characters to be real because they talk as if they were?
There is much more at stake when we're talking about the real dark side. Your analogy doesn't work, because billions of people believe in a god of some form. Not so many are concerned with the fact that Luke Skywalker is the actual son of Anakin.

There might be a few people that actually percieve Star Wars as truth, but we usually medicate those people and try to prevent them from harming themselves or others with their lightsabers.

Belief and debate of a Supreme Being is not analogous to discussions about Palpatine ruling the Empire.

Upvote 0

I <3 Abraham

Go Cubbies!
Jun 7, 2005
✟18,730.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
one love said:

Since this thread is apparently about defining common words, Hitler had more than an "opinion" concerning the killing of Jews. Opinions never hurt anybody, Hitler hurt a lot of people.

Upvote 0

AnotherAlias

Feb 27, 2006
✟404.00
Faith
Christian
I <3 Abraham said:
Since this thread is apparently about defining common words, Hitler had more than an "opinion" concerning the killing of Jews. Opinions never hurt anybody, Hitler hurt a lot of people.
Agreed.

It seems that I've landed myself in a forum that people need assistance defining words, sometimes.

No problem. Just happy to be helpful.

Upvote 0