Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Programs that work only until the effort of the flesh fails mean, by definition, that they are not by the Spirit. People that try to achieve something that God wants them to have by their own efforts don't work for one very simple reason: they are putting themselves first instead of putting God first. Can you cure your addiction to inappropriate content by yourself? Sadly, no. Can God cure your addiction to inappropriate content? Of course He can; he is God. Pray and ask God to change your heart. He will do it.

I recently overcame food addiction. I was unable to control what and how much I ate. Every meal and snack was an event. I prayed to God about it, then tried to find my own solution! I tried various weight loss programs, counted calories, read a few books -- and nothing happened. After focusing on destroying the sin of overeating I ate just the same -- and worse. So I decided to wait on God.

Now I am no longer addicted! Do you know what I did? Absolutely nothing! When I gave up on achieving my goal myself and just trusted God to change my heart, that is just what He did. I can eat anything now without being tempted. Yesterday I had raspberries and almonds for breakfast, half a restaurant salad for lunch (saving the rest for today), and (for Father's Day) had 4 oz. of steak, some "jade rice", and an avocado-citrus salad for dinner (with no dessert). Before I would have had fried eggs, bacon, and toast for breakfast, a cheeseburger with fries for lunch, 8 oz. of steak, a baked potato with sour cream, garlic bread, a salad with ranch dressing, and cake with ice ream for dessert. That, my friend, is indulging in lust. God simply took the desire away from me by overcoming the sin that controlled me and replaced it with a healthy way of eating with a real appreciation of the food that He provides.

He can and will do the same for you and your inappropriate content addiction! Just stop trying to solve the problem yourself and let God be God. Ask him to remove the lust from your heart then just let Him do it. Pray, read the Bible, attend church, talk to others, and let God change you from within. Stop trying to do what you have asked God to do for you and He will bless you.

Reactions: psalms 91
Upvote 0

Near

In Christ we rise
Dec 7, 2012
✟24,154.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
inappropriate content addiction isn't a disease to be cured, just like adultery isn't a disease, it's a crime. God commands man to obey. People watch inappropriate content out of freewill. It sounds almost as if some posts are saying, don't stop watching inappropriate content of your own effort... wait for God to make you stop...

I hope that's not what people are saying.

Upvote 0
A

acceptjesus

inappropriate content addiction isn't a disease to be cured, just like adultery isn't a disease, it's a crime. God commands man to obey. People watch inappropriate content out of freewill. It sounds almost as if some posts are saying, don't stop watching inappropriate content of your own effort... wait for God to make you stop...

I hope that's not what people are saying.
I know what they mean. It's happened to me before God just takes the desire away. I'm putting effort in as well like I said in a previous post I set up an accountability partner with X3watch (xxxchurch). I'm praying that the Lord would just take away the desire.

Upvote 0

Near

In Christ we rise
Dec 7, 2012
✟24,154.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I know what they mean. It's happened to me before God just takes the desire away. I'm putting effort in as well like I said in a previous post I set up an accountability partner with X3watch (xxxchurch). I'm praying that the Lord would just take away the desire.

Yeah, but its like people are saying don't even try to stop of your own effort. Effort plus prayer works, but zero effort, does nothing but leave people dead in sin.

What works is choosing to say no to temptation, and running out the door, and reading the bible, getting the mind on spiritual things. Are people actually saying they are no longer tempted in that area?

It does take great effort.

Upvote 0

FaithOfSaints

Jun 30, 2013
UK
✟7,644.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Everything you have a desire to do, including the sexual urge itself, is motivated (caused) by a spirit. So which spirit is acting on you when you look at inappropriate contentography?

If a fallen angel motivates you to do something, then it is wicked.

But if the Elohim of Isaac, Abraham and Jacob uses it, then even inappropriate contentography is not evil. It is "eating ham."

But since the world, and the Christian world, do not serve Him they have problems: Almost everything they do is at least partially sinful (lost), including watching TV.

Upvote 0

Near

In Christ we rise
Dec 7, 2012
✟24,154.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was thinking on Romans 8:13 and it says if by the spirit you put to death the deeds of the flesh you shall live. Does this imply/mean that by the spirit I CAN put to death/STOP sin/deeds of the flesh/inappropriate contentography?

The thing people miss is the first half of the verse. It's actually in my signature below.
The implication is that a person who desires to follow Christ, does cease his sins, meaning the deeds of the flesh, and he does this naturally as a follower, by the Spirit, in accordance with the will and influence of the Spirit. Anyone can stop viewing the vile stuff, Muslims, and atheists too. Doing it by the Spirit, is doing it for Christ, in true obedience to God.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When we allow the lord Jesus to love us..his love effects us.
The effect is... we find ourselves ceasing from acting in a manner that is harmful to us.we follow after the one that loves us.
Be careful not to promote self effort of flesh rather then reckoning ones self as dead to sin.

After all it is not the one who says "look at me I did not do those things,I did not make mistakes,I am not like those people over there."
That gets forgiven.. but the one who in utter realisation of the inability to save self,smotes thier chest in broken humility crying out"God,forgive me I am a sinner"...this is the one that goes their way..forgiven.

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
I don't believe myself to be saved, due to me not letting go of a sin in my life (inappropriate contentography) I've set up an accountability program with my pastor. I haven't viewed it since but I'm constantly on the verge of "giving in". I think I'm lost and this leads me to believe that I'm still under the dominion of sin. Am I repentant? Someone told me repentance is willingly turning from sin and turning towards Christ "I don't want to view it anymore" so am I repentant? When I tell the Lord I don't want to do whatever sin it may be am I repenting when I do/say this? I just feel as sin is overpowering and it leads me to believe that I can't repent Please Help!

said Jesus. “Everything is possible for one who believes.” 24 Immediately the boy’s father exclaimed, “I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!”
25 When Jesus saw that a crowd was running to the scene, he rebuked the impure spirit. “You deaf and mute spirit,” he said, “I command you, come out of him and never enter him again.”
26 The spirit shrieked, convulsed him violently and came out. The boy looked so much like a corpse that many said, “He’s dead.” 27 But Jesus took him by the hand and lifted him to his feet, and he stood up.
28 After Jesus had gone indoors, his disciples asked him privately, “Why couldn’t we drive it out?”
29 He replied, “This kind can come out only by prayer.[a

The man chose to believe even though he struggled with belief. Christ will honor you decision, despite your utter brokenness.

Your no different than me or anyone in this forum. We are all utterly broken.

Your healing and faith is a long war with many battles. You will lose many battles on the way to victory.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Near

In Christ we rise
Dec 7, 2012
✟24,154.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well no one really has answered what I was asking I do however appreciate the responses! but like I was asking does Romans 8:13 when it say if by the spirit you put to death the deeds of the body you shall live does that mean/imply that by the spirit I CAN put to death sin and inappropriate contentography selfishness etc....?

Yes, and as I said, it means through obedience to God.
The distinction is "by the Spirit", and you who are dead in sin, will live.

Even a muslim can quit watching inappropriate contentography. Also remember, it's selfishness that leads to the crime of inappropriate content viewing, it's not a disease that we can't control, it makes someone a bad person, you also have to realize it's a crime against God, not some imperfection caused by an inherent disability or disease.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, but its like people are saying don't even try to stop of your own effort. Effort plus prayer works, but zero effort, does nothing but leave people dead in sin.

What works is choosing to say no to temptation, and running out the door, and reading the bible, getting the mind on spiritual things. Are people actually saying they are no longer tempted in that area?

It does take great effort.
I don't think anyone has said don't even try.. but rather,have faith in Jesus who has already tried and prevailed.
The thing is ,when freedom comes,when it is appropriated by the holy spirit, it is not an effort to resist inappropriate content.you simply do not want it.
I loathe cucumber ..I do not need to exercise resistance and effort to avoid eating it.

When we allow the lord Jesus to work in us by the power of his Holy spirit such a transformation that we despise the sin we once we're imprisoned to in a warped concept of loving it.we enter into his rest.we need not strive
endlessly until we are worn out and fail.
The evidence that we are delivered is that we no longer want it any more.
The evidence that we have not yet had that freedom from sin established in us is..we strive against it .
Why are you striving against the temptation?because you desire to do that thing.it tempts us because it is in our heart to do it.(james)
How can we change our sinful heart??
We(i) cannot .but JESUS can.

Sometimes folks forget that salvation itself is the greatest of miricles .

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Near

In Christ we rise
Dec 7, 2012
✟24,154.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't think anyone has said don't even try.. but rather,have faith in Jesus who has already tried and prevailed.
The thing is ,when freedom comes,when it is appropriated by the holy spirit, it is not an effort to resist inappropriate content.you simply do not want it.
I loathe cucumber ..I do not need to exercise resistance and effort to avoid eating it.

When we allow the lord Jesus to work in us by the power of his Holy spirit such a transformation that we despise the sin we once we're imprisoned to in a warped concept of loving it.we enter into his rest.we need not strive
endlessly until we are worn out and fail.
The evidence that we are delivered is that we no longer want it any more.
The evidence that we have not yet has that freedom from sin established in us is..we strive against it .
Why are you striving against the temtation?because you desire to do that thing.it tempts us because it is in our heart to do it.
How can we change our sinful heart??
We(i) cannot .but JESUS can.

Sometimes folks forget that salvation itself is the greatest of miricles .

My point was people are making it sound as if it's bad to try to stop of our own effort, they're calling it a work of the flesh. What people don't understand is that work of the flesh means sinful deeds, such as lust, greed, wrath, and etc.
It does not mean, "trying to stop sinning of your own effort".

Yes, have faith in Jesus who was prevailed, but faith without works is dead. So effort must be there.

I know for a fact, that if I were to watch movies, play videogames, stop reading my bible, stop praying, I would most likely go back to my sins, and sin it up. It takes work to stay on track in the midst of distractions, and temptations.

You make it sound as if you promote entire sanctification, but unfortunately I'm still tempted every single day, even multiple times a day. I am still tempted, yet I resist temptation. That's how it works. Secondly, what makes you say "sinful heart"? In what way am I tempted? Well, for example, a pretty woman comes by and my body tells me go look at her, she's the one. My body sends signals to me, and without words says "joy will come". Within those seconds, I think, "yeah... sorta, not really", and I remember Christ. Then urges go through me, and I say to myself, "no!", and I repeat to myself, " for this is the will of God, your sanctification, that you abstain from sexual immorality, that each of you know how to possess his own vessel in holiness and honor..." And by God's word, I persevere through moments of temptation throughout my day.

Did I sin against God by being tempted? I don't see how I did. I was not being sexually immoral, I resisted entertaining thoughts that are inappropriate. I overcame in Christ.

The evidence that we are freed from sin, is that we aren't in sin.
The evidence that we are sold under sin is when we are living in sin.

John 8:34Jesus answered them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who commits sin is the slave of sin.

The bible never says that if we are tempted, we are not free. Otherwise, everyone who is tempted is a slave of sin, and that Christ, who was tempted was a slave of sin... Which is not true.

I would say that over time as a Christian grows temptation can become much easier to resist, but I don't believe anyone is sinning merely by being tempted.

What counts is how we respond to temptation, and it's not a sin to be tempted, for even Christ was tempted.

Synergy is the key. Working together with God.
We work with Jesus to have our hearts changed. So we can change, with Jesus's divine help.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rapturesc

Jun 17, 2014
✟7,668.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't believe myself to be saved, due to me not letting go of a sin in my life (inappropriate contentography) I've set up an accountability program with my pastor. I haven't viewed it since but I'm constantly on the verge of "giving in". I think I'm lost and this leads me to believe that I'm still under the dominion of sin. Am I repentant? Someone told me repentance is willingly turning from sin and turning towards Christ "I don't want to view it anymore" so am I repentant? When I tell the Lord I don't want to do whatever sin it may be am I repenting when I do/say this? I just feel as sin is overpowering and it leads me to believe that I can't repent Please Help!
Hi there, Sometimes these things take time to beat and it is difficult to overcome an addiction to inappropriate contentography. If you are trusting Jesus then you are saved and eventually things will change. The fruit that a christian produces takes time, we are not instantly perfect when we become a christian, despite what some people might tell you. So just keep trusting in Jesus and you will eventually overcome. Remember we are righteous because Jesus took our place, we are being made righteous as we overcome these difficulties and we will be made righteous when at last we meet Jesus and become perfect.

All the best in your struggles
Rapturesc:)

Upvote 0

Light hearted

May 15, 2008
✟8,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I'd like to focus on your first sentence, basically you are letting sin, whatever sin it may be, block the acceptance of the Holy Spirit.

The covenant of Grace is not based on your ability to overcome sin in order to become saved. This is the yoke of bandage that has made a mess of the true Gospel.

Look at Jesus' walk here on earth, it was the ones who realized and admitted to Jesus that they were sinners and He never rebuked them, He went to be and eat with them.

It was the ones who would not admit their sinful nature that Jesus rebuked them, He actually told them to go and follow the Law of Moses, which was impossible for mankind to do.

You acceptjesus, are the perfect candidate for Jesus to come to and reside within you, you are admitting your faults and in you heart are looking for a savour.

First accept Jesus, then His Spirit will come and 1) give you the ability to turn away from your addictions. 2) through His loving kindness and the price He paid on the cross, He paid for the condemnation (wrath) that you would receive for your addictions.

Romans 8 is a good chapter but you need to start at the beginning, chapter 1, there is no condemnation for those in Christ. First identify yourself, then read the chapter knowing your identity in Christ.

Get the accepting of Jesus right in your heart, then the rest will follow.

Don't be disillusioned, accepting Jesus and losing all your sinful desires can require time, you are a new man, yet, in Romans you will find Paul also mentions the war within that the old man and new man will be a continuous battle.

The bottom line, once saved, don't view your relationship with God by your actions so much as continuously view your relationship with God by what Jesus has done for you. Every time you fail, satan is there to point out your faults, Jesus paid a price for you to no longer be under satans power and influence, focus on Jesus and you'll find over time the effects of the Holy Spirit slowly transforming you.

So, does accepting Jesus fulfill Romans 8:13, sure, but it all begins with accepting Jesus first.

Hope this helps, Jim

Upvote 0

RBPerry

Christian Baby Boomer
Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2013
Northern California
✟86,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
You have been given some very good advice by several here. One thing I question is if you feel temptation is a sin? Read 1 Cor 10:13, it promises that no matter what temptation you face, there is a way out. If you are resisting the temptation, and turning away from the sin, then you are being victorious. Many people have various hooks in their lives that constantly attempt to turn them away from doing what they know to be right. The temptation is not sin, acting on the temptation is.
inappropriate contentography gives a very ugly meaning to what God intended love making to be between a man and his wife. I applaud your openness and honesty, remain accountable to your accountability partner.
I know God loves you, and wants the very best for you.

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
Well no one really has answered what I was asking I do however appreciate the responses! but like I was asking does Romans 8:13 when it say if by the spirit you put to death the deeds of the body you shall live does that mean/imply that by the spirit I CAN put to death sin and inappropriate contentography selfishness etc....?

Your not listening. We are telling you it is process. You need to at least try, then the real healing is done by the spirit. It takes time, we all have repetitive sins. We have fallen natures.

Upvote 0